PDA

View Full Version : Lighting a scene.

coolian
10-28-2010, 04:57 AM
Where can i learn about lighting a scene for animation. Everything i find is lighting theory but no practical lighting tutorials. (how to light an object on a backdrop). I understand 3 point lighting, but how this is implicated into an actual scene is beyond me.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

arusnak
11-03-2010, 03:23 PM
You should think of lighting your scene based on how you want the user to feel. You should ask yourself, "What's the message I'm trying to convey?" Lighting is based on the mood of your scene.

There isn't going to be a One-size fits all of how to light, because each scene is different and there a million different ways to light a particular scene. Even every 3-point lighting set-up is going to have different colors and a different lighting types.

To break lighting a scene down, First think of where your camera is face and where your light main source is, what color, which direction, and build from that.

After you've figured that out, add in supporting lights. Before you start sticking lights in think about, why am I using this? Does where I'm placing this light make sense? Will it need to cast shadows?

Read the sticky on this page, even though its "Lighting Theory" it creates a foundation for how to go about lighting a scene. http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/indoor-light.htm

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2010, 03:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.