PDA

View Full Version : Muscle deformation rig WIP

pooby
10-27-2010, 10:59 PM
http://www.vimeo.com/16250607

A basic test of my muscle system In Softimage.
Note the skin sliding effect.
I will be adding other body parts to it over time. The Chest is next on the agenda.

mccollom73
10-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Not bad at all!

I'd love to see the muscles under the skin. Maybe put the video you have now, and the model without the skin next to eachother. PLEASE!!!??

Josh

giordi
10-28-2010, 08:37 AM
nice one! i would like to see the muscle too

pooby
10-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the response.
I cant really show the muscles in the way you suggest though. It doesnt work in a literal fashion like that.

I have done some this morning on the chest.

http://vimeo.com/16274826

metamesh
10-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Paul that looks very neat! could you ellaborate a bit more how is that done?

thanks and good job

DanLane
10-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Nice stuff, is it done via ICE?

Cheers

Dan

pooby
10-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks.

http://www.vimeo.com/16281864

A bit more detail

I am using ICE for the skin, Using slightly varied custom compounds on a couple of levels of subdivision that feed into the final. The compounds provide a mix of iterative ray casting, shrinkwrapping and relaxing.
I don't know what I'd do without ICE. it's just amazing.
The under layer/s are driven by a mix of deformers (bones, kind of) constrained to skinned nurbs surfaces and pose driven shapes.

I am planning to make a commercial tutorial so I don't want to give away all the tricks just yet.

pooby
10-29-2010, 10:40 PM
http://www.vimeo.com/16316821

Improved the deformations, added a neck and applied some mocap

wamo
10-30-2010, 10:46 PM
I like it, keep going on.
Perhaps we should take a look at ICE too, lots of flexibility.

IkerCLoN
10-31-2010, 01:11 AM
Hey, Paul, very n-ICE indeed (sorry, I could not resist). Keep on it!

andyLP
11-04-2010, 03:54 AM
Pretty nice :)
I noticed a small pop on the right shoulder on the front/ back video?
could be the keying.

Andy

Polimeno
11-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks.

http://www.vimeo.com/16281864

A bit more detail

I am using ICE for the skin, Using slightly varied custom compounds on a couple of levels of subdivision that feed into the final. The compounds provide a mix of iterative ray casting, shrinkwrapping and relaxing.
I don't know what I'd do without ICE. it's just amazing.
The under layer/s are driven by a mix of deformers (bones, kind of) constrained to skinned nurbs surfaces and pose driven shapes.

I am planning to make a commercial tutorial so I don't want to give away all the tricks just yet.

Nice man,
Keep going !!

pooby
11-10-2010, 11:26 AM
http://vimeo.com/16690339

another update

ru4it
11-14-2010, 11:59 PM
looks very nice!!
your using ICE with maya or max?
perhaps when your finished you could include a short tut so that some of us noobs can rejoice in ICE's glory.

pooby
11-15-2010, 10:35 AM
looks very nice!!

Thanks. No, I'm using it, with its native package, Softimage.

mr-doOo
11-15-2010, 08:30 PM
looks very nice!!
perhaps when your finished you could include a short tut so that some of us noobs can rejoice in ICE's glory.
Ha ha, this one was funny!

finalgathering
11-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Amazing work Paul.
This kind of stuff isnít easy and requires a lot of anatomy knowledge.
Try to improve on the muscle striations when the muscle gets stressed, especially on the shoulders and pecks.
Looking forward for more.

ICE does rule btw.

MattRennie
11-17-2010, 09:07 AM
What I wouldn't give to have access to ICE! Very nice work with it man. :)

pooby
11-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Thankyou very much.

Off at a slight tangent, I thought I'd upload this facial test that I made earlier in the year for my Greg Mutt videos. ( of which I should really complete more when I get time)

The deformation rigging shares concepts that evolved further into this muscle system. I didn't know how to use ICE at the point when I made this, so its just using XSI's standard toolset.

http://vimeo.com/16960939

andylt1
12-03-2010, 05:21 AM
Hi

Damn! Both the facial test and muscle deformations are of a very high level mate.

How expensive is the muscle sim in real time, is it pretty playable in the viewport? I'm doing a rig using maya muscle and it can be slow. Obviously the end result is for rendering so it doesn't really matter, I just wanted to get an idea of the softimage system and how it handles high end stuff like this.

Also could you elaborate on the face setup for us, is it a blendshape/morphs, joint/bone or more precedural type of rig? the results look sweet.

Oh and add me to the list of ICE lusters!

Cheers

pooby
12-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks very much.

The muscle system isn't realtime, it is about 2fps, but you can visualize the general effect at realtime without the skin sliding.
I don't think I've ever made a realtime deformation rig for a creature. There is always too much going on.
The facial rig is a series of different levels of mesh Subdivision, with each level contributing combinations of shapes, bones constrained to nurbs surfaces. Shrinkwrapping, relax deformers etc. It's a bit abstract and hard to describe. I separate the skin rigging from the structure of the face rigging. The skin itself contains no structural details. Its more along the lines of a very high res coating that reacts to things going on underneath.

I would rig it quite differently now. ICE would allow this to run much much faster and allow me to add lot of different abilities. For example, with ice I can write a custom shrinkwrapper, that is programmed to react to certain logic condition rather than solely weightmap-modulated. This means you can have a far more 'intelligent' skin. Plus ice allows me to write or incorporate others dynamics solvers for simulating a layer of fat. And you can dynamically write the modulating weightmaps frame by frame based upon your logic trees.

I've only learnt ICE in the last few months (from a non programming background), but Already it's become indispensable to me. It's like a way of having each vertex make judgements upon where it should be.

andylt1
12-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Very intersting stuff.

I have made a similar "method" of face setup in maya, constraining joints to nurbs surfaces. Though it was aimed at game production, so no mesh deformers unfortunately. If you could spare the time, I'd love to see a video overlaying your joint layout in the face though, and possibly the effect of the shrinkwrapping. It all sounds very interensting, and I'm just interested on how Maya and Xsi handle similar tasks :)

Yea ICE just looks too enticing for someone like me, sometimes I have to avoid watching too much kick ass work done with it! If I want to do high level stuff like that in maya, like a custom mesh deformers or derrive my own transofmations on dag objects, it's into advanced coding. I'm forcing myself to learn C++ and the API at the moment, which can be a grind. What seems great about ICE is you can pick it up quite qickly and get good results in a, 'relatively', short space of time... and as you said without needing to learn a language! It's opened up the technical possibilities to a wider range of people. Which can only be good for a software package.

I have alot of respect for Xsi as a package, and that was before ICE came along! I've always said, if I had to move packages from Maya it would be to Xsi. However, that's because I've used Max before ;P..

Anyway Great work, Cheers for the reply

pooby
01-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Not exactly part of the muscle system, but all part of the ongoing plan to solve all the flesh deform issues on the body.
This is an old eyelid setup I am currently re-doing in ICE

http://vimeo.com/18949277

TheRazorsEdge
01-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Very, very nice indeed!

Do you plan on making a tut and/or publishing the method/compound? I'd sure be very interested! :)

Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
01-24-2011, 12:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.