PDA

View Full Version : Travis Howe; 2010 Character Animation Reel

travishowe
11-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Hi Everyone!
I've recently put together a pass on my Character Animation Reel. I am currently working on a dialogue -- something I know is lacking from this reel.

http://vimeo.com/16316373

Thank you so much for any thoughts and critiques you might have to offer.

Trav

NickWhitmire
11-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Nice reel. love the animal anims. really nice. Last clip is hilarious....great work :)

travishowe
11-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks, Nick! I took a look at your reel. It's AMAZING!

mezze
11-01-2010, 10:36 PM
exelent work

travishowe
11-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Thank you Milicko. Beautiful renders in your portfolio!

MrcorroC
11-02-2010, 06:15 AM
agreed great reel man, I like the animation with the guy with the green hair, as he hanging onto the string while it move down stairs, to me that displays a lot of character, the only thing is I think the beginning animation was a bit to long, to start the reel off, maybe cut some of the beginning part of that animation to shorten it by a few seconds, other than that good stuff man

KielFiggins
11-02-2010, 06:20 AM
Nice work man, really solid game pieces. I would remove some of the AM exercise/earlier pieces, your other pieces can hold up there just fine.

Keep up the creature work man, really great to see!

mistasam02
11-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Great work buddy! I love the variety of Dreamworks style character stuff, game action, and creature animation. Someone give this man a job!

JakeNichols
11-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Very nice, Travis! There are some great pieces on here. You can probably lose the ball dude bouncing across the fence-- it only lengthens it without really adding much. But either way, fantastic work. You should have no problem finding a job.

travishowe
11-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks all for your very kind thoughts and remarks! More to come!

Kaleidoscope
11-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Very cool reel! But I too would remove the ball bouncing on the fence. You show some good timing in other pieces so it doesn't add that much to your reel. Quality over quantity right? :)
But really impressive work!

On a less important note, I think the blue burning letterbox effect is distracting the viewers eye away from the reel itself. Keep in mind that this is a very small thing, but I don't see the point in having it there.

But good job Travis, very inspiring!

olimax1
11-03-2010, 11:06 AM
You've got great anim skills!!
...agree with kaleidoscope about the blue frame at start..no need at all..
Great work overall!!

travishowe
11-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Yes indeed, I do have a job.

There's also "lots of content from which I can pick and choose" already, this is simply a reel cut together of my favorite work. I am planning to cut together a game-only reel eventually, it's just not high on my priorities. This is more of a show-reel than a demo reel (but feel free to contact me, regardless ;) )

Thanks for the kind thoughts and useful notes, all!

Mudokon83
11-03-2010, 07:33 PM
@Sam, ha! he HAS a job, its helping feed his baby good sir! :)

Great reel trav, glad to see the short film clips mixed with in-game, i think when/if you have more short film shots, id start taking out more and more older game stuff, only because I know your reel could be all character/dialogue/acting stuff and you'd be shopping yourself as a solid animator without having to prove "game".

Or do like vet animators do, have a film/acting reel and a game reel. but obviously thats farther down the road when you have a lot more content to pick and choose.

good job

LinchpinZA
11-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Excellent reel Travis.
I am in awe :). I especially loved the detail of animation in the big & heavy characters, they had a very life-like sense of weight to their movement and I feel this is something character animators don't show enough of in their reels, good job!

-Chris.

gryta
11-06-2010, 03:59 PM
nice stuff

alaa-afifah
11-07-2010, 07:24 AM
cool man that is cool every thing from timing to weight to overlapping
keep...up
my web site
www.alaaafifah.com

StylizedReality
11-27-2010, 08:28 PM
I know I'm dredging this up from the distant past, but awesome reel! Nice weight, especially in the rope shot. Really looking forward to your dialogue piece :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-27-2010, 08:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.