PDA

View Full Version : blender/motionbuilder

JRH
10-05-2003, 09:07 PM
Hi,

I'm working with Motionbuilder and Wings 3d in terms of 3d at the moment but am intrigued by how Blender might fit into this mix. Anybody know if there's a way to move animation/objects/scenes from motionbuilder to Blender and vice versa? The fbx format that is part of motionbuilder is what's used with the commercial 3d apps. My understanding is that this isn't available for blender. Anybody know if this is being developed for blender and whether it's a possibility in the near future? Is anybody who knows all three programmes (wings, Motionbuilder and Blender) able to comment on what Blender will give me in terms of increased functions? I'm ultimately taking everything into Combustion for compositing of live action/CGI. Blender seems like it has a pretty steep learning curve but if it gives me something that I can't do otherwise, it's obviously worth the time.

Thanks in advance.

JRH

Apollux
10-05-2003, 11:51 PM
First... you seem to be a perfect candidate to use the experimental version of Blender (it is called "Tuhopuu" and sometimes "fun blender") since every new file format is tested on it before it goes (if it ever goes) into the official release.

Read these thread as it have links to compiled versions of Tuhopuu

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15088

Now on your specific problem... usually I would advice to export your object into some popular format and then import from whatever app you are using. That is perfectly fine for meshes, but you are talking about animation data... that is deep stuff.

Deep Stuff Solutions:

Basically there are two ways around this, both requiere using python scripts.

A.- You know motion capture formats? I believe there is a python script that can thake the keyframes of your Blender scene and writte them it into Motion Capture data... I'm 100% positive that Motion Capture data can be imported into Blender (I saw a tutorial on the subject).

B.- Again using python, Blender can export to almost every format used by external renderers. Renderman uses .RIB, YafRay uses .XML, VirtuaLight uses ... ???? Whatever, the point is that those files contain both the meshes and the animation data, so if your program can work with any of those format then that would be the best way to go.

About what Blender can or can't do.. the list would be too long to post, so why don' t you tell me more or less what you need so I can provide more specific answers.

Finally, about the learning curve, that is a myth!! Take one or two tutorial to find your way around the interface. Every tool or command on Blender fallows more or less the same workflow and is based on the same logic. So after you lear to use, let's say 5 advanced tools, then you already have learned more than 50% of Blender.
:thumbsup:

Chris
10-06-2003, 01:40 AM
If I can chime in here, I dont know about the Kaydara stuff (I'd love motionbuilder import into blender too though!) however, I use Blender & Combustion together for my freelance work. I used to use 3Ds Max. Blender is no harder to use than any other 3D app - it does work a little differently than other windows programs though, so it may seem harder at first, after a week though, you soon realise it is as easy as any other 3D app to use - a lot of things within it are very similar, & it also contains a lot of stuff which a lot of "high end" systems struggle with (like Non Linear Animation) - its well worth the effort. :thumbsup:

JRH
10-06-2003, 09:55 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I've downloaded and am giving it a go. Couldn't download 2.28c but have 2.28a. I'm sure I'll have additional questions as I get to know the programme.

JRH

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.