PDA

View Full Version : My demo reel

squarefighter
10-27-2010, 12:58 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been a member of the site for a long time, but I hope to become a little more active now that I'm back in the US. I'm looking for work and have a demo reel of stuff prepared to show prospective employers. I've submitted it to a couple studios, but haven't gotten any feedback on it yet. I'm hoping I can get some good advice from people here!

You can check out the video here:
http://vimeo.com/15231433

The animations are from my college portfolio:
00:00 - Vectorman and His Vectorband
00:16 - OSS(Office Space Supplies)
00:32 - Stagnation
00:59 - GBPX(after Piranesi)

The rest are models I've done for projects that haven't yet become animations.

As I mentioned, I haven't gotten any word back from the studios I've submitted this too yet, so I really have no idea how I'm doing. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Kanga
10-27-2010, 01:42 AM
Hi squarefighter.
The quality of your reel is pretty low. The models themselves look very basic in fact on most of them there isnt any smoothing and they are not that attractive. There is no lip sync in your reel to speak of apart from a stapler. If you were asked to do that professionally then that object would really have to speak. Never cut a dialogue off mid stream it screams beginner.

To see where you are hop over to animationmentor.com and check out their best student reels. There is a student showcase reel link on the front page for you to click on. Notice that even the very simple clips are animated to a very high standard, and are cut together exceptionally well.

Check out Bishop 2.0, you know what check out animationmentor itself.

Hope this helps.

squarefighter
10-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Kanga,
I appreciate the feedback. That's kind of hard to hear but your right. Unfortunately, I haven't finished a project since college. And my college didn't have a specialization in 3D graphics in the art department. Those animation mentor reels are really impressive. If those are the people out in the field I've got some stiff competition.

My problem since graduating is completing a single project. But I see now that I'll have to completely re-do my demo reel if I expect to have any chance of getting a job in the industry.

Follow up question, would you recommend completely new material or reworking the material in my current reel?

Thanks again.

Kanga
10-27-2010, 04:29 PM
If you are really serious about animation then I reckon you need the 'Animators Survival Kit' bible. I have it and I am not even an animator.

I think you should forget about scenes for now and get yourself a rig like bishop. Here is a post that has links to those sort of rigs:
http://www.11secondclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1749

I would join that forum if I were you.
Concentrate on expressing emotion and story through good lip syncing and body language. Hit the animation wip forum here hard.

Good luck man

squarefighter
10-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Wow, that website is exactly what I've been looking for. Those preset rigs look great! I'll definitely join up and try my hand at the monthly challenges.

I have a copy of the Animators Survival Kit. I've gone through it but never had a chance to put it to use. Rigging has always been a daunting task that I never seemed to set up quite right. But with these rigs already prepared I can just jump straight in.

Thanks again for the critique and the very useful information. I'll post again in a couple months, hopefully with a few much improved snippets for my reel.

Kanga
10-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Wow, that website is exactly what I've been looking for. Those preset rigs look great! I'll definitely join up and try my hand at the monthly challenges.

I have a copy of the Animators Survival Kit. I've gone through it but never had a chance to put it to use. Rigging has always been a daunting task that I never seemed to set up quite right. But with these rigs already prepared I can just jump straight in.

Thanks again for the critique and the very useful information. I'll post again in a couple months, hopefully with a few much improved snippets for my reel.
Well rigging is a bit of an art in itself. I guessed you wanted to concentrate on animation, which takes loads of time too. Glad you found the info useful. Go get em tiger!

CGTalk Moderation
10-28-2010, 06:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.