PDA

View Full Version : Maya 2011 Missing Fog Shadows

Dispatch88
11-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Our school just installed Maya 2011 in the labs, I did as well at home. While helping a friend light a scene involving a stage and spotlight, we discovered that shadows would not be cast through a fog shape. By shadows I mean where you can see the streaks of light and/or absence of light in the fog. I tried doing an isolated test in a new scene with just a spotlight and a sphere and got the same result. I then did the same test at home and still got the same result. I've tried raytraced, depthmap, and Renderman DeepMap.

Has anyone else had this problem?

InfernalDarkness
11-15-2010, 07:03 AM
This isn't "missing".

Volumetric shadows (ray-marching) are always a pain. Are you using Maya Software renderer, or mental ray?

If you're using mental ray, search the web for info on the parti_volume node. This is how it's done.

It's not possible to ray-march in Maya Software "out of the box". You need to use another rendering engine to do this. Light fog is weak and inaccurate.

If you're looking for ease-of-use, Maya is the wrong software to have chosen.

CGTalk Moderation
11-15-2010, 07:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.