PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Reel - What to Add?

JaredTaylor
11-04-2010, 06:44 AM
Hi guys,

I'm almost done with my modelling/texturing reel that is necessary to pass my course. After that I'm making a technical art reel that might hopefully, one day, get me a job. I was wondering what's worth showing off.

So far I have in my rigs:
- IK/FK Spine
- Stretchy arms/legs with on/off switch
- Stretchy/squashy spine
- IK/FK blending arms
- Osipa facial rig

And at the end of the reel I'll show my python auto-rig (now that I've written it properly).

What I can't do but wish I could and haven't found the resources to learn:
- Bendy arms/legs
- Curve based facial rig
- Blendshape based facial rig
- Joint based facial rig
- Elbow Locks
- Head Squash/Stretch
- IK/FK Matching

Any advice is appreciated, a lot!

giordi
11-04-2010, 11:26 AM
well , i watched several conference and tutorial about how to make a rig , more often ppl want to see the final effect of the rig , so add some animation with nice render , also it s cool o put something peculiar in your rig to show , all he stuff you have is pretty basic like the squash and stretch and so on , about the stuff you wanna learn you shold watch friendly rig and digital tutors facial rigging . hwy are pretty easy stuff to find .
Python is pretty cool instead and an autorig too but dont show it too much it , i mean it s quite easy find atuorig in the TD charater reel , so i will suggest you to find something pecurial or original to do with python , for example for my reel i developped an autorig but it was only for a mechanical leg so peopla can see i can make an autorig but it doesn take too much space in the reel and neither to me to script it :)

shalabology
11-04-2010, 11:45 AM
giordi , in some way i dont agree with u in the point of autorig showing off ,i mean that it doesnt necessary to be a regular to show auto rig in reel u can be creative in that thing that u can do flexible and versatile one that can stand out of the crowd , u can do modular multi auto rigger or u can make auto rigger for un ordinary things ...etc
thats beside u can show up ur technical abilities in another tools devoloped for solving issue either in rigging or anything else

giordi
11-04-2010, 10:26 PM
oh ya that s for sure , i was talking in general i dont know how your autorig works . but many people are doing your same thought , try to find something cool or original for an autorig , so it will be quite hard to you find something new

IkerCLoN
11-05-2010, 01:36 AM
Originality does not have to be only on what you show, but also on how you show it. You know, one can get a bit tired after seeing the same things on a reel when you put one behind the other like you are doing a shopping list :shrug:

You reel can get a lot of appeal in the editing part. I really enjoyed Erid D. Legare (http://vimeo.com/3642513) and David Corral (http://vimeo.com/9124065) reels. Apart from their incredible technical skills, the overall style of each reel is superb. And make all the possible to get a cool character too! In the end, it's all about making companies remember you when they have a free position, so you have to make sure by all means you are the right to chose.

You can find some information on these forums related to some of the points you mention (for example, IK/FK matching). I mean, there's not a lot of info related on how to write an autorigging tool, so for sure you're not going to find any difficult in achieving that list of things. So go for it! :beer:

JaredTaylor
11-05-2010, 07:38 AM
Thanks IkerCLoN, that helped me so much, after watching those two (brilliant) reels I got a few ideas of my own (and I'll surely borrow a few of theirs).

I've rigged something more... unique. Just to show I could do more than just bipeds. But I'll also have a biped in there.

I really want to do a toon car as well but hate modelling them ;)

I've had some great ideas about the composition of my reel as well.

My only downfall is my actual technical ability, I'm a student, and we don't even learn much rigging at school so I'm self taught mostly in that area. I have no real experience outside of rigging my own characters, so my reel still wont stand out I'm sad to say. First job always the hardest, right?

giordi
11-05-2010, 07:48 AM
hey man dony yalk like that ! we all are student and i m sure u and we will do great, i dont go to any school , since still stuck at high school so i learn everything by myself (ofcourse with tutorial and etc) also i suggest you to contact people in private and ask for mail or something and talk so you can share each other , like if u want we can talk just write a mail an we will find a platform to chat :beer:

pearblossom
11-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Those reels are great! As is Iker's--is there any sort of sketch-deform tool like that for Maya that's available?

JaredTaylor
11-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Well guys, I made mine. I only had 6 hours to spare =( But it's for my portfolio for next year's course, not getting a job, so all good.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=6754576#post6754576

CGTalk Moderation
11-05-2010, 01:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.