PDA

View Full Version : UVing - Best Practices...

adam|zeliasz
11-02-2010, 06:55 PM
I wanted to get your thoughts on the best way to UV a character, especially the hands. Is it best to have all the UVs at a 1 to 1 ratio, or is it fine with scaling up certain part of the UVs, say the characters hands for example so you can get more detail? This character is going to be for a first person shooter.

Any thoughts or relevant links that you can suggest? Thanks!

ovinet
11-02-2010, 07:49 PM
What I say is not really that relevant because I'm not one of the best guys, still have to learn to become a pro, but from what I know, it depends on what software you use for texturing. If you texture in 3d texturing, then all it maters is to have enough space, if you texture in 2d is much practical to have all UV shells of the same size.

adam|zeliasz
11-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Well it really shouldn't matter whether you're using Photoshop or Mudbox for texturing, you still have the same pixel space to work with. The problem I see is that if you have more pixels to detail; say the hands for example, then you have to blend that with the reduced detail of the forearms. Is that's something the industry is accustom to, or should all your UV's have the same "size?"

PermaGrin
11-02-2010, 09:42 PM
For first person, most will have an "ARMS" model that is unique of the character model. So the "ARMS" will have their own texture while the character that you look at has all of it's own.

This would allow the texture for the arms and the model used in fist person to be made/used with better detail in only the pats you see without wasting detail on the rest of the character.

Another example to relate to, would be the weapon. The weapons used in the first person view would be much more detailed in both texture and geometry when compared to the same weapons seen in 3rd person views (other players weapons, back weapons, pick ups, etc.)

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/rsrc/Three/CreatingAnimations/1P_Weapon.jpg

This thread will show more of what I am talking about.
http://www.game-artist.net/forums/finished-projects/12477-first-person-hands-rig.html

As for your main question of 1 to 1. Most I have seen will have certain parts slightly larger or smaller depending on the games needs. For instance, the character might have the UVs for the head large while the UVs for the feet might be slightly smaller.

CGTalk Moderation
11-02-2010, 09:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.