PDA

View Full Version : DreamWorks to make Alma into feature film

RobertoOrtiz
10-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Quote:
"In what sounds like something out of a Cold War spy novel, DreamWorks Animation has made a deal with Pixar animator Rodrigo Blaas to adapt his award-winning short film Alma into a full length feature.

http://www.collider.com/2010/10/20/alma-dreamworks-animation-guillermo-del-toro/"

Rez007
10-28-2010, 01:50 PM
That is one of my favorite animated shorts!

LuckyBug
10-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Short is great, but i doubt, with all due respect to Del Toro, that feature version will bring something new and better, it is perfect the way it is, don't destroy it ... or at least let Blaas to coordinate something similar, not necessarily the same.

Ballo
10-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Really good news. I think Alma needs more story to explain the shortfilm, and a movie is the best gift.

coreysMonster
10-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Wow, I just found the Alma short two days ago, what a coincidence. I think a full-length film could be pretty good, especially since I doubt many people from the mainstream have seen Alma. It's such a cute character, and such a cool story, that I wouldn't mind it even if they just expanded on the short, but kept the plot more or less the same.

sfox8
10-29-2010, 10:17 AM
I just love seeing new artists rise from the rankings and get a chance at the helm for once. Especially with all the controversy surrounding Pixar at the moment with Brenda Chapman, it's nice to see a company giving someone new a chance.

Even if the film isn't necessarily groundbreaking or pushing the boundaries, it's still a way to get some exposure and experience so that he can eventually try something like that. Alma was great so I'm looking forward to see where they go with this.

bigbad
10-29-2010, 09:28 PM
I want a happy ending if this becomes a movie.

sconlogue
10-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Great short! I assume they would switch over to Renderman for this but it would be awesome if they stuck with Maxwell Render! I think that would be a first. It looks great in the short. Doubt it would play nice with their pipeline though.

Bonedaddy
10-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Great short! I assume they would switch over to Renderman for this but it would be awesome if they stuck with Maxwell Render! I think that would be a first. It looks great in the short. Doubt it would play nice with their pipeline though.

We actually use an in-house renderer, not Renderman-based.

Larry_g1s
11-01-2010, 04:28 PM
I want a happy ending if this becomes a movie.ha ha, no kidding! It's a great short, but not something I want my kids seeing.

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2010, 04:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.