PDA

View Full Version : Modelling Hands

samartin
01-17-2002, 08:41 AM
Hi LW'ers,

:rolleyes: A little puzzled here, cannot seem 2 get 2 grips with the hands (no pun intended). Can any1 advise me on how to go about modelling the hands or refer me 2 a site on which way to go ??? I have included the image below so u may see how the model has been built to get an idea of the route I should go...

thanks in advance

http://www.samartin.co.uk/jpg's/homer2.jpg

PS. u should be able to click the above address (works 4 me). If not try copying and pasting the address ?!?!?!

Tad
01-17-2002, 11:14 AM
Hi, couldnt download the pic,
so sorry if anything I say doesnt apply.

I dont know what software you're using, but if it's Maya,
then I would suggest using nurbs patches, you will need to
find a pic of someone elses hand to see how best to set up the patch network.
Using nurbs trims/blends, although it can be done, is really NOT the best solution.

Or use polygons(which will work for any software),
which are very straight forward, just start with a box,
extrude the fingers, and add polygons wherever you need more detail, then subdivide(or polysmooth, or meshsmooth, or whatever it's called in you're particular software) for the final result.

Hope this helps!

epatnor
01-17-2002, 01:28 PM
Just a tiny little remark.. Isn't Homer's head a little too narrow? Otherwise, nice Simpson! :)

And Tad; it's Lightwave...;)

samartin
01-17-2002, 03:49 PM
I am now gonna put on my simpsons DVD and check it out, the model was created from a little 1997 model I borrowed off of someone and I think the head was quite narrow.

I dunno if you've seen the 3d version Groening and his team did but that didn't really look like the true homer we have come to know.

I don't suppose u know how 2 go about sorting them blasted hands out do u ??? I reckon I'll update this weekend coming.

Daxx
01-17-2002, 09:33 PM
The Person that have modeled Homer in the episode Homer 3D is my Italian Friend.........last time he worked with Shrek ^_^

www.lucaprasso.com

:)

samartin
01-18-2002, 04:52 AM
:D just checked out 1 or 2 homer3 videos cos' my connection ain't that fast it kinda spoiled it but that model is superb what he produced. Better than I remembered it, glad u put that site up to view (just wish there was some Shrek2 stuff up there).

xynaria
01-18-2002, 09:25 PM
If you haven't already come across this, then check out the tutorials at www.flay.com. They cover the whole body and though possibly sophisticated in comparison to what you are doing .. the principles are the same more or less. :)

samartin
01-19-2002, 06:47 PM
cheers 4 the tip, I have now done the hands at last and it only took about 1/2 hr to sort. Just takes a bit of patience with using the ol' knife tool and welding (well at least I'm happier now).

:D

Lupin
02-13-2002, 12:17 PM
Pretty groovey Homer. I'm also a Homer fan and made one a while back. You can see it here. (http://members.shaw.ca/jonmcbain/WIP_HomerSimpson.html)

Post your finished Image. :) Man, I really liked the Homer3D episode, its what got me to model my Homer.

samartin
02-13-2002, 11:33 PM
Hi Lupin,

I feel honoured that u replied 2 my mail, I tried looking at your site but my modem is playing up big time so I could only c a few of your piccies, but they r fantastic.... I can't wait 2 get into work next Monday so I can view them in all their glory and your demo-reel....

I didn't wanna put the finished homer model, not rigged as I am learning that process, only work stops me doing that. Anyway enough winging here is the later version....

Loads 2 do, the figure is pretty much correct 2 wot I modelled it from, a '97 fox model, but I prefer the short fatty version like yours... mmmm maybe I should change his proportions...

http://www.samartin.co.uk/jpg's/homer3.jpg

BTW. Have u given up on Lightwave now ????

samartin
02-13-2002, 11:37 PM
Hi Lupin,

I feel honoured that u replied 2 my mail, I tried looking at your site but my modem is playing up big time so I could only c a few of your piccies, but they r fantastic....

I didn't wanna put up the finished homer model, not rigged as I am learning that process, only work stops me doing that. Anyway enough winging here is the later version....

http://www.samartin.co.uk/jpg's/homer3.jpg

I gotta say I reckon your version does the original homer justice, mine was taken from a '97 kids model but I may change is proportions when I get time 2 play around...

BTW - Have u given up on Lightwave now ???

Lupin
02-14-2002, 10:41 AM
Thanks. Glad you like my stuff. :)

Looks like you took care of the hands problem. They look fine.

Yeah, I dont use Lightwave much anymore, the company I worked for switched to Maya and I havent used it since.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.