PDA

View Full Version : Vue 9 Released

RLM
11-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Well, for those who don't already know. It looks like Vue 9 has now been released and is now shipping too. I am still reading through all the new features and updates at the moment, but it sounds good so far.

Cheers,

Jay

EricM
11-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Anyone has tested X-stream 9 with cinema 4D R12 ?

eworc
11-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Looks like they have improved on key areas. Will be interesting to read user reviews. Looks like the upgrade path will be:

Vue 8 Xstream to Vue 9 Xstream $395
Vue 8 Infinite to Vue 9 Infinite $295

Speculation:

Vue 8 Complete to Vue 9 Complete $195
Vue 8 Studio to Vue 9 Studio $95
Vue 8 Esprit to Vue 9 Espirit $50

RLM
11-05-2010, 05:53 PM
All looks good so far. Just have to wait until the end of November to test out the PLE edition now!

Bullit
11-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Anyone that already tested it can give some feedback?

ChristianZ
11-06-2010, 12:08 AM
I have not tested it really so far, but yes, it runs in R12 and also in 64bit on the Mac.
My first picture:
http://www.cardiomyocytes.com/images/test.jpg

Navstar
11-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Is it 64-bit on Mac yet? Is the C4D Mac plug-in 64-bit?

I'm eager to hear some people's experience with V9. The website always makes this upgrade sound amazing. User reports of core issues and bugs in previous versions always put a little rain cloud around the app.

Bullit
11-07-2010, 12:51 AM
The website always makes this upgrade sound amazing. User reports of core issues and bugs in previous versions always put a little rain cloud around the app.

Yeah that is my issue too.

ChristianZ
11-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Is it 64-bit on Mac yet? Is the C4D Mac plug-in 64-bit?

Sure. That was my configuration used for the image above, R12 and 64bit on OSX10.6.4.

The installer allows to put the plugin in all versions from C4D10-12 (and in other applications such as Maya).

swampthing
11-13-2010, 03:45 AM
haven't really kept up on vue as i bought it a few years ago and it was the most crash happy application i've ever used to the point it seemed like every time i went 5 mins and forgot to save it would always crash. I seem to remember Eon always saying the retail version didn't crash and the only ones crashing were the pirates which i found odd as i stared at my box every time after i crashed and the few other people i knew that bought it had the same problems. Their whole attitude kinda put me off as well i guess.

Still the same situation or has the crashing finally stopped?

ChristianZ
11-14-2010, 05:37 PM
It is not possible to make a general statement here. Crashes can also depend a lot on your graphics card and memory. The best is anyway to test the trial version and decide for yourself:
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/?page=try

dueyftw
11-14-2010, 11:02 PM
I got tired of vue crashing all the time, I bought and paid for a program that just didn't work. When I had vue 4 it never crashed, slowed down to the point of waiting for the mouse to respond, but that is expected with millions of polys scenes. 5I would crash every 2 minutes to 10.
So I'm asking the same question as swampthing, did they every bother to fix the 'memory leak'? My best guess on what was causing the problems.

Dale

Bullit
11-15-2010, 12:14 AM
The best is anyway to test the trial version and decide for yourself

V9 trial doesn't seem to be there.

swampthing
11-15-2010, 08:20 PM
I got tired of vue crashing all the time, I bought and paid for a program that just didn't work. When I had vue 4 it never crashed, slowed down to the point of waiting for the mouse to respond, but that is expected with millions of polys scenes. 5I would crash every 2 minutes to 10.
So I'm asking the same question as swampthing, did they every bother to fix the 'memory leak'? My best guess on what was causing the problems.

Dale

I had the same experience as you. Never crashed with 4. I think i bought 6, not sure, and it was a crashfest. Haven't tried any demo's since then as i was so fed up with it after using 6 that i didn't even consider it a viable tool even for just a hobbyist, i dunno how anyone used it in a production environment.

ChristianZ
11-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Yes, the famous version 6. I think it introduced the ecosystems, a very attractive feature but with a lot of problems at the beginning. I found 7.5 pretty stable and made some animations with it. I assume that would not have been possible with memory leaks. For example:
http://www.cardiomyocytes.com/movies/ocean-clouds.mov

bruno021
11-16-2010, 06:33 PM
I find Vue 9 very stable so far, I don't recall the last crash. E-on implemented a brilliant auto save function. Brilliant because it's completely transparent, no slowdown while it saves. If you do crash, this autosaved version can be reloaded next time Vue opens. There are new brushes in the Terrain editor, and sculpting can be constrained to height/slope/orientation, making sculpting easier. The relighting option is way cool, but it won't work for animations. The UI has changed a bit, a few new useful buttons here and there. Hyperblobs are new too, and you can create great rock formations with this tool, save those rocks and use them in ecosystems. They also greatly improved anti flickering, and animated ecosystems don't jump anymore.
Imho, this new version is thin on new features, but pushes existing ones a lot further, and stability is great so far.
rendering is faster too, mostly with displacements and spectral2 atmos.
I really think this is a great new Vue.

Navstar
11-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Bruno, are you using the Mac or Windows version? Historically, the Windows version has been more stable than the brittle Mac versions. I'd like to hear if the Mac Vue is now as stable as the Windows version?

bruno021
11-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Yeah, Windows here...Hopefully, Mac users will chime in.

eworc
11-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Vue 9 Complete, Studio, Esprit available for purchase on their store now. There is an annual subscription option now but would have to look at the details more to determine if that makes sense.

http://www.cornucopia3d.com/annualsubscription.php

duke
11-18-2010, 05:01 AM
The one problem I found was the new Rocky fractal causing an epic memory leak and killing my computer, which quite frankly is not surprising with fractals if you enter some awful settings. It hasn't happened since though.

Wabe
11-18-2010, 07:37 AM
Well, I am one of these Mac users.

Traditionally the Mac version was MUCH more stable, only between generation 5 and 8 it was different. Now generation 9 - 64bit finally - to me looks much more stable. And faster in rendering and workflow.
One of my big favourites on generation 9 is relighting. The ability to change the light situation AFTER you rendered an image. something I always asked for, now it became true. VERY cool!

ExtremeProjects
11-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Hey all,

I'm using Vue9 on Windows (7) and it's pretty good also. A couple of instabilities here and there but very easy ways around them. The new auto-save is very helpful too.

As for the Mac version all I can say is I have a mac laptop which I use to render on and it's now 3-4 times faster than it was before thanks to 64bit i'm sure! :D

RLM
11-18-2010, 10:10 PM
It's great to hear everyone's feedback on the latest release of Vue, so please keep it coming. From my own experience using Vue on both the latest mac pro's and pc's over the years. I also have to agree that it was far more stable on the pc than on the mac, for me at least. Vue 8.5 for example, just wouldn't work on my work mac pro and constantly crashed after only a few minutes.

I am hoping that E-on have finally improved the overall stability of Vue on both platforms though, so fingers crossed with this latest release which I am monitoring closely. On another note: It's great to see these Vue forums so busy for once too. Just shows there are a lot of Vue users hovering about from time to time, despite the fact that most rarely make an appearance.

Wabe - Great to see you here too, as I know you are a great help over at the cornucopia forums.

All the best,

Jay

Wabe
11-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Thanks RLM for your nice words. I always was here, there are just not many threads where I thought I can add something profound.

To your crashes with Vue. The fact that your whole system is crashing is a clear indication that you have an OpenGL problem in Vue.

In long discussions with e-on I learned that OpenGL problems can NOT be handled by the operating system as we are used to, crashes (memory overflows) there "kill" the whole system.

I have had exactly that on my first generation Mac Pro with the standard (first generation) 256MB NVidia graphic card. I exchanged that with a cheap ATI card - ATI Radeon HD 2600 (is not available anymore) - and all the problems there were gone.

RLM
11-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi Wabe,

Thanks for the extra info there, it's really useful and I had thought it must be openGL related. Originally though, I had problems with the ATI card that came with my mac pro and swapped it for a Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 (1GB) which works far better in every program except Vue. Technology hey, always fun!

All the best,

Jay

teofilrocks
01-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Having some real stability issues on my Macs as well. My Mac Pro has ATI Radeon HD4870 and the iMac has an NVIDIA GeForce GT130. On both machines Vue standalone will sporatically crash even with an empty scene. In plugin mode inside Maya 2011 it crashes some scenes when using Final Gather and always crashes when Vue's trying to autosave (even if I've disabled that in the standalone options). Very frustrating.

RLM
01-20-2011, 11:51 PM
Whilst I have not been able to do much testing on our mac pro's this week, the tests I completed last week were much more stable and reliable. However, we were still getting the occasional crash here and there. Unfortunately, today I opened Vue to test some scenes on our pc and the main camera preview wouldn't work and was completely black. This is the first major problem we have encountered on the pc version and we have not managed to find a solution so far.

Personally, I would like to see the entire 'preview' area of Vue redesigned to be larger and more flexible. I don't know how easy this would be and know it would also slow things down. However, the small preview always seems too small to accurately see if your scene is detailed enough to warrant a full render and the time it would take to complete. I know you can render low quality versions of the scene, but a better preview pane would be more useful, like in other 3D packages. Just ideas for future releases.

eworc
01-21-2011, 06:11 AM
The preview window can be increased in size.

RLM
01-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Yes, I realise that thanks. Unfortunately though, only by so much. Vue obviously handles far more polygons that other 3D packages can handle, meaning creating a similar preview system to what the other 3D packages have would be difficult. However, I'm sure it could be dramatically improved from what it is so far for sure.

eworc
01-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Well, the preview window can be resized from it's default thumbnail to a window up to and bigger than the size of a camera view...so I don't understand the point of wanting the preview window to be made bigger, when in fact it already can by just resizing it. There is no "only by so much" restriction as far as I can tell.

I think, other than advances in speeding up the preview render itself, the only useful option would be for them to make one of the camera view windows an option of being the automatic preview window. All the camera windows can basically do this now as far as the preview render, just not automatically like a preview window and it needs to not pull up the post render option plane. Perhaps a future change, Vue 10, wink, wink would be to have the option to make any of the camera views swap with the preview window. The current speed of the preview render being a consideration when you would want to use that option.

RLM
01-24-2011, 12:32 AM
Think I completely explained this wrong, so it's my own fault. Although the 'auto-update' preview area can be scaled as large as you require as you mentiend. I would basically like a detachable 'preview pane' so that when you scale it you have more control of it's placement in relation to the other panels within it's column. Just ideas for future releases.

Cheers.

RLM
01-24-2011, 12:44 AM
As a matter of interest. Has anyone else encountered any problems with their Main camera auto-preview? As of last week it just stopped working / updating and is completely black. I tried resetting and tweaking ALL display options and even un-installing and re-installing a fresh copy of Vue too. Nothing works or resolves this problem. In some cases I can have a terrain or piece of geometry in my scene and yet it won't even show in full renders either?

Just curious if anyone else has come across this at all as I just can't resolve it.

Thanks.

eworc
01-24-2011, 05:20 AM
I haven't had that problem. I do like your idea of a detachable 'preview pane' and actually all windows, main info boxes, since it would be nice for multi-monitor support.

phamarus
02-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Any new additions to metaclouds in vue 9?

As I recall you cant save your set of metacloud spheres and you cant load your own stuff?

Organizing huge sets of spheres within metaclouds is a pain in the...would be useful to be able
to structure fill your spheres by having any created geometry as a container to fill in the metacloud spheres, or perhaps a mathematic structure set as L-system script so one could load different L-system structures for the Metacloud spheres.

I would also se the option to simple put metaclouds on to Any created geometry, Im not sure..but
I believe e-on tested that but found the spheres to be better looking wich I find a little weird, Ivé tried modeled geometry from Lightwave and imported to houdini and made that volumetric and It seem to me that It would be a much better approach, perhaps Itīs the metacloud shader that is limiting it to be useful on geometry, not the technique of using volumetrics on geometry itself.

Michael

Wabe
02-11-2011, 06:47 AM
You of course can save metaclouds. Materials modfied as materials, the clouds simply as vob models.

I as well have seen work from colleagues that made perfect smoke (in my eyes) with just one sphere as object to carry the sophisticated material. So it IS possible too, even when I am not the wizard to do it myself.

phamarus
02-11-2011, 07:06 AM
You of course can save metaclouds. Materials modfied as materials, the clouds simply as vob models.

I as well have seen work from colleagues that made perfect smoke (in my eyes) with just one sphere as object to carry the sophisticated material. So it IS possible too, even when I am not the wizard to do it myself.

What!!..am I missing something? , so it Is possible to save metaclouds?,,,but your talking about saving as vob model right? and would that still keep the metacloud parameters? last I checked with vue 8.5 there wasnīt any option to save the Metaclouds and reload them, only the option to use the built in sets of different spheres?
But I might be wrong here?

smoke?? whereīs that mentioned, why would you use that instead of particles or fluids wich arenīt available in vue.

Michael

phamarus
02-11-2011, 07:12 AM
Indeed, you can save the metaclouds out, I just tested it and the metacloud materials and parameters
are there when loaded, thanks wabe.

the initial metacloud sets are made of cld files, so thatīs a bit confusing and the fact that you probably would want to save through that meny and load from the same.

Michael

Wabe
02-11-2011, 07:34 AM
LOL, just what I wanted to say - simply try it out (to save those).

Smoke was only meant as example to show you that complex volumetric settings ARE possible with the function editor - for those who know what they do.

phamarus
02-11-2011, 08:04 AM
LOL, just what I wanted to say - simply try it out (to save those).

Smoke was only meant as example to show you that complex volumetric settings ARE possible with the function editor - for those who know what they do.

Well Yeah that would be animated procedurals within spheres, but I would like to see good samples of that, the base principles are the same as doing that within lightwave on geometry and procedurals, It doesnīt reach that level of realism to that of what you can acheive with particles and fluids.

Would be more efficient and better looking thou once they introduce particles and shader materials for that, or/and a fluid system.

Michael
http://vimeo.com/user680656

CGTalk Moderation
02-11-2011, 08:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.