PDA

View Full Version : X-Stream Z-Depth integration possible?

moorf
10-27-2010, 02:18 AM
Hi Guys,

The attached image will best show my problem.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/405/teapots.jpg

I am trying to generate a Z-Depth map that includes both the Vue objects and the 3D package elements in the one frame. I am using 3DsMax 2009 and Vue 6 - XStream. In this example scene I can get a Z-Depth map that includes the plants by rendering in Vue, but not by rendering in Max (which is what I really need). The vue elements appear to be invisible to 3DsMax when it comes to generating a Z-Depth map.

Any ideas? I am in the process of updating Vue and would love to know if this will be possible in future releases.

Cheers for the help,
Moorf.

virtuALER
10-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Just a quick test (as I'm also had some issues with Vue's G-Buffers in max), so...
(max2011 trial + Vue 9 PreRelease, hope in future this pair will work as good as now) :
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/7463/vue9prerelinmax.png (http://img249.imageshack.us/i/vue9prerelinmax.png/)

PS just to note: one of the flowers is a vue obj, other were paint with Vue's ecosystem Painter inside 3ds max. Hope it helps. ;)

moorf
10-28-2010, 05:48 AM
Thanks for your reply, it's very helpful.

A question though, Are you using mental ray? If you are, what Render Elements do you have selected under your render settings? My setup only has 'Z-Depth' and 'V-Ray Z-Depth'. Does the newer version include a 'Vue Z-Depth' or are you just using the standard 'Z-Depth'?

Cheers,
Sam.

virtuALER
10-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Yep, mental ray & 'standard Z-Depth'. There's no Vue Z-Depths etc. but probably just a better integration (of the z-buffers)...

JohnW3D1
05-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Did you ever find a Vray-based working solution to this? I am now having the same issue....when I try to render my VrayZDepth (Vray 2.0, 3ds 2010) I get correct results on everything except the Vue objects (which in contrast to yours, are coming out pure white all over).

The same is true for things like VrayVelocity, hell, it seems to be true for all render passes, the Vue objects get ignored entirely or blacked/whited out.

Any more thoughts?

virtuALER
05-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Well, I know this problem (Vue+VRay passes in max), but have no idea how to solve this. Everything I've tried - had no success :(
... still waiting for the fix (update) for this.
The only 'crazy thought' about this is to 'post-compose' somehow ?
(i.e. make 2 separate renders out - in max, in vue standalone) but i'm not sure how to do this 'in the right way' :(

JohnW3D1
05-25-2011, 11:32 AM
I guess the best answer for me is to do another render in mental ray (with the settings tuned to make renders as fast as I can whilst maintaining the quality I need) and extracting zdepth and so on from that.

Hardly ideal!

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2011, 11:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.