PDA

View Full Version : using pflow tp create grass

nelpiper
11-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Hi guys. Im using MAX 2010 x64. Im using pflow to create grass. I created a custom shape and used shape instance operator and a position object operator to multiply and scatter the grass over a certain area. I put the particle count to 500000. I wanted more but it seams no matter how much I increase the particle count, it stays at 500000. Is this the limit for shape instances or is something else going on?
Thanks.

noouch
11-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Have you increased the max particle limit in the PFlow object?

nelpiper
11-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Yes I have. The workaround was to copy the event, change the seed and hook up both events to the same flow, therefore creating the 1 million particles i wanted. Still its just a cheap fix. I had the impression you could generate as many particles as I wanted though. Would that be the reason to use krakatoa?

JohnnyRandom
11-07-2010, 05:22 PM
It is possible you are hitting the per particle face limit in the render operator, switch the render operator to mesh per particle instead of single mesh. :)

EDIT: Forgot to reply to the second question...
Krakatoa may not be a good solution for the technique you are using, although if you were creating your grass with hair and fur, Krakatoa provides some tools to convert the hair strands into particles and this WOULD be a good solution. A brief on it HERE (http://software.primefocusworld.com/software/support/krakatoa/krakatoaparticleostream_maxscript_value.php)

nelpiper
11-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Yeah, that was it. I was reaching the limit of 5 million faces. Problem solved. Thanks guys, specially you John.

JohnnyRandom
11-08-2010, 06:22 PM
No worries, I have been stumped by that as well :)

NSF
11-09-2010, 05:20 AM
I know this isn't the answer but itoo software's forest plugin does a great job of distributing custom objects (ie grass blades) and I didn't run into a poly count limit when I scattered a forest (admittedly they were proxy trees).

CGTalk Moderation
11-09-2010, 05:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.