PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial on Medieval Armor in 3D Studio Max

MatthewSullivan
10-16-2010, 03:54 AM
Hello I am new to 3D Studio Max, and I am trying to find a Tutorial on making Medieval Armor. I have researched Google for two years now. I found that after I bought 3D Studio Max Suite I might have made a mistake. I found more tutorials on Blender and Rhino than on 3d Studio Max, referring to tutorials on making clothes and armor. I am not someone that likes paying $50.00 dollars to $100.00 dollars for someone elseís models only to learn how they did it, by pulling it apart. Then come up with my own artistical way of doing it or making a different approach without copyrighting someoneís polygon count or look. I guess the market is complete with all the other Molderís that make this stuff that they donít need another Molder to help take the load of game design graphics off their shoulders. I am wondering now if I should give up this route and give up my 3d Studio Max dream and just stick to being an Electronic Engineer that works for $12.00 dollars hour soldering and getting cancer.

floatingworld
10-19-2010, 01:36 PM
hi dude....your post sounded like a rant but im answering anyway because no one else will and I've been there so I have sympathy for u..here goes here is the great secret;
.modelling medieval armour is no different to modelling anything else - you just need good reference marerial to begin with....having said that, when it comes to chain mail, there a few tricks that might help you...there is a good tutorial on this by a guy called paul hormis..also theres a script called slipknot or something lkie that which you can use when you come to this feature. good luck

MatthewSullivan
10-19-2010, 06:55 PM
I appreciate that and your right I was in a bad mood that day. I have been for sometime searching Google. I am glad for the insight on the chain mail. I found another forum that also as wonderful understanding people and that is awesome in my book. Thanks for hearing me. I will look into Paul Hormis and check out his tutorials on chain mail. Once again I do appreciate your response to this my intention was not to upset anyone I was just frustrated with the lack of tutorials on 3Ds Max and basic armor making. Thanks again.

musashidan
10-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Well, we all get a little frustrated from time to time. If it was easy everybody would be doing it, right?
The time spent hunting down specific tutorials on specific items to model would be put to much better use if you used it to learn the fundamental modeling techniques. (also, modeling in all 3D apps is essentially the same so tutorials are interchangeable)

Have a look at the medieval armour on my 'Dwarf' character in my CGportfolio. This was all modeled using basic techniques.

Stick at it and best of luck.

MatthewSullivan
10-21-2010, 02:51 AM
Thanks Musashidan for your response I do appreciate it. I like your Dwarf character. He has some really awesome embellishments that bring out the detail in the armor. Thatís what I am looking for to learn most of all instead of using texture maps to have Mental Ray work harder during the renders. I have the 3D Studio Max 2010 Bible and I am working on polygon modeling. One of the main impressions that got me started in digital media was the graphics used in a lot of the RPG games and I have always been a fan of Fantasy Art. I am just trying to learn how to create some of these things has a molder to benefit the medieval fantasy customers of Daz3D and Renderosity. I would also like to add some additional piece to the basic forms to give it more of future fantasy look also. Then learn how I can go science fiction modification armor has well, like in the movie Riddick. I am just trying to learn how to find some reference videos or tutorials, so I am not going the long way around in my design working coming up with higher polygon counts. I have tried to use the compound Boolean option to attach a cross embellishment on a plane piece for leg armor with a 180 degree bend. When I set the option for union of the two pieces 3D Studio Max added additional geometry that gave me a strange look. I even mirrored one piece and used the connection option instead of the compound Boolean option and got some weird additional geometry affects has well. Having some reference tutorials would be helpful so I am not hitting reset and starting over my screen in Max all the time, to find a direct path in my design with fewer polygonís instead of deleting and fixing the imperfection that Max throws out sometimes. I have been dealing with this for months now and thatís another reason for the frustration in my previous post. I also wanted to point out I think itís awesome to find a molder form Ireland. Now I feel more at home knowing that some one understands me. Thanks so much for sharing your work and knowledge.

musashidan
10-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Matthew, I would advise against the use of boolean modeling. And If you must use it, it is vitally important that you understand how polymodeling actually works.

Here is a link to an excellent resource for beginners in understanding the technicalities behind polymodeling.

LINK (http://www.guerrillacg.org/home/3d-polygon-modeling)

And here is a link to Grant Warwick's great overview of hardsurface modeling techniques.

LINK (http://vimeo.com/10941211)

Also, if you have a few quid spare, you should look into some of Digital Tutors' videos. Perfect for learning the fundamentals at a pace aimed at beginners.

MatthewSullivan
10-23-2010, 02:35 AM
Thanks Musashidan for those links. I would like to share to the community a tutorial that was created for me on a design I am working on. I hope this helps some other beginners with some quick tips and tricks I havenít even researched yet. Itís from a gentleman from Runtime DNA, DarkEdgeDesign. Here is the Link to the post I made in Runtime DNA. I have been looking at those Digital Tutors for additional insight on the basics thanks for the suggestion.

LINK (http://www.runtimedna.com/forum/showthread.php?56101-3D-Studio-Max-Tutorials)

CGTalk Moderation
10-23-2010, 02:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.