PDA

View Full Version : Lizard & Bug, Carles (3D)

Carles
10-08-2003, 03:17 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2041/Lizard_bug_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2041/Lizard_bug.jpg)

http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2041/Lizard_bug.jpg

<edited by Tito: Image replaced with one hosted on CGNetworks gallery to prevent dead links.>

C&C welcome please.

Greetings,

Carles Piles

joana
10-08-2003, 02:41 PM
No comments on these?

It is very good, love the detail.

I would lit more the lizard, though, to give more contrast from the background.

xcvbnm
10-08-2003, 04:11 PM
Excellent:thumbsup:
Minor thing - The lightblue patch looks out of place.

Clanger
10-08-2003, 04:30 PM
That's quite possibly the best lizard texture I've ever seen.

Any chance of seeing the maps?

Carles
10-11-2003, 02:57 AM
Thanks guys, it's cool to know your point of view.

Yeah I agree about the lighting on lizard, it was my initial idea too, but this kills alot the specularity in the lighten areas in the head (because not enough contrast), so I've used less intensity in order to maintain specularity.

About blue patch, yes! I see it looks eye catching too much, but it's not my aportation, this is one of the areas where texture was taken from a photo instad painting ;)
(many times nature it's so surpressive ...)

Originally posted by Clanger

Any chance of seeing the maps? [/B]

Here is some stuff regarding on your question. It's not the 3000 pixels maps obviously, but you can get an aproximation about how it was done (painting work was done in BodyPaint, photo stuff it's cloned and/or stamped in Photoshop).

Bump and specular maps are just B&W versions from this one with a few variations.

http://www.3dluvr.com/carles/images/lizard_tex.jpg

Greetings,
Carles

lildragon
10-11-2003, 01:30 PM
Honestly, the first thing that came to mind when I click the link was "Holy sh*t" haven't said that in awhile ;) It's great to see C4D users pushing this app well. The only thing I would comment on is the texture on the shoulder, since it's such a prominent area of motion, I would tweak the uvs there some more so it's not pinching like it is now. The other areas are great very realistic.

You might also want to put the grass in focus a bit more than it is now, it's DOF I know but it's kinda shimmering like if you're seeing double images, and I know I'm not drunk, it's too early heh :)

Nice work [Plugged] and I'll fix up those links for ya.

-lild

rebo
10-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Great lizard, what size were the final tex maps? Also what size did you paint with in bodypaint?

Sqwall
10-11-2003, 02:08 PM
Very Nice. Realy close to the photo. :beer:

Clanger
10-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Thanks for sharing the maps, very informative.

hardimage
10-11-2003, 02:24 PM
where did you get the textures from...
can you tell a bit about it.

hardimage
10-11-2003, 02:24 PM

Self-Designer
10-11-2003, 02:28 PM
awesome, but... yes, there's a "but" - it looks like a wizard with a snake's head. It has a different skin, and the connecting area doesn't look natural - I don't think it's a question of a cut or a gradient, but every hexagon (i mean, the skin is built of small hexagons...) should be complete, maybe... not sure if it will work better... I have 2 more ideas:

1. putting the head's skin in more places (even though, if it was my work, i would have been afraid of ruining the body's texture becasue it's so perfect).

2. Giving the head the same skin of the body (hope it won't do it uniform boring...)

Anyway: :applause: :wip:

ThirdEye
10-11-2003, 02:31 PM
Fantastic work as I already told ya Carles... Post some reference pics if you can, i'm curious to see how close you're to the photos! :thumbsup:

Xilica
10-11-2003, 02:43 PM
man, this is SWEET!

stephen2002
10-11-2003, 02:51 PM
Very nice work you have there. The DOF effect is very well placed in this instance, I didn't notice it at first.

The texturing is quite nice. I have to agree that the blue patch dosn't look correct, it sticks out like a sore thumb on an animal that is otherwise nicely camouflaged.

paintbox
10-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Great work, I especially like the lighting set-up, very effective. Ofcourse the texturing & camera set-up is great as well...the plug is well deserved !

DoLeeP
10-11-2003, 03:27 PM
Excellent Very nice Mapping
here is my 5 star for ya:beer:

C.Lin.
10-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Good work, but what's the light bule part?
Still love it for the great details.:beer:

michaeli
10-11-2003, 04:16 PM
Excellent !

rbs
10-11-2003, 04:17 PM
great job ! :thumbsup:

┐Mossega? :applause:

artemesia66
10-11-2003, 04:38 PM
i agree that the blue patch is distracting. for some reason it doesn't seem to integrate with the rest of the texture.

that being said, AWESOME work. the texture on the head is fantastic.

safakoner
10-11-2003, 04:45 PM
good job. I like textures :thumbsup:

Vexed
10-11-2003, 04:47 PM
Excellent work, just some info on the lizard, the blue patch of skin is a bit closer to the arm pit and is hidden when the lizard has it's arms at it's side.

frameless
10-11-2003, 05:27 PM
great photo ;)
no...really, amazing work, especially on the textures:thumbsup:

kiko3d
10-11-2003, 06:14 PM
Macho eres un autentico genio, esa textura es brutal, donde has aprendido a usar photoshop?
Si sabes de algunos tutoriales o libros dimelo que estoy aprendiendolo yo.

Muy bien el modelo, chapˇ.

Wilson-3d
10-11-2003, 06:45 PM
Nice work Carles. I was just on your site the other night looking over your laboratory again as I am working on one and needed some inspiration.

limkinkwan
10-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Welldone, i just wondering to the texturing, it seems like very hard to acheive to the result..but with body paint, is it become esier?
:thumbsup:

character
10-11-2003, 06:59 PM
this is awesome, my friend is gonna love this. he's into lizards and anything with scales, heh

Trestkon
10-11-2003, 07:02 PM
That lizard is truley amazing! :drool:

I realize that the ground is not the main focus of the piece, but how did the lizard get where he is? I think it might add some realism (even if only subconciously) if you added some claw marks and a trail in the dirt behind him.

sqitso
10-11-2003, 07:28 PM
Wow Carles. Do you think we could see the texture unwrapped? I'm not strong in texturing and would like to see how you pieced it together for a quadroped.

Kel Solaar
10-11-2003, 07:35 PM
Very impressive texturing work! maybe more contrast between the lizard and the bg will enhance the image. Nice work!

marcopio
10-11-2003, 08:17 PM
Great work, very realistic. What was the rendering time?

Toxic Frog
10-11-2003, 08:44 PM
What a great lizard! Excellent job!
Lizard skin textures are pretty difficult to pull off, and you did a great job.
I used to have several reptile pets, one of which was a tegu (relative of the monitor), and you captured the physique very well.

This looks to me like a malaysian water monitor - is that right?

graffb
10-11-2003, 09:35 PM
Very good texture job!
Good job!

hackie
10-11-2003, 10:03 PM
kwel!!!!
if you dont mind i'd love to see your colour map!!!
good job!!!

:buttrock:

DustinBrown
10-11-2003, 10:05 PM
wow thats pretty nice. I can almost imagine them haveing a little converstation...possibly the bug negotiating for his life, hehe

-Dustin

kiaran
10-11-2003, 10:35 PM
Excellent image. The color and lighting are top notch.

One thing that kind of bothered me though, the strands of grass in the bottom left part of the image are very small and stringy. Since the lizard could be anywhere from 6inches to 2 feet long I'm using the bug as a frame of reference. That would make the grass VERY small, like little needles.

The vegetation in the background looks great.

Nice work,
Kiaran

Rmortis
10-11-2003, 11:34 PM
Great, some texture uv how works??

sorry mine english

William b. Hand
10-12-2003, 12:35 AM
Wow!
Reminds me of a lizard I had when I was a kid...
That was a blue-yarrow fence swift. Not quite the same creature, but close enough.
Can you give us a tutorial on this, and maybe post some texture maps?

delly
10-12-2003, 01:43 AM
Woaah.. the texture is amazing :buttrock: :thumbsup:
it looks real

sequenzer
10-12-2003, 02:10 AM
nicelly done. good lightning, texturing and modelling.
would you care to animate?

NanoGator
10-12-2003, 02:49 AM
Admirable! :thumbsup:

Flypaper
10-12-2003, 07:00 AM
Wonderful composition! :wavey:

urk10
10-12-2003, 09:58 AM
Great job! Pretty realistic.

Maybe you should try to put your pict. in photoshop and add a little bit of yellow and a tiny bit of red just to give some warmth to you composition.As it is, it's a little bit "dead",kind of blue.

Focus on the grass at the back and try to make it more bright green.

Experiment..

Ls3D
10-12-2003, 10:51 AM
Very nice,..

I would like to see el lizard turn his head like he is eyeing the bug,.. looks a bit stiff in this modeling pose, but again very nice, congrates.

-Shea
www.Ls3D.com

:cool:

spm
10-12-2003, 12:35 PM
show me some uv:s! :)

Razorwolf
10-12-2003, 02:27 PM
Greaaaat, this plug is really deserved!

Robbert
10-12-2003, 03:36 PM
Great Lizard! (i have lizards myself, and it truly looks great)
:buttrock:

The only thing i can crit is that his head looks a bit flat, try to make some more bumb on his head so that the hexagons have more depth.

This image from Alexander Beim is great too:
http://www.e-m-f.com/3dhype/scorpes/temp/susy.jpg

greengold
10-12-2003, 06:15 PM
OMG! That is the coolest lizard I have seen in a long time. It is really amazing with the lighting and texture. I have to agree with
some that the grass in the background should not be that "unfocused", but all together it is an amazing model.

cermit
10-13-2003, 12:14 PM
fantastic work...

Carles
10-13-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by lildragon
Honestly, the first thing that came to mind when I click the link was "Holy sh*t" haven't said that in awhile ;) It's great to see C4D users pushing this app well. The only thing I would comment on is the texture on the shoulder, since it's such a prominent area of motion, I would tweak the uvs there some more so it's not pinching like it is now. The other areas are great very realistic.

You might also want to put the grass in focus a bit more than it is now, it's DOF I know but it's kinda shimmering like if you're seeing double images, and I know I'm not drunk, it's too early heh :)

Nice work [Plugged] and I'll fix up those links for ya.

-lild

First at all, thanks Tito (and all CG Networks administration) for hosting the images and fixing the links. I'm sure the syntax it's right, in fact I've replaced it two times because I thought the fault was on using the "&" character, but seem the problem is not there but in the original server :(

Regarding the scene thanks alot for your comments, this is my first organic model using the right technique (polygon modelling instead splines+loft), also my first complex UV mapping and also the first time I use Depth of field.
Your comment about shoulder area in it's quite fine to me, because really I had problems on it. I had too little amount of pixels in this area for drawing details in the right way.
Based on your comment I understand that it also would be better for animation (I'm not animator, but enviroment artist). Model is not no boned yet, for pose I just re-modeled it once the UV applied, and yes, I had the problem you've mentioned here for when animated. I see now that it could be fixed just using more subdivisions in this area and faking the UV size so I could get more pixels available without increasing the whole map size.

Anyway I'm proud for being my first character. I'm sure that a bit more experience, good advicements like I've seen in this thread, and of course time availabe, all together will help me for doing my next character modelling better.

Thanks a million,
Carles

P.S. Btw, Have you seen my DemoReel here? (enviroments)
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=78120&goto=newpost
Would be great for me getting some more crits.

ThirdEye
10-13-2003, 08:12 PM
Post your demo reel in a new thread Carles, it'll give you a lot of visibility, you know it's really well done, it deserves a plug on the front page for sure ;)

Carles
10-13-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by rebo
Great lizard, what size were the final tex maps? Also what size did you paint with in bodypaint?

3651x4000 pixels
But it' was not enough, maybe because I wasted too much the canvas size for maintain the whole lizard unwrapped with no scaling any areas.
I had problems in some areas because not enough size for painting details. (it's my first complex UV mapping).

I think maybe the right way should be working any areas such as head and hands up scaled to biggere so the wasted blank spaces could be used for details.

Just learning. Next character I'll do will be best optimized for sure ;)

Greetings,
Carles

Carles
10-13-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by hardimage

Sure. Textures comes really from different sources, the blue patch was taken from an ocelate lizard, small patchs along the full body are really from an Iguana (unsaturated and clone-stamped in photoshop+painting on) and bottom area (almost not visible here) was taken from a salamander... so figure it out! :D :D :D

All sources were given to me by a friend of mine who loves reptils, they are scans from books but I don't know which books are. Sorry.

Anyway, note that really original textures are not ready to use, I used it as "motives", so the most work for photo-stuff used, was to integrate these different sources and achieving that it looks as if all they comes from a single source.
It implies changes on size, gamma and colour corrections.
Once the material it's set properly it was stamped along the lizard surface in order to get a "draft" that cover all areas but still without refinement.

Later, painting work it's essential to fix the UV joints and also the joints between different phot-areas (back to bottom, head to body, etc).

Because I had not enough shots from lizard heads, was better and faster to me just painting the whole head directly on the model.

In this link you can find some info about the 3 "motives" used and also the unwrapped texture.

Greetings,
Carles

Carles
10-13-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Artist 3D
awesome, but... yes, there's a "but" - it looks like a wizard with a snake's head. It has a different skin, and the connecting area doesn't look natural - I don't think it's a question of a cut or a gradient, but every hexagon (i mean, the skin is built of small hexagons...) should be complete, maybe... not sure if it will work better... I have 2 more ideas:

1. putting the head's skin in more places (even though, if it was my work, i would have been afraid of ruining the body's texture becasue it's so perfect).

2. Giving the head the same skin of the body (hope it won't do it uniform boring...)

Anyway: :applause: :wip:

Thanks for your tips. I'll take them in consideration.
Regards,
Carles

Carles
10-13-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by ThirdEye_01
Fantastic work as I already told ya Carles... Post some reference pics if you can, i'm curious to see how close you're to the photos! :thumbsup:

Hi Alberto,
Really there is not a reference photo, but alot of references.
Was not possible to found full documentation from a single specie, so I used alot of references seen from different angles, but also from different species :(
So my work was getting the best of each one, and trying to put together a whole one (I'm feel a bit like Dr. Frankenstein) :)

Anyway I'll try to put together the most interesting references in just a single image, and I'll post it here (hope get some time soon).

Thanks also for your advice about posting my Demo Reel.
Talk to you later,
Carles

Carles
10-13-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Vexed
Excellent work, just some info on the lizard, the blue patch of skin is a bit closer to the arm pit and is hidden when the lizard has it's arms at it's side.

Thanks!
I thought comments about blue patch were posted because colour, but I understand now that you mean a position issue instead a colour issue.
Next time I'll get better documentation ;)
Thanks for your info.

Carles
10-13-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by marcopio
Great work, very realistic. What was the rendering time?

It was 10m:46s on a PIV/2400, but mostly because enviroment (high subdivision was required in stones and floor for a right work in displacement maps).

Lizard alone takes 0m:29s only. (26 lights in scene)

Carles
10-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Toxic Frog
What a great lizard! Excellent job!
Lizard skin textures are pretty difficult to pull off, and you did a great job.
I used to have several reptile pets, one of which was a tegu (relative of the monitor), and you captured the physique very well.

This looks to me like a malaysian water monitor - is that right?

Would be possible that mostly work it's done based on the Lizard you meant, but I don't know really because I had not this info (just images).
Anyway, your doubt it's more than justyfied, because I seen many different references (different species) and I taken the best of each angle in order to put togheter a minimally credible lizard.

Maybe should we call him "Frankenstein Lizard"? :D :D :D

Cya.

Carles
10-13-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by kiaran
Excellent image. The color and lighting are top notch.

One thing that kind of bothered me though, the strands of grass in the bottom left part of the image are very small and stringy. Since the lizard could be anywhere from 6inches to 2 feet long I'm using the bug as a frame of reference. That would make the grass VERY small, like little needles.

The vegetation in the background looks great.

Nice work,
Kiaran

I agree because you're completely right.
It's a fault in the textures :( (really just a fault when entering a value)

All weeds (also rear weeds) are too thiny really so I gave them more thickness using a 100% white map for displacement, but just before the final render I changed the displacement value for the close weeds and seem it was completely removed by error, so these weeds have lost all thickness casting only the base geometry, fault which also gives a wrong size reference for all stones close to where weeds are :(

I seen this fault once the image was posted so I had not any chance to fix it. :(

Carles
10-13-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by sequenzer
nicelly done. good lightning, texturing and modelling.
would you care to animate?

maybe, who know. But for sure I would need first to learn how to using bones and CA animation ;)

Greetings,
Carles

Stejahen
10-14-2003, 03:11 AM
Wow! Thats Awesome! I've always been a fan of your work.

I've been using bryce to render and freeware to model, but just recently Cinema 4D 6 came out in 3D world mag, It's the whole thing but the render rez is restriced to 600x400. I am thinking of getting it, do you know if there is anyway I could get around that restriction? (like breaking up an image into multiple renders)

Also, are any of the images on your website made in version 6?

Thanks!

facial
10-14-2003, 06:16 AM
:surprised :thumbsup:
Well done, it will be perfect if you focus on lizard only : )

lildragon
10-18-2003, 10:21 AM
Already said my bit, but once again great work.

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Great work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_oct03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.