PDA

View Full Version : Modeling from perspective drawings

emack
10-08-2003, 05:18 AM
Modeling from front/side templates seems to work really well for character models. For environment or machine models, the original sketch is often a perspective sketch. Is there a tutorial out there that discusses generating a 3D model to match this type of source?

It seems a bit like camera matching; perhaps all that one does is make a box the same size as the desired object and move the camera around until the perspective lines match the sketch? I'm not quite sure how focal length should be recreated, however. Any suggestions are helpful.

Thanks,

Eliot

emack
10-12-2003, 09:05 PM
Wow . . . no response? Does everyone convert perspective sketches to front/side/top drawings before modeling?

I've been going through Feng's new Gnomon DVDs on environment & vehicle modeling; the resulting perspective sketches are so neat that I'd rather just work from them . . . seems like a good way to do it.

What's the standard workflow on this?

Eliot

Cyborgguineapig
10-13-2003, 02:19 AM
Your trying to ask how to change a concept artist's sketch of a character drawn in perspective to something like side or front view?:surprised

Don't want to sound ignorant or anything but...That just is not possible to do, nor can I see any type of future technology fixing that.

I think most of the time the perspective drawings you see are just for show and the concept artist will make rougher side and front view drawings to use for actual references. If no side or front views are available to the modelor than its really all about improvisation. You just kinda gotta guess work your modeling around a perspective concept.

I guess, I'm no pro in this area.

gmask
10-13-2003, 02:23 AM
Start out by placing primitives until you have more or less matched the placment of buildings and perspective and then work the details in from there.

unzero4d
10-13-2003, 03:47 AM
Is that what you want? I do it in rhinohttp://www.chinavfx.com/bbs/attachments/200310/07162407-19205601-2328.jpg
http://www.chinavfx.com/bbs/attachments/200310/07162450-outline.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.