PDA

View Full Version : KRAY versus The Rest Of The World

keraj37
10-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Hi,

I dont know if anybody before tried to touch this problem, but it seams that KRAY is going to rule soon all render engines. For now it is only LW plugin and standalone, but what I heard from the developer itself (he speaks in the thread below): it is being considered to plug it to other 3D aplications like 3ds max. Why it is going to rule? Simple: it is extremly fast and powerfull. It connects unbiased technics with faked. Here on polish CG vortal is stared thread where are many great advices and test renders:

http://www.max3d.pl/forum/showthread.php?t=67960
(You can try to translate from polish to english by google)

For sure many of you know KRAY, but I think it is shame that it is not so popular like other render engines. The problem may be here that there arent to many tutorials. What is sure is that it is better, faster, with more posibilities than i.e. so famus VRAY or MENTAL RAY. But from what I heard KRAY is more unbiased, so it can be compared with such a engines like MAXWELL or FRY.

If anyone has KRAY expiriance, let us know.

cheers

mister3d
10-19-2010, 10:35 PM
If it will be ported to max, it will be possible to make assumptions. They say fast reflections? What about fast MB?

keraj37
10-20-2010, 07:24 AM
They say: real 3D MB, so if it is also so fast like GI and reflections it will be also great solution for animations. But reflections are really fast, just look at the render times on some of the test renders: 1,5 min, 3 min:) For this what I heard you can set GI bounces up to 1500 and the render time will not skyrocket. This same tracing must work with reflections.

pokoy
10-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Looks very impressive, render times seem to be a fraction of what you'd expect.
I'd say it will have a bright future once ported to max, but the integration should be really tight to be able to compete with the other engines.

keraj37
10-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Yeah, not only fast rendering times but also photorealistic posibilities. I.e. This powerfull tone maping with option to blend many variations is very time saving thing.

I really pray for posibility to see it pluged to 3ds max, but not only. I think that developer is very talented and can make it integrated tight with max.

CHRiTTeR
10-21-2010, 07:39 PM
The gallery isnt 'that' impressive, it all looks verry interpolated... where can i check those rendertimes you guys are talking about?

pokoy
10-21-2010, 09:07 PM
where can i check those rendertimes you guys are talking about?

The link in the first post. It's quite a long thread, some images are included along the way.

keraj37
10-22-2010, 06:59 AM
The gallery isnt 'that' impressive, it all looks verry interpolated

I must agree, but for example Janusz Biela (as Sovoy in polish portal), as beta tester made some excelent renders showing the posibilities of KRAY: http://www.max3d.pl/forum/showpost.php?p=956120&postcount=26

And yes, gallery isn't impresive for now I quess, it is developing. KRAY just need to find talented users that can use its power i proper way. For now it is very small community. In example we can see crap renders made in VRAY or MENATL RAY done by non expirianced users. But there planty of amazing renders of users that can use power - why? It is very popular and long time on market. KRAY has evrything what VRAY etc. and many more, so it is positive assumption that it will be proved by many great renders in near future.

thablanchh
10-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Why it is going to rule? Simple: it is extremly fast and powerfull. It connects unbiased technics with faked. Here on polish CG vortal is stared thread where are many great advices and test renders:

What is sure is that it is better, faster, with more posibilities than i.e. so famus VRAY or MENTAL RAY. But from what I heard KRAY is more unbiased, so it can be compared with such a engines like MAXWELL or FRY.

If anyone has KRAY expiriance, let us know.

cheers

I do not think it is going to rule for one simple reason: the CG world is getting more and more diversified. There is a ton of new rendering engines each year, and they are all the best, the fastest and the easiest.

As there is a lot of them out there, and I guess there is a niche for each of them. Do not get me wrong, I'm not saying anything against any rendering engine. But saying that a specific engine is going to rule....that is a weird statement. As there is none that is actually ruling.. Just ones more popular than others, but none are ruling

keraj37
11-03-2010, 10:10 AM
I think I must agree with you - escialy if we take that other engines are still developing. But for know it is very pissible assumption that KRAY will will much form the 3D market - maybe not tommorow but soon...

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2010, 10:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.