PDA

View Full Version : Some modeling environment questions

call4jim
10-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Hi

I'm currently working on an environment and I have been looking at tutorials. But some tutorials model like example one. Where they only added more polygons on 1 wall which means there isnt an edge flow.

I dont know if thats standard practice, but I'm use to a proper edgeflow system for character modeling.

Another thing I like to ask. Example 2 is a room from the outside. If I want to add another room can I just extrude the outer edge, the one's I high lighted so it looks like example 3. Or does that cause some kind of issue down the line?

Also the gap is obvious a door, is it ok to model a door frame and place it in the hole?

Nev4r
10-22-2010, 06:47 PM
good topology/edge flow really only pertains to things that will deform, like a character

as long as you use quads/tris and there arent any gaps in your model and the normals are set appropriately, you wont have any problems in an environment assuming it doesn't deform

if you have a wall thats completely flat and never deforms, theres no reason to add more geometry to it. extrude/shape/merge in any way you like for an environment

also, things dont need to be connected, it will just take more work for no practical reason
ie: a doorframe doesnt need to be a part of the room geometry

call4jim
10-24-2010, 12:58 AM
cheers for that

I'm more use to character modeling and things need to be made right for deforming and stuff.

Yeah the walls I'm doing are generic walls which textures will give the detail where needed.

So just to confirm say I wanted a door frame sloting in the gap. I can just model a seperate door frame mesh and place it where I need it. As oppose to trying to make the door frame from the extruding the walls and so on.

I'm not use to the idea of overlap and intersecting mesh thats all. I'm more use to everything has to be made from minium meshes so like a table is 1 mesh not 5 meshs- 4 legs and a the table top. Though if its not deforming or moving I guess no one would know, or is that bad practice?

CGTalk Moderation
10-24-2010, 12:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.