PDA

View Full Version : Picking nodes in scene ?

mayamanask
10-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Hey folks,

I was wondering if anybody could help to see how can i pick one node in scene and store the result of picking, like pickButton in Maxscript ?

Thanks in advanced.

NaughtyNathan
10-22-2010, 11:32 AM
huh?
I have no Idea what you are talking about... are you talking about storing the selection as a variable? or Quick Selection Sets? or neither?

:nathaN

mayamanask
10-22-2010, 12:01 PM
huh?
I have no Idea what you are talking about... are you talking about storing the selection as a variable? or Quick Selection Sets? or neither?

Well It is a control(pickButton) in Maxscript, which you press a button then you go to picking mode and select one node in scene, then the button label get changes as the name of the selected node.
And you query the buttonName.object to get the stored picked obj name. Something like that.

I think in Maya it must be done with a scriptjob or a callback right ? I mean like Ik Solver assignment , once you choose it , it says in bottom of Maya that pick the nodes and then it runs the ik creation ....

Is there any way to do so with Maya ? Sorry I'm a newbie in Maya and got a lot of questions yet.

NaughtyNathan
10-22-2010, 12:49 PM
ah! getchya! it's a UI thing.. There's not really any real UI equivalent in Maya, although I'm sure it probably only even exists like this in Max due to the fact that Max has/had a lot of modal dialogs..?

In Maya, whenever any UI is open the user still has complete access to the viewports, tools, entire scene graph and all the other UI (i.e. Outliner, which is kind of similar to Max's "pick list"), so you can just leave the user to choose or pick any node(s) at his leisure and THEN, once he's chosen a relevent node that he want's to use in your UI, he can press your UI button (which then simply queries the selection and dumps it on your button).

do you even need a button with an object on it though... really?

wamo
10-22-2010, 01:30 PM
There's not really any real UI equivalent in Maya, although I'm sure it probably only even exists like this in Max due to the fact that Max has/had a lot of modal dialogs..?

Hum, you perhaps know that in Max it's possible to on/off the Modal: parameter(flag), so no i don't think so, cause you can interactively change scene nodes and etc ... but agree that Maya can be more interactive.

And the pick-button is really same as the concept you described, so here in Maya we first select the node from wherever and then press the button, but there in Max we first press the button then pick(select) the node and no need to write any extra code for changing the button label, ohh sure but if you want to make the label consistent, you need to write little code to take the value and update it.

mayamanask
10-22-2010, 01:38 PM
ah! getchya! it's a UI thing.. There's not really any real UI equivalent in Maya, although I'm sure it probably only even exists like this in Max due to the fact that Max has/had a lot of modal dialogs..?

In Maya, whenever any UI is open the user still has complete access to the viewports, tools, entire scene graph and all the other UI (i.e. Outliner, which is kind of similar to Max's "pick list"), so you can just leave the user to choose or pick any node(s) at his leisure and THEN, once he's chosen a relevent node that he want's to use in your UI, he can press your UI button (which then simply queries the selection and dumps it on your button).

Thanks for your explanation,
I think Ehsan is correct about it too, we can do both way, no difference.

But totally I'm gonna love Maya as long as i learn it more really :)

Thanks guys for replies.

NaughtyNathan
10-22-2010, 01:55 PM
sure, the important thing to remember is not to try and make Maya work like Max...

...lets leave that to Autodesk :D

CGTalk Moderation
10-22-2010, 01:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.