PDA

View Full Version : How to make Blood.....ahh the best way....

Vizart
05-30-2002, 12:09 PM
Hi guys,
and welcome to my, he :applause:

What do you think the best way is to make blood??
I've tried a few tests, but i think it looks like painting....
This one is made as a blend-material in Max

Tell me what you think and also if you know some goodie tricks, in max or photoshop.
Thanks

http://www.3dviz-art.dk/forum_screens/blood_test4.jpg

Wancieho
05-30-2002, 12:34 PM
Blood is darker than that in my opinion. Try using a gradient fill. Make the inner darker and outer lighter in colour. Might add some spice:)

Push up your glossiness aswell.

leigh
05-30-2002, 12:53 PM
Yeah I agree that it does need to be made darker.
Ummm instead of using a blend material, have you considered painting your own blood maps?? That way you would have greater control over the look and placement of the blood exclusively.
Just paint your splotches in Photoshop and save them as 32-bit Targas with alpha channels, and stick them on the sword where you want them. That way you could just paint your own spec, ref, gloss, and colour maps tweak them independantly...

Crazy Max
05-31-2002, 02:27 AM
I think that the problem is that your blood has no variation in its thickness. The thicker it is the more opaque it should be.

Take a look at the picture of the blood bag on this link...

http://www.cancer.umn.edu/page/research/trsplant/cord2.html

See how it is almost transparent when it is very thin.
Keep in mind that blood also gets darker as it dries.

:)

Vizart
05-31-2002, 02:36 PM
Thanks for your replyes,
Yes your right, i'll made the blood darker, and change the bumbmap to get a better variation in its thickness.

Leigh
Yes i'll try paint my own blood, but im not very good to use a brush. Mostly i use plugins :rolleyes:
I haven't made the Mask myself yet, because this was just a test for blood.

Actually the sword will be a part of an animation.
You will see the character with the sword before a battle (without blood), and after the battle (with blood).
And offcourse in the middle of the battle - Maybe i should try with particles?

Do you have a good advice, what would you do...Particles or difference maps ...or both?
I hope you understand what i mean.

Theres is a long way to go, but you can see what i've done so far in this topic:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9399

pg|
06-02-2002, 09:28 PM
the splatters on that sword doesnt look like blood..
it should be splattered from the edge and backwards... it looks like someone has put that knife/sword on a table and let red paint drip down on it

Vizart
06-03-2002, 06:15 PM
Yes pg|,
Thats why i asked for an advice to make it better :p
I'll paint my own later

Bog
06-03-2002, 07:28 PM
I always find it's best to try to make your textures from reality. So if you get yourself a decent digital camera, and set up a nice, bright diffused light environment, then hit someone repeately with a sword, this should give you a good starting image.

Uh.... actually, that would probably lead to paperwork.

*grins* Sorry, I couldn't resist it!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.