PDA

View Full Version : Getting realistic result

c12hris
11-05-2010, 03:03 AM
I have been following a tutorial on the Internet to create this forest scene. I have been working with it hard but it turns out badly. :( How to get a better result with this scene? These are the links for the scene file and the render respectively. Please help!
Download the Vue scene here (https://sites.google.com/site/c12hris/forest.zip?attredirects=0&d=1)
Download the rendered image here (https://sites.google.com/site/c12hris/forest.jpg?attredirects=0&d=1)

Linden-Stirk
11-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Hello and welcome to the forums,

I'd love to help. Would you mind providing the link to the tutorial that you were following? I'll get back with you later on how to improve this scene. :cool:

eworc
11-05-2010, 06:20 PM
c12hris:

Can't help much with the trees, since it's a copyright object but I would work on the bark texture more. Plus if you are not going to have a different camera view, i.e. not show the sky, I don't think you need a Spectral atmosphere and it would save render time just using a Standard model...So, I would concentrate on the tree bark and shadows to get a more realistic result.

Linden-Stirk
11-05-2010, 09:00 PM
I haven't really the time to create a realistic version of the scene that you're try to tackle, but here are some tips:

1. I agree with eworc about the trees. You should play with improving the textures of the bark. Don't really worry about this at first because there are more important problems to fix.

2. You should insert individual trees (not using the ecosystem, at least not in the foreground) and edit each one individually. No two trees are the same in real life, and since the trees are close to the camera, it is important to add subtle differences such as droop, trunk thickness, height, etc. The Scots pines should probably be a bit thinner as well. Furthermore, add some different tree species.

3. The grass needs to be scaled up, and mix lots of different grass types in the same ecosystem. Some rocks would be nice as well, but often the textures need to be adjusted. Don't have a separate ecosystem for every plant. Also, for every ecosystem, turn off "Decay near foreign objects".

4. Add variations to the ground. Vue's material editor is powerful and it's easy to mix and disperse materials based off the terrain.

5. As for the atmosphere, I think that adding fog/haze would create a better mood and improve the scene further. Use the "Volumetric model" in the atmosphere editor. This will definitely increase render time, but unless you add some fog to blur the background, you will need to add a lot more trees in the distance. Don't add clouds unless you want the shadows that they cast to affect the scene. Distant clouds won't be noticeable and will increase render time.

You should check out http://www.geekatplay.com/ for very informative video tutorials on using Vue.

Don't lose heart while doing this, either. The results we get from Vue can be pretty bad at first, but it just takes some playing around and understanding all of the tools Vue has.

I hope this helps you out. :)

Please do post more questions here on the thread if you find yourself stuck. :beer:

eworc
11-06-2010, 12:28 AM
c12hris

I think in your next response you should inform whether or not you want the scene to be made more realistic with what you have in it or wouldn't mind adding to it in order to make it more realistic per Stirk's input. If it's the latter, then there is a whole bunch of stuff that would need to be added to make it more realistic as Stirk points out.

c12hris
11-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions and I will seriously take them into consideration and try them out! :)

To eworc: I think the latter case suit me more.

c12hris
11-06-2010, 03:14 PM
I tried to create the scene again with totally different lighting. I added several unique plants in front of the camera and the rest at the back is ecosystem. I forgot to add patches of grass on the ground. Sorry about that.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs464.ash2/73749_1223270118219_1722960341_430760_1770497_n.jpg

Linden-Stirk
11-08-2010, 01:29 PM
The trees look better. It might be easier for you to create the ground first with all of the grass and rocks, then after you've finished, place in the trees. That way the trees won't overpower the scene before the rest is done. As for the lighting, you should reset the atmosphere settings to default until you're nearing completion. The position that the sun is at right now makes in really hard to see details because they're lost in the shadows. Also, with the sun that low, Vue makes the sun a giant yellow blob, which for most situations, is not correct. You'll have to play with the atmosphere settings to make that look more realistic. Geekatplay.com has a tutorial that covers how to fix this issue. :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
11-08-2010, 01:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.