PDA

View Full Version : Is Morpher after Skin possible?

Masajub
11-05-2010, 06:29 AM
So I've just spent a considerable amount of time setting up my character rig with Skin and Skin Morph, planning to set up the face rig using the Morpher modifier afterwards. I'm now stuggling to get it to work and I have a sneaking suspicion I may need to scrap the skinning I've done and re-do it after I've set up the face.

So what I'm doing is going into editable mesh and Detaching the head from the body. Then I'll make a copy of it, adjust some verticies, throw a Morpher modifier on the Base Head, connect the two and it works fine. The problem is when i re-Attach the head to the body mesh, the Morpher modifier disappears, or if I re-Attach the body to the head, the Skin & Skin morph modifiers disappear.

Sorry I realise this is pretty noobish, it is my first rig. I'm trying to avoid re-Skinning if its possible and need someone to point out how, thanks. 3DS Max 10 btw.

MattRennie
11-05-2010, 05:14 PM
The way morphs work is based upon the number that each vert has. It tracks the difference between lets say vertex 1 on your base head and vertex 1 on your ooh shape. If vertex 1 on your base head is the lip corner, then vertex 1 on your ooh shape should also be the corner of the lip. However if you start detaching and reattaching meshes, this vertex ordering gets messed up so vertex 1 on one mesh is your lip corner, but on another mesh it could be the ear so it will screw up.

Locutus
11-08-2010, 05:59 AM
You are probably going to have to re-skin your character.
However, something worth trying that MIGHT work is saving your weights, dump the Skin modifier, make your mesh changes, re-add the Skin modifier, and load the wieghts you previously saved. That has saved my butt a few time in the past, but I'm not sure if it will work for your situation, but it's worth a shot.

Good luck.

Christov
11-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Y saving your weights,
and load the wieghts you previously saved.

MAX -> Utillities Panel -> Skin Utillities -> Extract Skin Data
...................................................... Import Skin Data

Very Usefull !

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2010, 01:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.