PDA

View Full Version : The Troll Hunter :: Production Focus

PaulHellard
10-28-2010, 01:22 AM
Hey there,

About two months ago, I was alerted to the production of The Troll Hunter by some friends and knew I had to generate something for CGSociety. Today it premieres in Norway amid the most astonishing publicity and news of Universal Pictures interest. It's a great story of small studios working on a pet project, with brilliant results.

Click the image.

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/plug_trolls.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=5929)

asche
10-28-2010, 02:00 AM
nice :) hope it will be good

haavard
10-28-2010, 02:17 AM
This is looking delish!

BigPixolin
10-28-2010, 02:25 AM
Regarding the video where they just keep driving while the thing is walking.
Press the large pedal on the left!

BookMansBlues
10-28-2010, 02:53 AM
Some pretty neat stuff in there. :)

daks
10-28-2010, 06:42 AM
Nice!
they can smell christian blood ? oh thats something new to me:)

bash
10-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Regarding the video where they just keep driving while the thing is walking.
Press the large pedal on the left!
Well that wouldn't do them any good as they're actually chasing the troll. :)

egz
10-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Well that wouldn't do them any good as they're actually chasing the troll. :)

And being in Norway the pedal to the left would most likely be the clutch pedal anyway ;-)

BigPixolin
10-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Well that wouldn't do them any good as they're actually chasing the troll. :) They really have to be under the giant troll in order to chase it?
:shrug:

And being in Norway the pedal to the left would most likely be the clutch pedal anyway ;-) :) Yes in America the small pedal of the far left is also the clutch in a manual transmission. :beer:

bash
10-28-2010, 01:11 PM
They really have to be under the giant troll in order to chase it?
:shrug:
So it seems. Keep your friends close.. etc. :P

But to correct myself. They are indeed trying to get to a safe distance in this scene (who wouldn't?),
but due to his size, he doesn't seem to have a very hard time keeping up with them. That and
it makes it a cool shot for the viewer.

Canadianboy
10-28-2010, 04:07 PM
I can't wait to watch this movie!! it looks awesome :buttrock:

Ballo
10-28-2010, 04:12 PM
I like the results. I'll see it.

Quadart
10-28-2010, 06:19 PM
If your timing’s right, and Mr. Ogre is traveling at his maximum ambulatory speed, you might want to double clutch him in a cloud of dust. Or you might want to a downshift skid and punch the gas while renegotiating your travel in the opposite direction.

Moral of the story, the brake is not always your friend in a clutch.

adrencg
10-28-2010, 07:28 PM
The most important film of our time is Norweigan...

Korhon
10-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Just noticed that the vimeo links are down. Posting link to an alternative site :)

http://www.gimpville.no/storage/trollhunter/TJ_breakdown_720p_h264.mov

SuperRune
10-28-2010, 10:57 PM
If anybody's interested in seeing more, I got some simple before and afters on my site:
http://www.superrune.com/gallery/2010_trolljegeren.php

http://www.superrune.com/gallery/images/2010_tj_shot060_1078.gif

I modeled the troll and sheep in Mudbox and 3ds Max, scripted my own rig setup and animation format (for easy rig updates), used SkinFX for muscles, did the hair in Hair Farm and rendered everything (with 2 bounce brute force GI) in Brazil r/s. Outliner and RPManager was vital for getting things done fast in 3ds Max.

Atle Blakseth did the animation and modeled the guy in armor.

Capel
10-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Well this looks awesome. What a cool concept. The only issue I have is with some of the animation. Wow does it look bad. It's a shame cuz it kind of ruins all of the excellent modeling and surfacing, etc. Ah well, it was only in a few shots and the rest looked pretty great.

Especially loved the end shot with the giant feet. Can't wait to check this out.

MasonDoran
10-29-2010, 07:49 AM
I am curious as to how to work with geometry that is 500 million polygons? Mudbox would start to choke at 40 million?

Korhon
10-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Zbrush has a feature thats called hdsculpt. It can push extreme amounts of polygons!
Mudbox cant compare to Zbrush when it comes to polycount :)

http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/HD_Sculpting

Up to 1 billion polygons! POW! :D

Korhon
10-29-2010, 08:09 AM
Well this looks awesome. What a cool concept. The only issue I have is with some of the animation. Wow does it look bad. It's a shame cuz it kind of ruins all of the excellent modeling and surfacing, etc. Ah well, it was only in a few shots and the rest looked pretty great.

Especially loved the end shot with the giant feet. Can't wait to check this out.

With the budget in mind i think the animation is overall very good! There are some scenes that could use more polishing, but cant compare the animation against bigbudget movies :)

Glad you liked the "Feet" shot! It turned out great!

Capel
10-29-2010, 08:39 AM
With the budget in mind i think the animation is overall very good! There are some scenes that could use more polishing, but cant compare the animation against bigbudget movies :)

Glad you liked the "Feet" shot! It turned out great!

Agreed. And if anything it's a testament to how great this thing looks as a whole. Cuz regardless of any technical shortcomings, I'd jump in line to see it.

jorust
10-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Impressive work! Congrats. :bowdown:

Looking forward to see this movie.

Ulven
10-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Congratulations guys! Looking very much so forward to seeing this next time I'm back in Norway.

leigh
10-29-2010, 10:38 AM
This looks great! I absolutely love Norway and Norwegian mythology (my inner right arm is covered in Norse mythology tattoos, heh), so this is right up my alley. Gimpville have made some really lovely looking trolls there. Whenever I am in a Norwegian forest, I hope to see a troll :) In the absence of any real spottings, I guess this is the next best thing.

Wiro
10-29-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm so glad to see this movie being released and getting international attention. It looks great, especially on a $750K VFX budget!
I hope it paves the way for more VFX in Norway so I can settle down there in my later years :)

Wiro

jorust
10-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Agree with you Leigh and Wiro.

Norway is a great place to live and work.
Here´s what I wake up to every day. Nice view (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_F3P3sKQ77v4/TI4PFzp0k_I/AAAAAAAAAxU/8ROwJzoWlOM/s1600/13092010.jpg)

leigh
10-29-2010, 11:28 AM
I hope it paves the way for more VFX in Norway so I can settle down there in my later years :)

Considering I am planning to move to Norway in a few years, I'm also glad to see VFX work being done there and hope it grows. I don't mind changing careers, but it would be preferable to keep doing what I'm doing when I make the move.

leigh
10-29-2010, 11:29 AM

Here´s what I wake up to every day. Nice view (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_F3P3sKQ77v4/TI4PFzp0k_I/AAAAAAAAAxU/8ROwJzoWlOM/s1600/13092010.jpg)

I hate you.

;_;

jorust
10-29-2010, 11:36 AM
I hate you.

;_;

:)

There is lot of space here, so you are more than welcome.

MasonDoran
10-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Zbrush has a feature thats called hdsculpt. It can push extreme amounts of polygons!
Mudbox cant compare to Zbrush when it comes to polycount :)

http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/HD_Sculpting

Up to 1 billion polygons! POW! :D

I am aware of that feature, but for it to be of any use you would need to be able to bake that to a displacement map on a character that uses multiple UV tiles.

Trolls were done in Mudbox...so I am presuming the character was sculpted to about 10million, and then broken into pieces for the higher subdivision levels.

Wiro
10-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Haha, great view, I'm Norwegian so I know what to expect there!
Funny you're planning on eventually making Norway your home, Leigh but it makes sense since you already know Swedish and love metal ;)

Wiro

Korhon
10-29-2010, 01:41 PM
I am aware of that feature, but for it to be of any use you would need to be able to bake that to a displacement map on a character that uses multiple UV tiles.

Thats exactly what we did, we made a 16k displace. 4 diferent uvtiles on 8k out from zbrush and stiched together in Houdini.

The troll Gimpville made was made in Maya then sculptet in Zbrush. No mudbox.

Ballo
10-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Good picture! But where do you do the parties? :buttrock:

SuperRune
10-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Trolls were done in Mudbox...so I am presuming the character was sculpted to about 10million, and then broken into pieces for the higher subdivision levels.

Keep in mind there were three different companies working on the film, with three very different pipelines and software setups. The article (and the screenshots) isn't quite clear on that. The companies were:

Gimpville (Houdini, Maya, zBrush workflow)
Storm Studios (Maya, zBrush, Renderman)
Superrune (3ds Max, Mudbox, Brazil r/s)

I am sure I was the only one using Mudbox on the film, the others used zBrush :)

MasonDoran
10-29-2010, 02:35 PM
ahh! explains a lot then! So how did you manage 500 million polys in Mudbox then?

OmegaN
10-29-2010, 03:00 PM
I agree this is pretty impressive work from gimpville and superrune, very good work guys! :)

As SuperRune said there where three companies working on this feature and I hope we all three companies will gain from all the attention Norways VFX is getting trough this film so we can become a bigger and more international VFX business.

There were in total 4 troll species in the movie. The cool huge-ass troll Jotne that Gimville did a great job on. The hungry "troll under the bridge" (that i dont remember the name of) that SuperRune almost singlehandedly did (pretty amazing) and then the two trolls Tusseladd and Dovregubben that Storm Studios did. You can check them out here (http://www.stormstudios.no/trollhunter/index.html).

ah and we also use Houdini in our pipeline Rune :)

Again, great work guys!! Im proud of working in Norway!

SuperRune
10-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Hehe, I guess the entire Norwegian VFX community is following this thread (all 20 of us)!

ahh! explains a lot then! So how did you manage 500 million polys in Mudbox then?

I'm not sure who brought up that number, that could have been the Gimpville troll? My troll (at the top of page two on this thread) never went beyond 14 million polys.

Here's a screenshot from my laptop, with the troll inside Mudbox:
http://www.superrune.com/offsite/2010/raglefant_final_mudbox.jpg

(you can see the mesh faintly as a grid on the model)

I had to be really really clever about where I put the polys for this to be efficient all through production. The base mesh is only around 3000 polys, with 1000 of them going to the face. So, really lo-poly stuff when you're animating and simulating.

kelgy
10-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Those trolls are scary.For too long the popular image of a troll was this (http://bluebuddies.com/gallery/Is_This_A_Smurf/jpg/Trolls_Not_Smurfs.jpg) a tiny bug eyed looking thing with Don King-type hair. This film looks ready to set things right again.

And before this I only associated Norway with the place AT-AT walkers stomped through the snow and for being the nationality of the Antarctica camp that released the Thing of 1982. "Hey Sweden!" "They're not Swedish mac, they're Norwegian."

All this needs is a giant ram named Gruff to kick a bridge troll in the ass.

leigh
10-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Those trolls are scary.For too long the popular image of a troll was this (http://bluebuddies.com/gallery/Is_This_A_Smurf/jpg/Trolls_Not_Smurfs.jpg) a tiny bug eyed looking thing with Don King-type hair. This film looks ready to set things right again.

Sadly you find those little abominations in every gift shop in Norway.

kees
10-29-2010, 07:36 PM
...used SkinFX for muscles...

Yay! :)

Amazing work Rune, this is really fun stuff!

SuperRune
10-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Yay! :)

Amazing work Rune, this is really fun stuff!

Well, thank you kees!! Using your muscle plugin really really made a difference for the final result - and it is so easy to use, I had a great little muscle rig up and simulating in two days :)

Angroc
10-30-2010, 05:21 AM
Wow. Looks awesome. Gotta see that!

LadyMedusa
10-30-2010, 06:30 AM
Well this looks awesome. What a cool concept. The only issue I have is with some of the animation. Wow does it look bad. It's a shame cuz it kind of ruins all of the excellent modeling and surfacing, etc.
Still its a milestone away from any sfx we've seen before in Norwegian film.
This is the first norwegian trailer to almost give me goose-bumps. I'm royally impressed by this. Great work :) I hope the rest of the norwegian audience will be wanting more of this as well.

boomji
10-30-2010, 06:54 AM

holieee...
:thumbsup:

Great work fellas.

b

Angroc
10-30-2010, 06:59 AM
Still its a milestone away from any sfx we've seen before in Norwegian film.
This is the first norwegian trailer to almost give me goose-bumps. I'm royally impressed by this. Great work :) I hope the rest of the norwegian audience will be wanting more of this as well.

No, they will insist on more of a certain little rescue boat :D

Ani-MaX
10-31-2010, 02:53 PM
It's really fun for me atleast to see the vfx industry in Norway continuing to grow. Troll Hunter is one of those feature films that makes me proud to be a Norwegian :D

theotheo
10-31-2010, 03:31 PM
It's really fun for me atleast to see the vfx industry in Norway continuing to grow. Troll Hunter is one of those feature films that makes me proud to be a Norwegian :D

Quoted for agreement.

-theo

matlars
10-31-2010, 07:57 PM
This work looks awsome!
Just wow!
Love the huge mountaintroll.
I really like the design of the troll. They are very different from other trolls I have seen in movies, but they really follow the "nordic" tradition of them.
(Is it weird to get homesick after seeing a huge maneating troll?)

Norway has done some excellent VFX lately and it is great to see!
Keep up the good work guys!

I hope I get to see the complete movie soon.

/Mathias

Fingus
11-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Woot, front page and stuff! Congratulations guys! When I first heard about the concept and saw some of the concepts and previz at Filmkameratene I was intensely crossing my fingers that this project would be given justice. And oh my has it ever! I kinda regret not staying in Norway to work just to get a chance to work on such a cool project. But as people are saying, hopefully this will shape the future of Norwegian VFX so it's never too late. :)

dboydesign
11-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Very nice troll there Rune!
It is so fun to see Trollhunter made it to the first page!
Congrats guys, I loved every tiny bit of the movie! Best Norwegian movie I have ever seen :)

evakristjans
11-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Can't wait to see this, I'm really hoping that it'll be shown here in Iceland. Really great work shown in the trailer and featurettes. Good job :)

gryta
11-06-2010, 11:33 AM
cant wait to check this film out. kudos to norway! looking good

CGTalk Moderation
11-06-2010, 11:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.