PDA

View Full Version : Full Sail or Art institute of Indianapolis

blacklabelx360
10-28-2010, 03:21 AM
Which school would be better for computer animation. I also want to build a strong drawing background.

MrConterno
10-30-2010, 04:56 AM
Honestly I'd pick neither. Full Sail has a terrible reputation which they deserve, and Art Institutes are extremely hit and miss.

HughBowen
10-30-2010, 05:43 AM
yea neither Full Sail is a huge no go until they get a a leader/dean that doesn't seem to be into the money more than becoming the best school industry wide.

But check the list on the forums and keep looking trust us it isnt the best you can find for what you will be paying.

If you dont want to worry about getting admitted Art Academy University in San Fran is way better then Full Sail if your looking for open admission

PS: I went there found out the hard way

PS_2:Its funny becuz in the first class they give you they start by talking about cgtalk(which is how i found this place btw). I wonder if they still do that :deal:

MrConterno
10-30-2010, 07:31 PM
PS_2:Its funny becuz in the first class they give you they start by talking about cgtalk(which is how i found this place btw). I wonder if they still do that :deal:

Lol

But yeah if you are able to spend that kind of cash be looking at schools like VFS, VanArts, Ringling, Gnomon, CalArts.

gmsalpha
11-26-2010, 12:05 AM
I live in Orlando, but I would never go to Full Sail. Do a Google search for Full Sail experiences and they'll run the gamut from people saying it was awesome to people saying it's awful. From my experience reading these stories, it sounds like they show you all the fancy equipment and put on a great show to prospective students, but then the actual education is subpar at best. Makes me wary of even going on a tour, as I don't think I can trust them. But that's what I've read.

As for the Art Institutes, there are a lot of them. I went to the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale and got my Associates in Computer Animation. I never got a job. I think I was largely to blame, being a week removed from high school before starting there and thus I didn't necessarily take it as seriously as I should have. But I also blame the curriculum, as I had to take typing, geometry, art history, american history, and just a lot of classes that were a complete waste of time and money when it came to computer animation. We barely touched 3D Studio Max, only got a taste of Alias Wavefront, and....well, it was from '96 to '98 so I can't compare it to what's available now. My memory is a little fuzzy, but the thing is that you're going for a DEGREE. I put that in capital letters because it means you have to take those supplemental general education classes.

Look into a school where the sole focus is making you into a good artist. Generally that will mean you're going to want a certificate rather than a degree.

MrConterno
11-26-2010, 03:37 AM
I live in Orlando, but I would never go to Full Sail. Do a Google search for Full Sail experiences and they'll run the gamut from people saying it was awesome to people saying it's awful. From my experience reading these stories, it sounds like they show you all the fancy equipment and put on a great show to prospective students, but then the actual education is subpar at best. Makes me wary of even going on a tour, as I don't think I can trust them. But that's what I've read.

I just want to comment on the tour. I'm down in Sarasota (south of you) I figured I'd at least go check it out. I'll sum it up for you and for any others interested in going to the tour.

You get a "backstage pass" and are separated into groups by major. Then go into a studio where they film a local news show, complete with flashy light, extremely expensive cameras (and other random shinny tv recording stuff), and they tell you a load of (bull shit) stuff about the school, have some audience interaction, and then send you onto your separate tours. You now get onto a bus (one of those big ones with the semi nice seats and TVs). Get to the main area of the major (for me this was animation). You go into some class rooms and a teacher talks to you, the walls are covered in art that is assumed to be student work but upon close observation you can see these works are definitely done by someone who is experience (i.e. the teachers). You then go into the labs where the computers show some "student work" which is debatable on the truth of that. At the vary best the work is over the several years the school has been open, not like the past class or any thing. Also they stated you use the "best" available software and hardware. I checked the computer, they had Maya 2008 and was xp (2009 was out and so was windows 7). After that you get transported to a large stage, complete with rock band (yes a live rock band [eye roll]), and some more flashy equipment. Then some inspirational stories and a back story of the school owner (devil). After that you are led to a large tent where they give you free food (sit, stay, good dog! *gives cookie*). Also in this tent are LOADS of tables with advisers (salesmen) who can answer any questions and also sign you up. You can also buy loads of Full Sail wear (shit was REALLY expensive even for Orlando standards). After that you a free to go (hopefully with your 70 some grand still in pocket).

Personally I felt like I was at a used cars lot with a HUGE budget to sell their crappy cars. I will give Fail Sail this, they do a really good job at hooking in the average person. Personally I hate Full Sail because in my eyes the worst thing you can do is destroy a young persons dreams. They not only do that, but prey on them; fill them with false hope, and send you away with debt you will have for the greater majority of your life because you are stuck waiting tables. They know full well that 98% of the students that go into their programs will never ever work in the industry and that they are stealing time and money from young impressionable children.

Well that was much longer than intended lol. Gist is, about 10 minuets in, I knew the place was full of shit.

Fail Sail, where dreams go to die.

MDhennin
11-30-2010, 08:12 AM
I recently graduated from Full Sail. The thing about this school is this. Yes they take any average joe off the street. There is no art test, portfolio review or any thing of that nature. So you get a lot of talentless individuals that bring down the reputation, because they were never able to cut it from the beginning. But if you are someone who knows you have what it takes, and are willing to put in the effort and overtime this industry requires, I say it would not be a bad choice. The hours are crazy and at times debilitating, but you walk away with a bachelors in less than two years. I went through the Game Art Course. If you want to work in games and you want to be a modeler, then I say choose this route. If you want to be an animator do not go into the Game Art side, it will not benefit you. I would go through Computer Animation. But Full Sail is only for the hard working, self motivated individual. Do some self evaluation before you make your decision.

HughBowen
11-30-2010, 07:14 PM
I recently graduated from Full Sail. The thing about this school is this. Yes they take any . There is no art test, portfolio review or any thing of that nature. So you get a lot of talentless individuals that bring down the reputation, because they were never able to cut it from the beginning. But if you are someone who knows you have what it takes, and are willing to put in the effort and overtime this industry requires, I say it would not be a bad choice. The hours are crazy and at times debilitating, but you walk away with a bachelors in less than two years. I went through the Game Art Course. If you want to work in games and you want to be a modeler, then I say choose this route. If you want to be an animator do not go into the Game Art side, it will not benefit you. I would go through Computer Animation. But Full Sail is only for the hard working, self motivated individual. Do some self evaluation before you make your decision.
yes and no. I was one of those "talentless joes" that went to Full Sail at the time. I first went for Film(worked as a freelance editor in Salt Lake City,UT doing Sundance Films in my highschool days) fell for Game Art but didnt know shit about it. So for myself it didnt work out becuz I was a average joe off the street who didnt know anything about what I went into at the time. So if you feel you are far from where your skills need to be Full Sail is a no go or if you just starting out too.

An to say a person needs talent to learn something is another topic that I wont get into.

gmsalpha
11-30-2010, 07:55 PM
One of the things I really look forward to when it comes to schools that have a portfolio review and expect a certain level of artistic ability from incoming students is that you'll naturally have a higher bar set for yourself. I want to constantly be looking at my classmates' projects and seeing things that make my jaw drop and make me work to meet the same level of output as those around me. If I go to sleep before midnight, I probably am not working hard enough. Lol.

I certainly agree that you get out what you put in to any learning experience, but if you're surrounded daily by students who lack talent and are unmotivated, and whose work is mediocre, the best that could happen is you're the best of an average group, but it's also possible that bad habits could rub off on you or in the big scheme of things, you don't really know how you stack up because you're not comparing yourself to the best.

Every school will have a handful of really excellent students and thus the school can tout that success, especially in advertising and recruiting efforts, but I'd prefer that the school have a set of standards. It's unfortunate that Full Sail, which is 20 minutes away from me, seems to be all about the money and has gotten a bad reputation because I think if a student really works hard, they'll be successful there.

MrConterno
11-30-2010, 09:12 PM
When it comes to Full Sail, I try to just stick to the same answer.

If you can spend that kind of money (70k ish) go to a place like VFS, Gnomon, Ringling, or CalArts. Places that require you show you are serious about this and actually have artistic talent.

P1a5tik
12-02-2010, 10:50 PM
I'm currently going through the online bachelors for computer animation at Full Sail and I love it so far. I'm about half way through and so far all of my teachers have been really knowledgeable and helpful. Because I'm doing it online, I can still work full time (so far) and study at night and weekends, (using sick days and all nighters for crazy project deadlines.) My take on it so far is that it is what you make it. I try to look at a ton of tutorials on top of what we're learning so that I can ask my teachers about other stuff that isn't involved in the projects we're doing currently. You can definitely tell that some people scrape by with the bare minimum, but in the end they're only hurting themselves. On the other hand, some of the people in my class are creating amazing models. If you're passionate for doing CG, then FS will give you the tools and the access to people that can get you to the skillset that you're after.

dax3d
12-03-2010, 05:25 PM
To sort of back up some points here, let me tell my story.
I lived in the Full Sail area for years, graduated, and been in the industry for a while.
My brother had a kid, so I wanted to come back and spend time with everyone.

I naturally thought of Full Sail because I think I have some pretty good experience under my belt.
I inquired about teaching, and was asked if I'm doing so good "out there" as in Cali, why would I come
teach at Full Sail.

So I'm literally right up the road, and apparently no use to any of the animation students. Take from that what you will, doesn't seem like the greatest attitude if professionals want to teach at your school lol.

gmsalpha
12-04-2010, 01:44 AM
I inquired about teaching, and was asked if I'm doing so good "out there" as in Cali, why would I come teach at Full Sail.

What's the rest of the story? How did you respond and what happened next?

MrConterno
12-04-2010, 02:57 AM
I lived in the Full Sail area for years, graduated, and been in the industry for a while.

I naturally thought of Full Sail because I think I have some pretty good experience under my belt.
I inquired about teaching, and was asked if I'm doing so good "out there" as in Cali, why would I come
teach at Full Sail.

So I'm literally right up the road, and apparently no use to any of the animation students. Take from that what you will, doesn't seem like the greatest attitude if professionals want to teach at your school lol.

I loled :D

HughBowen
12-04-2010, 03:02 AM

teach at Full Sail.

sounds like the person you spoke to was jealous.... :curious:

alexgk
12-04-2010, 03:37 AM
hm, not sure what happened there lol

jesse92
12-06-2010, 04:31 AM
mmm just went through a lot of fullsail animation reels at youtube, and well, they seem pretty good, i dont know why people hate here hate the school so much, i mean, yes, they just want your money, but a lot of other for profit schools too, i could say the same money thing about VFS
and you dont see anyone hating that school, what im saying is, schools like VFS stress the hell out of the students to give their all, and one thing fullsail has is that is full of slackers and guys that dont even care about art, they just go cause they wanted to do an easy job for a living, not cause they love it, so, you end up with a whole bunch of haters saying bad stuff about the school and blaming it for their FAILURE, but if you put a lot of passionate hard work and focus and give it your all, i believe Fullsail can give you pretty good results

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2010, 04:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.