PDA

View Full Version : "Melvin" Character

Edmart
10-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Hi guys.

I'm rigging a character, and things aren't looking good.
I wonder if anybody could tell me where I could find Melvin's skeleton.
I have a tip that we can learn a lot with it, but I can't find it anywhere.

I'd apreciate some help.

:(

Thanks

Wardile
10-14-2003, 03:46 PM
Who's melvin ?

Atwooki
10-14-2003, 04:04 PM
alias' site (community ---> sample files....)

Atwooki

Nenox
10-14-2003, 05:02 PM
Melvin is the character that Alias uses for the "Learning maya: Character rigging and animation" book.

Yes you can learn alot with it. A few very nasty habbits as well! I must say that even though the book teaches some good things, the final Melvin deforms and animates... well, kinda crappy! Why doesn't Alias get some competent people to work together with the techheads?? Such a sweet program as Maya deserves to have some sweet training materials, even for the basic level! So the models should be sclupted well, with binding in mind, and the rigging techniques should have their root in highend industry proven methods. Seem to me that a lot of the stuff you learn with the book, you would have to unlearn as you progress your knowlage and experience?!

If I ever did a book on rigging (not that I'm even close to being good enough now) I would make sure that the whole thing inspired visualy/had a high visual quality and appeal.. that's what CG is about, isn't it? This eg. means that unless I start studing drawing/sculpture right now, I would get somebody realy good to model the characters for me. ect...

Ohh and the rotoscoping exercises.. :scream:

OK - I'm out'a line.. Just needed to give out! :annoyed:

(The Maya 5 version)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.