PDA

View Full Version : Using Vraysun and Vraylight togheter (sunset rendering)

saescavipica
10-29-2010, 03:48 AM
Hi, as the header says i've been trying to generate an exterior render which enviroment is intended to be during sunset, so I'm using vraysun atached to a daylight system in 3dMax for getting this effect whithout too much trouble.

The building in general it's lighten in a pretty cool way, but floors and grass are darker, as expected, so i wanted to add some lighthing fixtures, illuminting a little bit more the scene...

The problem I'm having is while trying to add some vray lights (on spherical shape) to these lighting posts, at first they were so strong that the sun effect disappeared, no matter how low were their intensity, so i read that excluding them from vray sun or marking them as invisible, would work, so, i did it.

In fact, it worked, I can have now the vray sun effect, but the vraylights don't seem to emit any light and I don't know how to get the vraylight to work in combination with vraylights.

Maybe this isn't something complicated, but is the first time I'm trying to reach a night render, so, I don't even know if it's possible.

I'm using 3dMax 2010 with Vray 1.5 sp5
Let mi know if you need any further information...
Hope you can advise me, thank you very much in advance. XD

phildlight
10-29-2010, 04:08 PM
that's odd. It should've been the other way around. Usually w/ vray sun, you have to set the intensity pretty high for vray lights to show up. Are you using vray physical cam? Is the sun set to defaults?

I just finished a dusk scene, and I had the vray lights w/ a strength of 30 and set to invisible. I had a vraylightmaterial on the light posts and it was set to 3.

<edit> I think I found your problem. Like I said, w/ the vray lights and the vray sun/sky setup with a physical camera, you have to set the lights very high. It's really the skymap in the environment slot and the physical camera that causes this. I read somewhere that the value the lights have to be increased by is 300.

Here are 2 shots created the 2 ways that I usually create dusk scenes. One uses a dome w/ a sky mapped on it and the other is the straight vray sky. I've included the max file for this for you too. Maybe you can use it as a template. Hope this helps.

Vray sun/sky & physical cam (sun intensity=1.0, vraylight/lightmaterial intensity=300, camera- f=8, shutter=200, ISO=100):
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss334/phildlight/physicalcamsunsky.jpg

Sky dome/Fake sun & standard cam setup (Sun intensity=.025, vraylight=30, vraylightmat=3):
http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss334/phildlight/skydome_fake_sun.jpg

Max file (2010):
http://depositfiles.com/files/8cm6k2tif

I saved down from 2011, so I hope the files work.

saescavipica
10-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Thank you very much, I'll try it out XD

saescavipica
10-30-2010, 12:58 AM
I'm sorry, I really appreciate your help, but as I'm using 3dMax 2010 I wasn't able to open the files and I'm really intersted on checking it out. Would it be too much trouble uploading it again in an older version? I would really appreciate it. Thank you XD

CGTalk Moderation
10-30-2010, 12:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.