PDA

View Full Version : trouble with animating character rig with a long tail and tongue

PiotrAdamczyk
10-31-2010, 12:01 AM
Is it possible in motion builder to rotate the foot bone in a way that toe bones stay in place? I had no problem doing it in 3dmax or Maya and then i heard it's an issue in motion builder.

bclark
11-02-2010, 09:13 PM
You can do a few diffrent foot rigs for it to work just like a Maya or Max rig but by default the feet are setup to be more FK like, you can use the IK/FK keyframe button to swap reach so similar to Max plant keyframe to pin the foot and let the ankle.

I cover this in detail in the MotionBuilder Masterclass (link in sig.)

mocappy
11-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Hi PiotrAdamczyk

If you're simply looking to rotate the foot around the toe then you can use "rotate around" tool.

Switch to the "Rotate Around" tool by clicking and the holding the Rotate mode button to expand the Rotate menu from the Viewer window Transformation buttons. The Rotate Around icon looks similar to the rotate icon with a dot in the middle.

To use rotate around select the object/s to rotate AND the object to rotate around - in this case the foot and then the toe. This uses the selected object as the new point of rotation.

It may be a little simplistic for your needs, but it may give you some ideas.

Let me know how you get on.

CGTalk Moderation
11-04-2010, 11:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.