PDA

View Full Version : Extremely aggravating problem in 3ds max

adeepfrozenfish
10-16-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but what the heck.
Anyhow, i'm trying to apply a camo net to the gun of my tank(like in this tut: http://www.evermotion.org/tutorials/show/7842/tank-modeling-tips-by-piotr-pionier-kolus)
but when i click on "simulate local" it works fine for a bit but as it descends down the barrel of the gun, the vertexes of my plane begin adhering to vertexes inside the barrel instead of those outside like it should be. it's extremely annoying and i'm contemplating suicide by pixie dust. Somebody please help me.

Edit:
Screenshot

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/7995/errorsv.jpg

rbneville
10-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Are you sure you have collisions set right?

adeepfrozenfish
10-18-2010, 11:10 AM
I have no idea to be honest. First time i'm using the cloth modifier. One thing's certain though: i have the barrel and the mantle set as collision objects with a depth of 5. I'm not even sure what any of the settings except offset do.

EDIT:Actually decided to read the help documentation. didn't help because i barely even understand what it's even talking about.
Collision depth for the collision object. If a portion of cloth reaches this depth inside a collision object, then the simulation will no longer try to push the cloth out of the mesh. This value is measured in 3ds Max Design units.

CGough
10-28-2010, 10:00 AM
DO you have a shell modifier on the barrel? I doub't it'd make much difference but it might do. also is your scene to scale? Cloth generaly relies on scene scale.

MrJuzah
12-05-2010, 02:54 PM
I get similar results with cloth when trying to simulate with the cloth already partially inside the collider.
Have you made sure your face normals aren't inverted? Is it possible that you've double-extruded somewhere? Im thinking theres quite a bit of shadow around the first scaling down of the barrel...And the cloth reacts fine for the most part around the first part of the barrel. So perhaps that edge loop is your problem.

Just grabbing at straws as we cant see the simulation. Where ever it intersects/goes haywire first, is your problem. As soon as it gets inside it will drag the rest of the cloth into the mesh

Frankyboy
12-05-2010, 07:19 PM
I suggests you replace the barrel with a simple set of cylinders for the simulation. You could upload your scene for analysis too if you like.

MrJuzah
12-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Goodcall Frank, i ment to say the same thing but completely forgot haha

methodz
12-07-2010, 08:33 AM
check that your cloth has enough tessellation to perform the simulation. it looks like the face count is to low, also, start the simulation just above the collision object and be sure that your rigid body's are set to the correct tang ency. i.e. concave/convex. also be sure that self intersections are not aloud.

Optional solution:
try using a plane primitive in the create tab. change the length and width segments to something like 20x20 and then add the edit poly modifier followed by the cloth modifier. select the plane and choose object properties. select the plane in the left menu and then choose the cloth radio button on the right, choose a default(cotten) and adjust as needed. then at the top choose the add objects button and add the barrel. select the barroll from the left list and choose collision object at the bottem and set depth to 0.1 and hit ok. at the bottem of the modifier menu at the right you can check "enable self collisions" this will stop the plane from crossing over its self. and choose simulate!

Good Luck

DontBlinkx182x
12-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Yea I agree with Frank the first thing I thought of was just create a simple cylinder witht he same dimensions as your barrel.

BldRnr
12-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Actually it is the cloth that must have enough tessellation to simulate or the cloth sim can't read the barrel no matter what.
Better to make an actual peice of cloth following the tutorials to make cloth.
Or follow what methodz wrote.
The main reason is the tesselation of a cloth object is much different than a regular plane. When you look at the tutorials you will see that the cloth looks like it is made with odd shaped triangles. The sim likes this type of geo better.

So methodz is correct.

adeepfrozenfish
01-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, only way i got around was using the cylinder for it, i'll try it again with more polys later.

CGTalk Moderation
01-06-2011, 11:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.