PDA

View Full Version : Limit transform with distance node?

DeltaAddiction
10-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if it's possible to have an objects translate value be limited by a specific distance as measured by a Measure Distance node? Thanks!

andyLP
10-26-2010, 03:46 AM
I'd also love to know how to do this. I spent several hours once trying to work it out but had to move on.

uiron
10-26-2010, 06:27 AM
you mean, like directly limiting distance of the controller? i've seen one tricky solution done by colleague, which involves using nurbs sphere (as an outer limit) and geometry constrain, and then playing with constrain's node state (off when inside sphere, on when outside sphere). i don't know if it was possible to use it as animated controller in the rig though, it's hard to set this up without a cycle (object's position directly controls it's position).

i'd actually go with a non-limited controller, but instead limit the thing it controls - that's way easier to setup, and has it's own benefits when animating. limits look cool in rigging showreel,but always result in bumps when doing animation.

andyLP
10-26-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure what DeltaAddiction's purpose is, but I thought it would be useful to have a joint on a face (say on the upper cheek) stop following say the mouth corner control when they get a certain distance apart.
Uiron, thats a really good start, thanks for sharing. I might revisit this problem

DeltaAddiction
10-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Yea, AndyLP, thats the same use I was talking about. I'm going to keep looking, I'd appreciate it if anyone knew how to do that in a somewhat simple manner like with a simple expression or something.

andyLP
10-28-2010, 01:35 AM
Ok I had another quick go at it with a geometry constraint.
Far from perfect but kind of works. It might give you an idea.
http://www.andy-van-straten.com/other/fallOffLimit.rar

Andy

CGTalk Moderation
10-28-2010, 01:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.