PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated... two-handed weapon rig-- how?

Archangel35757
11-07-2010, 12:04 AM
How would you go about creating a rig for a two-handed weapon that permits rotations about multiple points/space switching (i.e., left-hand_rot_helper, right-hand_rot_helper, tip_rot_helper, etc.)(to backdrive a character rig's IK arms/hands that would be linked to it...). I'm using 3ds Max 8. Any help & guidance from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/2489/multiplepivotscp.png (http://img828.imageshack.us/i/multiplepivotscp.png/)

JaredTaylor
11-07-2010, 02:50 AM
If I were going to do a two handed weapon, I'd place just place a locator on the handle, and parent the sword under it, then parent the IK hands controllers to that locator, so when you move the locator the sword moves and the hands move with it.

As for rotating from the tip, I've never had to do what you described, but I imagine you could simply make a switch that changes the parenting constraints on each locator to control where it rotates from. I don't know if you'd get a cycle if the parent constraints but have set driven keys on them.

Sorry but.. what software are you using? Can't help much without knowing.

Archangel35757
11-07-2010, 05:08 AM
If I were going to do a two handed weapon, I'd place just place a locator on the handle, and parent the sword under it, then parent the IK hands controllers to that locator, so when you move the locator the sword moves and the hands move with it.

As for rotating from the tip, I've never had to do what you described, but I imagine you could simply make a switch that changes the parenting constraints on each locator to control where it rotates from. I don't know if you'd get a cycle if the parent constraints but have set driven keys on them.

Sorry but.. what software are you using? Can't help much without knowing.

I stated that I'm using 3ds Max 8. Also, if it was just a single pivot then it would be straightforward as you say. But in trying to achieve a hierarchy that permits multiple pivots, I keep running into dependency loop issues. I suppose they're not truly necessary but would seem to save time animating. I thought about using a bone (plus nub) and a single IK chain to use the IK goal to act as a pointer (for when you simply want to point the sword)... but couldn't make it work with the 3 pivot points I wanted-- maybe two would suffice.

Is it possible to Group & Ungroup objects while animating? If so then perhaps I could just go with the right-hand pivot point and when the left hand is attached group the left and right rotation helpers so that the pivot is the midpoint between the two? I'll play with that tomorrow and see...

JaredTaylor
11-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Oops, looks like I overlooked that part of your post, how embarassing!

Ok, I don't really know max, but you should still have constraints, and be able to animate the weight of the constraint, just play with that.

Archangel35757
11-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Oops, looks like I overlooked that part of your post, how embarassing!

Ok, I don't really know max, but you should still have constraints, and be able to animate the weight of the constraint, just play with that.

Don't sweat it... I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I've played with it some more this morning and I am able to achieve rotations about all 3 points-- but the controls don't stay with the sword-- and trying to make them do so seems to create dependency loops. I'll update this later with a screenshot of my hierarchy and attach the Max file in case any of the guru's want to impart knowledge to this newbie.

Duncs
11-07-2010, 08:26 PM
You could look into Phoelix's animatable pivot controller (http://joleanes.com/scripts_plugins/animatablePivot.php) - it's really cool!

Archangel35757
11-08-2010, 06:04 AM
You could look into Phoelix's animatable pivot controller (http://joleanes.com/scripts_plugins/animatablePivot.php) - it's really cool!

Unfortunately that plugin is for Max 9+.

I've attached my Max8 file... it does rotate about the three different points-- but like I said... the controls don't stay with the bones. I don't really need the 3rd, and 4th bones but had thought to somehow tie the left-hand_rot_helper to the last bone nub. Unfortunately I keep running into dependency loops when I try and constrain the bottom and top helpers to the bones.

Does anyone know how to do this with a hierarchial setup (constraints, wiring, scripting, etc.)???

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2010, 06:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.