PDA

View Full Version : MEL behind getting displacement amount

Paddelli
10-21-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm building a shot of a CG ocean and I think I'm going around it a bit of a difficult way but here goes. I'm using a VRay displacemnent on a plane and I'm going to throw some particles into the mix as well but here's the thing. The particles obviously need to be at the same height as the waves when they collide with objects. I was going to try and make them rest on the waves after they had been emitted but the emitter would also have to be on top of the waves. However it can't just be parented to a locator based on a vertex because for some reason that stays on the ground and isn't affected by the displacement. So I was thinking maybe I could add a locator and write a script that gets its location and then references the displacement map to see how high it should be? Is this feasible or a bit pie in the sky?

I'm not asking for code to be written for me as I'm stil learning so I kind of want to figure it out but I'm not sure you could even do this? Or if it's far to complicated for me to do?

Cheers anyway for reading my awkward stream of consciousness post. Been spending to omouch time around water.

Pad

CGTalk Moderation
10-21-2010, 03:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.