PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT!!! MUDBOX or ZBRUSH question...

jayesh15
10-24-2010, 09:52 AM
hey, i have just started getting into my character sculpts recently and have a few questions...
i am more of a mudbox user and am not YET trained on zbrush.

The questions i have are:

1. do i need to create a basemesh in 3ds max to have a tapology right in the sculpting software. i hear you can re-work the tapology in zbrush. not sure if its possible in mudbox.

2.Also i started a scuplt using the musbox base body (yes i was lazy!), is it possible to re-uv map it as i have made radical changes but the unwrapped uv's still remain exactly the same as they were for the base body(havent changed like my sculpt has)

3. also the zbrush UV MASTER really appeals to me which could make creating models SUPER easy and fun and i would have the freedom to create really DIFFERENT shaped characters (like four arms etc) and be able to unwrap it within zbrush itself........

4. is there anything like uv master for mudbox??

I hope someone can answer these questions soon as i want to figure out if zbrush or mudbox is the way to go...and i'm ITCHING to make something cool..hehe

musashidan
10-24-2010, 10:33 AM
hey, i have just started getting into my character sculpts recently and have a few questions...
i am more of a mudbox user and am not YET trained on zbrush.

The questions i have are:

1. do i need to create a basemesh in 3ds max to have a tapology right in the sculpting software. i hear you can re-work the tapology in zbrush. not sure if its possible in mudbox.

2.Also i started a scuplt using the musbox base body (yes i was lazy!), is it possible to re-uv map it as i have made radical changes but the unwrapped uv's still remain exactly the same as they were for the base body(havent changed like my sculpt has)

3. also the zbrush UV MASTER really appeals to me which could make creating models SUPER easy and fun and i would have the freedom to create really DIFFERENT shaped characters (like four arms etc) and be able to unwrap it within zbrush itself........

4. is there anything like uv master for mudbox??

I hope someone can answer these questions soon as i want to figure out if zbrush or mudbox is the way to go...and i'm ITCHING to make something cool..hehe

You can do Retopo work in ZB(although you're better off doing this in Max) and GoZ now works perfectly in ZB4 so it's a simple case clicking 'GoZ' editing in Max and clicking again to send it back to ZB. Mudbox has no such features.

Mudbox currently has no UV editing tools. Neither does ZB but obviously UVmaster allows you to unwrap(and use the very handy auto-UV tools) your mesh and refine the UV's in your 3D app. There is a workaround in ZB to allow you to move/smooth your UV in the usual quirky, Zcentric way.

If you want to edit UV's from MB then you'll have to export to Max>edit there> and use MB's import UVs function.

ficdogg
10-24-2010, 10:48 AM
1. You dont need a base mesh in zbrush you can use zspheres or some of the primitives to create a base for your sculpt. I prefer to create my base mesh in maya, and work on the edgeflow there, because then i dont have to subdivide the mesh as much in Zbrush to achieve a smoother look.

I have used Mudbox only a little, so a cant say much about it, but in my eyes Zbrush wins, especial zbrush 4 with its new features like the GoZ, and spotlight.

Just for sculpting either software would do a great job, but for the other stuff, like texture painting, retopo, UVs and great workflow between your 3D package and Sculpting package Zbrush would be the choice.

CGTalk Moderation
10-24-2010, 10:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.