PDA

View Full Version : Animating Text

misterwolfy
10-25-2010, 03:47 AM
I'd like to output values as a string, or number, and feed that to a text element in Maya. A count-down animation, or a clock, for example.

How can I update the a text value in Maya?

Thanks for reading!

NaughtyNathan
10-25-2010, 12:14 PM
do you mean like the actual 2D/3D text objects you can create using Create > Text..? I'm not sure you can, without of course writing a script that deletes and recreates the text each time.

does it have to be text objects? There are other ways of producing text on screen that may be better, for example annotation or HUD messages, particles (for numbers) or even just an animated texture..?

What is it for? a rendering? or just debug info/user feedback for a tool you've written?

:nathaN

misterwolfy
10-25-2010, 01:25 PM
It's for a count down animation. I'd like to be able to animate extruded numbers.

Your idea for writing a script to create an new object at each frame will probably work just fine!

I just figured that I was missing something, that there must be a way to access the construction history for the text tool, or something.

Thanks!

NaughtyNathan
10-25-2010, 01:51 PM
you could always just create all the numbers you needed and animate their visibility..

berniebernie
10-25-2010, 03:55 PM
I just figured that I was missing something, that there must be a way to access the construction history for the text tool, or something.

Thanks!

Unfortunately no. It'd be nice to have nice tools, like cinema 4d has.

CGTalk Moderation
10-25-2010, 03:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.