PDA

View Full Version : Does practice a lot help me improve my drawing?

Talamanzana
10-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Hi

I have a question that probably already have been asked, and sorry if it is in the wrong section.

Most of the times in foruns when people ask what they need to do to start, learning or improving their drawing the answer is to practice a lot and drawing a lot. So my question is if it's possible to progress only drawing things or if I need to take classes or buy some books to progress.
At that time i don't have possibilities to take classes, but what books do you recommend? I've heard lot of people talking about Loomis books, so if i download them are they enough to support my practice.

Thanks

Lunatique
10-22-2010, 05:28 AM
Have you checked out this sticky thread in detail?
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=166&t=844409

The one about practicing makes perfect is particularly relevant to your question.

Talamanzana
10-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Hi

Yes I've read that thread, but my doubt is if i can get good at drawing only drawing, without any type of lessons or classes. Because I know that if I practice i will get better, like in everything, but maybe I need some direction before start practice, am I right?

Thank you

Lunatique
10-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Well, if you have no idea what you're doing, then of course you need some kind of instruction, whether it's books, videos, classes, tutorial, and so on. Some people are very intuitive and clever, so they can figure out a lot of stuff on their own, but other people need to be pointed the right direction. Clever and intuitive people generally already know that about themselves because it's always been relatively easier for them to figure out stuff and learn on their own. Even if that's the case, I think it's better to not try to reinvent the wheel on your own. It's usually faster if you take the shortcut of learning from those that have already done it, but be careful about following any specific school of thought--it's best to expose yourself to a wide range of ideas and approaches and then pick and choose what resonates with you the most.

JaredTaylor
10-23-2010, 02:05 AM
I think the thing that helped me the most in drawing was learning about gesture lines. I'm still horrible at it, but that's just due to lack of practice. I learned a bit from vilppu's instructional DVDs as well as figure drawing for animation classes in school.

Line of action and center of gravity is also important, so look into those 3 things and you should have a start.

Alternatively, just read loomis' books, which seems to be the trend around here.

reverseengineering
02-04-2011, 07:55 PM
I do a little of both. I get an image of what I want a drawing to look like in my head. I put all the emotion into it, and trust my intuition. Then, turning it into a reality, is where I discover if I can pull it off. Does it look good on the paper or just in my head? Do I need to improve different areas? This is where I tweak things or go out and teach myself something new. So for me its a combo of intuition and learning new things.

CGTalk Moderation
02-04-2011, 07:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.