PDA

View Full Version : creativty

eyetood
11-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Greetings. I am here in the unenviable position of a newbie and this is my very first forum post.
I have a question I would like to pose. I have just launched an online journal I am writing. And the next entry will be addressing the abstract question, "what is creativity?" So to help in giving the journals next entry substance, I am asking creative individuals of any field to throw in their 2cents. I have no pre-conceived answer or any expectation of what I'm looking for, except the possible inclusion of what you say into the entry [with your choice of anonymity or crediting you]. In the fashion of brainstorming, 'what in your opinion is creativity?' Feel free to give written responses- including anything from a well thought out answer to something short, and or humorous. If it is ok with the Forum Leader (?), I would like to ask that you may also express your answers with artistic visual expression, as well as any form of written expression, such as poetry for example.
Thank you for your consideration of this question and many thanks to those of you who choose to post something!

Fignman
11-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Greetings. I am here in the unenviable position of a newbie and this is my very first forum post.
I have a question.... "what is creativity?"

See http://www.managing-creativity.com/

It's a very useful site for this sort of thing.

eyetood
11-04-2010, 01:05 AM
hi Fignman
thank you very much for your input! I followed the link and read the page. the point of view there seems to be heavy on the business application of creativity. responses to all types of creativity are welcome on this thread.

Lunatique
11-04-2010, 04:42 AM
For myself personally, creativity is really about expanding beyond the most obvious and going for something that's more unique or unexpected. Since a lot of so-called "creative" work--be it music, art, writing, photography, design...etc can be just "paint by numbers" and following the most tried and true templates, essentially regurgitating what others have already done over and over for decades, if not centuries, it becomes easy to just piece together your influences in the most obvious way and then call it your own. It's usually easy to spot works like that if you know the source of the influences.

So essentially there are two levels of creativity--the first level is when the average person who was never exposed to doing anything that requires a lot of creativity starts to try his hand at it for the first time. We're not just talking about what's typically considered creative, since there are other forms of creativity in daily life that has nothing to do with the arts or entertainment or design, yet still require a lot creative thinking, such as programming, engineering, marketing...etc. At the first level, it's all about learning how to create competent works that's at least acceptable and not totally embarrassing. At this level the person if often struggling to just get the technical aspects right--the craft. Even if the person is innovative and imaginative, often the craftsmanship doesn't do the ideas justice and thus the work is not up to par overall.

The next level of creativity is when someone has learned to master the craft to a certain level, and now concentrates on imparting a unique creative vision, and this is when the work becomes the most interesting. Often at this level, the creativity extends beyond just unique ideas, but also into innovative ways to execute the work. That is possible because the person has already attained an authoritative mastery of the craft, and now can start to break the rules or revolutionize the way things are done with new techniques and approaches, setting new standards and push the medium they work in.

Quadart
11-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Creativity is the ability to generate novel solutions to problems that, ideally, also have value or appropriateness as a solution, outside of just merely being different or fanciful and possibly inappropriate or irrational. Ironically, I find artists in general some of the most uncreative people, relying on just being different and equating that to originality. A lot of people confuse creativity with mutation or simply a distortion of something imitated. Creativity without innovation usually lacks substance, to me anyway. An artist’s unique personal expression does not necessarily imply that it is a creative act either.
As mentioned, artists tend to retread ideas repeatedly. The literary critic Harold Bloom, in his book ‘The Anxiety of Influence: A Theory of Poetry’ has a unique twist on what it takes to be truly original when he said “…authors of real power must inevitably "misread" their precursors' works in order to make room for fresh imaginings.”
So, without a unique, as well as appropriate, resolution to a problem or situation a creative work may not be so creative after all, just another ‘same thing only different’.

What Is Creativity
http://www.apa.org/monitor/nov03/creativity.aspx

A Dash of Madness: The Link Between Creativity and Psychosis
http://www.musingsonmind.org/featured/madness

eyetood
11-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Thank you Lunatique and Quadart for your input! now, along with a business viewpoint of creativity, Lunatique has offered his thoughts on creativity from an artists view point, and Quadart has offered some very interesting links on the psycology of creativity. I have followed all the links that have been provided with explanations, and have given much thought to the explanations themselves. I find every 'answer' as both valid and informing.

at this point, what would be really nice is if folks might offer a visual touch to this question-
putting a character or face to creativity (if allowed). does anyone care to share their visual expression on the concept of creativity?
thank you for your consideration.

Zocky
11-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Creativity i would say is ability to think 'out of the box' so to speak; to be able to go away from your usual routines and come up with new, fresh, different ideas.

Lunatique
11-09-2010, 06:31 AM
at this point, what would be really nice is if folks might offer a visual touch to this question-
putting a character or face to creativity (if allowed). does anyone care to share their visual expression on the concept of creativity?
thank you for your consideration.

You don't have to look far--just take a quick tour through art history, photography, graphic design, architecture...etc and you'll see tons of examples of how there were pioneers and creative genius in every era.

eyetood
11-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Thank you Zocky for your input!
Thank you Lanatique...I was hoping for something fresh & modern, but may take you up on your idea IF time allows.

I am currently writing the draft entry on 'what is creativity'. Should anyone find this thread, feel free to continue posting your thoughts & ideas on creativity as I'll maintain a notification for any new posts. also, feel free to contact me if you have an idea or leave a comment on the journal itself, as this journey is intended to be a collaboration. Thank you!

x70
11-13-2010, 06:39 AM
Honestly I created the flock of seagulls hairdo in my bathroom when I was 13 before I ever knew what the band was or how lame they were... I thought I was so original and creative I showed my mom and she laughed, showed me a picture and enlightened me about the band... I think in that moment of discovery I felt the most creative I have ever been. And when my mom shattered my world was the lowest. Now I just look back and laugh. :arteest:

I'd be interested to hear what you come up with.

eyetood
11-13-2010, 08:01 PM
LOL !! I certainly appreciate what you've written x70. I've found myself in those same shoes a few too many times. its encouraging to hear it from someone else! I've gotten a couple days behind on the draft as I was asked to brainstorm a title, and chose to do a logo with a terribly short deadline....which ended up as another good lesson! ;]

RoundRobbin
11-14-2010, 04:19 AM
who best to tell of such than the master himself...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT6qBtYJ-90

eyetood
11-25-2010, 09:48 PM
answering the ? what is creativity has turned into a project! I'll be giving an 'answer' in Parts, so I appreciate your patience as I work to make this as worthy an effort as I can without turning it into a research project. =] If you've not checked into my jounal lately, there have been some new posts you may find of interest, in the meantime. thank you

schakaib
12-02-2010, 09:27 AM
I have lately become somewhat wary of the word "creativity". It seems to have become an elusive gift that everyone aspires to and the certain "creative types" are usually envied by the more mortal humans. Well, in my very humble opinion, creativity is nothing but self-expression. The way I see it, any painter, animator, musician, actor (etc.) good at his work and envied for being so "creative" is not doing anything but expressing himself in the best manner possible for him.

My two cents.

eyetood
12-03-2010, 09:51 PM
I would definately agree that the idea of creativity in the work place has hit a bit of a revolution. It seems the rise in the internet and rapid development of new media/communication technologies have created a new group of people. The Creatives.
Thank you for your response, Schakaib. Tho my 'answer' to the question will not be so simply short, I find in your thots the 'elegance of simplicity'.

eyetood
12-05-2010, 12:49 AM
What is Creativity? Part 1 [your voice] has been published. the link is in my sig
Thank you.

eyetood
12-09-2010, 10:50 PM
I'm happy to inform that the question, "What is Creativity?", has been published on my journal in complete form- with 3 parts.

I would very much appreciate any constructive comments or crits either directly on the journal itself or right here. (the link is in my sig)

I will be on holiday break as of tomorrow (12/10/10) and my access to internet/emails will be occaisional during this time. but I hope that some of you will leave feedback. thank you, and happy holidays to all.

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2010, 10:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.