PDA

View Full Version : street fighter palette

JONO
10-06-2003, 03:19 PM
howdy. i need to create old school 32 /64 bit style game art for a project. i was wondering if anyone knows where i can get hold of the color palette used in those graphics.

the idea is to be able to put any graphic ( say something ive rendered out by hand or from lightwave ) and then convert the palette mode to limit the colors so it gets that look. of course ill make it low res. aswell so it becomes more pixelated.

ive run successfull test ( see attached to get a low-bit catridge game look,by idexing the color to 16 - now i just want to make sure the color palette is matching )

Rhubarb
10-06-2003, 03:50 PM
An easy way would be to go to any of the old retro-sites and download some of the screenshots..

OR even better.. download an emulator and grab the screenshots!

JONO
10-06-2003, 04:02 PM
thaught of that and ill prob use a fair bit of that. grabbing peices of tilable texture to construct levels. but i would like the ability to create entirely origional art with whatever source i choose best and tehn be able to run it through a process to 'grade' it to look like 16/32 bit game. main thing is i want the color palette.

here is that test i did demonstrated on a gradient

uncon
10-06-2003, 07:09 PM
you could do a few screen grabs at 24-bit color then use photoshop to reduce the color pallete, go to

Image>mode>indexed color...> then in this pannel that pops up change the type to custom...

You should see your own custom pallete from the image source, you can save that and then just apply it back to your new image when you have it. That will give you the colors you need. Watch out for jpg artifacts from stuff you download off the net though. I think making your own screen grabs would be the way to go.

Rhubarb
10-06-2003, 07:11 PM
You kind of neatly summed up what I tried to say

:)

Skjoldbroder
10-07-2003, 10:11 AM
if you need full control over your palettes and the ability to convert any image to using your current palette, you should really get hold of some oldskool pixel paint programs like dpaint/ppaint/brilliance on the amiga.

on the pc i'd recommend grafx2 http://msi.unilim.fr/~dorme/sunset or deluxepaint 2 (you might have trouble getting hold of that)
- on the last project where i needed to do stuff like this, i used winUAE and emulated personal paint, which was the pixel program i used (back in the day when the amiga1200 was what you had =)

right. hope this helps

all the best.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.