PDA

View Full Version : Digital Snow

Phugative
10-07-2003, 08:48 PM
Using maya 5 or lower what are some people's methods to creating realistic snow fall? I have done it with sprites and particles, but I am curious if people have used other methods. What ways have you created digital snow for LIVE action footage, any tips and tricks for extra realism?

rokandic
10-08-2003, 10:17 AM
I've always used sprites for live action footage. I've also had nice results with sprites when there was snow already in the shot and later added another layer of CG snow :)

There are some issues with hardware sprites however, like limited control over shading. In such cases I would create particle instance with simple planes that would allow me to render sprites in software render because of easier control over shading, etc...

One thing that I find very important is that I get the snow flake textures done right (animation, highlights, etc...), since sprite is just a card always oriented towards camera...

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.