PDA

View Full Version : Painter: Impasto f*cks with image Brightness

Gaspode
10-26-2010, 08:31 PM
Hi Guys.
I come from Photoshop, but started up with Corel Painter about two weeks ago.

Working on a motive with lots of very dark areas, i encountered a problem.

Every time i started using brushes with Impasto-Effects, the overall image-brightness and -contrast changed. Just a little bit, maybe 1 or 2 %, but especially when having lots of black or nearly-black spots, it makes a difference.
I already played around with "Surface-Lighting", but there is no option that will keep my brightness 100% the way it was before.

Can i, please, make Painter stop doing this? Is there a way?

Thanks you guys;
TT

Jinbrown
10-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Hi Guys.
I come from Photoshop, but started up with Corel Painter about two weeks ago.

Working on a motive with lots of very dark areas, i encountered a problem.

Every time i started using brushes with Impasto-Effects, the overall image-brightness and -contrast changed. Just a little bit, maybe 1 or 2 %, but especially when having lots of black or nearly-black spots, it makes a difference.
I already played around with "Surface-Lighting", but there is no option that will keep my brightness 100% the way it was before.

Can i, please, make Painter stop doing this? Is there a way?

The short answer is NO, at least not in released Corel Painter versions and, I doubt, in any future version.

Impasto depth and lighting is what makes it Impasto (thick paint). To see this, click the Impasto icon in the upper right corner of your image window (when the file is still in RIFF format). The icon, while active, looks thick. When disabled, the icon looks flat. Notice when it's disabled, the Impasto strokes are also flat and your lighting problem is (temporarily) gone. Now click the icon again to enable Impasto lighting and depth, and restore your thick brush strokes.

The first thing I think of to "repair" the dark areas when you're sure you've completed the Impasto painting, is to save the image in TIFF format, then select those areas and use:

Effects menu > Tonal Control > Adjust Colors

or

Effects menu > Tonal Control > Brightness/Contrast

Good luck!

Jinny

Thanks you guys;
TT

Gaspode
10-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Thank you. I really hope they'll change this in future releases. This effect may be realistic, but can also be annoying, when it comes to working clean and with subtle hues.

Jinbrown
10-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Thank you. I really hope they'll change this in future releases. This effect may be realistic, but can also be annoying, when it comes to working clean and with subtle hues.

Since you apparently don't need Impasto, and aren't familiar enough with Corel Painter yet, two suggestions for how to disable Impasto Lighting and Depth permanently (on a specific/single brush variant):

Restore the Impasto variant to its default state.
Save the Impasto variant with a new name.
Switch to the new Impasto variant (with the new name).
Go to the Brush Controls' Impasto palette and in the Draw to: drop down list, choose Color instead of the default, Color and Depth.
Save the variant again, using the same name you gave it earlier.

http://www.pixelalley.com/brushes/Impasto_depth_and_lighting_disable_method..jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/Impasto_depth_and_lighting_disable_method..tif)

OR:

Simply choose another variant from a different brush category, and one that is not, in its default state, Impasto enabled.

Happy Painting!

Jinny

gruhn
10-29-2010, 01:15 AM
I haven't really used Painter in ages. Maybe Jinny can remember...

There's an effect that creates bumpy texture with different algorithms. My only clear example is over here http://www.hwb.com/gruhn/paint/entrench.html.

You need some variation somewhere in order to apply it. There's one variation that works off image brightness which can usually pick up something with the bristly or color streaky brushes.

Would be nice if the Impasto data weren't hidden away in a corner but was just another image you could access, then you could use it with the /other technique/.

CGTalk Moderation
10-29-2010, 01:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.