PDA

View Full Version : Gnomon School experience?

azorea
10-15-2010, 06:09 AM
Hello everyone, I was just wondering if any of you have ever attended the Gnomon school in Cali and what was your experience there? I'm considering going there after I graduate (college with a fine art degree) but I'm all the way in Massachusetts and I need some feedback about it before I start planning a move. I REALLY wanted to stay in Mass but it seems like Gnomon is the place to be if I want to get into the industry. I find myself comparing every other school to Gnomon, so I'd really love to go there but I need to know if its worth the time and money(especially because it is wicked expensive!) Please let me know :)

Thanks

MrConterno
10-15-2010, 08:21 AM
I don't think anyone here can debate that Gnomon is one of the best schools around. They are definitely one of the best if not the best for modeling. All of the students I have spoken with have had nothing but good things to say.

Now that being said, the school can only give you the tools. If you go in and give it everything you have, you will not regret it. If you expect to go to class and come out amazing, you will learn a very expensive lesson. You should eat, drink, breath CG while you are there.

What specialization are you interested in following?

azorea
10-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Thats exactly what I want to do...I do it anyway on my own I don't believe theres enough time in the day for me to learn all that I have to learn. I want to learn how to do EVERYTHING but mostly the 3d modeling. Right now I am about to receive my bachelor degree in fine arts (there were no good 3d schools around my area) and I am so antsy to do some 3d work in the classroom that I almost transfered out to take whatever I could find (which would have been stupid because I am about to graduate). I definitely want to make 3d models for movies and/or games. It's more about the fact that it is insanely expensive because I would be moving there from Mass and living on my own for the first time in my life (freaky), I'm willing to do it for the school but I need to make sure that it is worth it before hand.

MrConterno
10-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Yeah if you want to do modeling and you can afford it, Gnomon is the school to go to.

I'd say contact an advisor and talk about what you expect out of the school and make sure they agree it's the right thing to do. Don't worry about moving almost all of your classmates will be from all over and all be wondering how the hell they are going to pay the rent lol.

Phaustus
10-15-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm in the same boat! And I'm in Boston too! HEYYYYY.

But yeah I'm shooting for next Fall to go. Just graduated with a BA in graphic design, working a bit now to save up some money...I'm just really concerned about being able to pay rent, honestly. Also which program is best to go with... which one are you looking at, the 2 or 3 year one? I personally love working 2d because that's what I've done up until now, so I figured doing the 3 year program would be best so then I can get the first year to really fine tune stuff. Also, random question if anyone knows - do you need to have a lot of 3d experience to do the 3 year program? I've only taken one beginner course in Maya and that's it. But my drawing skills are down. I'm just unsure what they base it on, and what I should/should not put in the portfolio.

azorea
10-16-2010, 04:09 AM
lol true story I guess we can all be broke together lol : ) Thanks for the words of wisdom! :D

MrConterno
10-16-2010, 04:25 AM
I'm still waiting on the 3 year program to be approved for federal funding. Then I need to find some way to pay for it lol.

azorea
10-16-2010, 04:52 AM
lol time for some money makin ideas

azorea
10-16-2010, 04:55 AM
im already gonna be swamped with loans after I graduate in a few months ... in addition to possibly paying to go to Gnomon.... so its going to be interesting to see how I plan to get myself through this one lol

azorea
10-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Thats sooo awesome I'm not the only one trying to get in from boston! Im not sure which program i want to take yet because I'm a lil iffy about living there on my own for the first time for so long..i wanted to take the three year program but im not sure about the move ...im thinking of taking the 1 year then possibly being there a second year if i like it because they have that option. I am gonna graduate with a degree in studio art in a couple months so i may not need the extra year but i can def use the practice on 2d. I dont think u need extensive knowledge about 3d cuz thats what yourgoing for but im sure it helps to know a bit...i work a lot in blender but im much better at the 2d stuff...im pretty sure thats mostly what theyre lookin for....as for rent ..yeah im scared to find out how much that would be lol ill probably try to find a group of ppl to live with to make it cheaper....how do u feel about leaving boston to go to the exact opposite side of the country lol!?

MrConterno
10-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Personally I think the 3 year is a better idea. You can be a kick ass 3d artist and be crap at 2d, that being said 2d help a lot. Taking that would really lock in those 2d skills.

Gnomon recommends you learn the basics of Maya before coming, but they start from the beginning. So if you go in knowing squat about Maya you should be able to keep up. But, the better you are going in, the better you are coming out. I'd recommend getting to an intermediate level with Maya before going to any school. Check out Digital Tutors is you are interested in learning more. Best place to start learning this stuff.

As far as a portfolio, they said they want to see creativity. For the 3 year you need to show an understanding of the basics of art and potential. For the 2 year you need to show a strong understanding of art. Most people that go into the 2 year have a degree in some kind of art already. Either one you need to show drawings, and they like those to show your interests. CG images are encouraged but not required by any means.

azorea
10-18-2010, 03:54 AM
I was thinking about it and I have to agree the best idea would probably be to take the three year option (the more practice the better) and that's probably what I'll end up choosing...next step is getting in :) hopefully, I'd also have to save up quite a bit but I really feel like it would be worth every minute of it

MrConterno
10-18-2010, 05:52 AM
Maybe I'll see you there :)

good luck

azorea
10-18-2010, 05:59 AM
That would be pretty awesome...thanks for the convo and all your help :) Good luck to you too!!!

Phaustus
10-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Alright so I've another question and I figure it's best to just keep it in this thread - does anyone know how realistic it is to attend Gnomon but at the same time hold a part time job? I'm thinking rooming with others and a part time is the only way I'm going to be able to afford living out there. I expect it will be really difficult, but I'd like to know if it's deliriously difficult or just...possible at all.

azorea
10-19-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm wondering the same thing, i figured I might have to work for a while to make sure I can survive there, I'm possibly going with a group too but ...it would seriously be a miracle if it worked out that way, I'm sure Im going to have to go on my own. I heard the hours there are intense(which is awesome for me) but working and going to a school like Gnomon almost seems impossible. At the same time I have loans that I have to pay off after I graduate my school now (about 22 grand worth) I'm wondering if I have to pay them off after I graduate this school or is I can pay after I graduate Gnomon...if anyone knows about any of this...help us out por favor!! : :banghead:

Phaustus
10-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Yeah I've already started receiving the bills for loans. You can postpone payment on them until after you graduate Gnomon.

I also am trying to save up with a job but it's still not really going to amount to anything by next year, as no one is hiring at the moment. At least it will pay the plane tickets. :/

MrConterno
10-20-2010, 03:30 AM
If you do the three year program you can probably hold a part time job for your first year. But past that you would have to be superman to be able to do it lol.

azorea
10-20-2010, 03:35 AM
really? thats awesome Im going to look into postponing them. Im gonna start trying to find gnomon graduates and emailing them to see how they survived, maybe they have some good ideas.

azorea
10-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Yeah I'll def let ya know! ... if anyone answers lol

Phaustus
10-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Ooooo do it! And let us know how they did it.

azorea
10-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Hey I got a hold of someone who graduated from Gnomon and I was going to see if they would be our hero and possibly write to us through the forum, so think of your questions now so when the person gets on they can answer all of them because they seem very busy, and if they can't see our forum then I'll email the questions. :)

azorea
10-22-2010, 07:15 PM
so please write all your questions down

Phaustus
10-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Woooo!

Ok so my main question is, if you're in class 60 hours a week and you obviously can't manage a part time job while doing that, how do you pay for rent/food? Personal loans?

Also a bit more random of a question - do you work on their computers more often, or your own laptop?

I'll try to think of some more, it seems they always come when I don't have anyone to ask but now that I do I can't think of any!

azorea
10-25-2010, 01:25 AM
I PMed both of you cuz he didn't want his answers posted on a forum so go check your inboxes :) he was pretty helpful..

MrConterno
10-25-2010, 01:27 PM
sweet thanks

EmilDR
10-26-2010, 06:04 PM
hey azorea I have a question too man, I hope you can ask your friend for me :)

Just curious about their usual schedule. How many hours a day and how many days a week do they go to class. And if they don't have classes what do they do? work? or review and apply the things they learnt from that day. I might go to gnomon in a few years after I graduate for a degree in fine arts so I'm kinda curious how it's gonna be once I enrolll :) I might apply for a part time job too! thanks!

vagueblur
10-26-2010, 09:34 PM
As for saving money, it looks like we'd be living in the labs ANYWAY.... so we could just live there as vagrants ^^

MrConterno
10-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Just sleep under the desk :D

EmilDR
10-27-2010, 10:06 PM
that could be an option :shrug: lol

MrConterno
10-28-2010, 12:24 AM
Feel free to add me on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/MrConterno

Gnomon wannabes gotta stick together :p

vagueblur
10-28-2010, 01:24 AM
Odd question - does anyone know if the area around the school (or LA in general) is bicycle friendly? As a clueless midwestener, my impulse has always been to ride on the unused sidewalks but I imagine that won't go down to well in a "civilized" place.

azorea
10-28-2010, 02:17 AM
He said he slept there a lot of the time and it was mad fun but he was also able to keep a part time job, and I've heard that that area is sort of ...uptight-ish so I dunno about the biking but I wouldn't mind biking to school then sleeping under the desks...it's all cool with me ... as long as I get my own desk lol

saprissa9
11-06-2010, 08:26 PM
im going to gnomon very soon. i learned so much through this forum. thanks a lot. ill keep on checking it out.

azorea
11-09-2010, 06:09 AM
Awesome did u get accepted already?

saprissa9
11-10-2010, 02:09 AM
i mean i will go as soon as i finish college. i got one more semester to go and ill get my game dev diploma. after that i will contact them. so i guess i lied; im not going so soon lol :(.

saprissa9
11-10-2010, 02:13 AM
a question for all gnomon students. how much homework do the teachers leave in each class? im planning on taking 4 classes every term. do you think that is enough?

gmsalpha
11-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Hey guys,

I was accepted to Gnomon and will be starting the 2-yr Certificate program January 10th, 2011 so I hope I can answer some questions for you who are hoping to go.

I've been keeping an online blog about my experience which is fairly detailed and I'll be happy to PM you with the address. It chronicles everything from doing Introduction to Maya via Gnomon Online to visiting their campus to submitting my portfolio and interviewing, to being accepted, flying out there again to look at apartments, and now the final parts of the loans process. It might be a little tedious to read, but I tried to keep it somewhat short. Still, I doubt you'll find more information on someone's personal experience so I recommend you start from the beginning. Lol.

In any case, I am super excited to start, where I'll be focusing on modeling/texturing with the goal of creating Pixar style characters, which doesn't generally jive with the monsters and dark material that I see a lot at Gnomon but it's where my interest lie. There is a part of me that wonders if I should consider Visual Effects, though I don't imagine I'll switch my modeling path. I know for certain that I don't want to be an animator.

One thing I can tell you is that it's highly frowned upon to have a part-time job. Can you? Yeah, I suppose you can. But you'd be selling yourself short if you took any study time and were bagging groceries. School is not cheap, so get the max value out of your education so you can attain a job that will allow you to pay off the loans. A lot of students have to take private loans to cover living expenses, so although it's extremely expensive, there's not necessarily any other choice, but it would be that way at any out of town school that expected this much from its students, including probably Vancouver, Ringling, Savannah, etc.

I am very fortunate that my wife will be moving out there with me and will be working from home. We'll get by on one income, but it's a HUGE plus for me. Also, my brother has lived in L.A for about 10 years, so I have a tour guide. Haha. Still, you can't have any reservations or regrets. Once you decide to do something of this magnitude, you have to go in full-speed and give it everything you possibly can.

I don't know what exactly they look for in prospective students, but I'll PM anyone with a link to my gallery if you want to see what got me in. If you think my stuff is way better than yours, then I don't know what to say. Thanks? Lol. If you think it's just so-so, then I imagine you have a great shot.

Good luck to anyone who is serious about going to Gnomon.

azorea
11-26-2010, 05:05 AM
I appreciate your help could you send me the link to your portfolio and blog? That would be great and so helpful! Thanks!!

-Vanessa

Phaustus
11-26-2010, 05:47 AM
Yes please, I would love to see your portfolio!! I've already submitted mine and have a phone interview next week - so I'm really nervous and have no idea where I stand in comparison to the people who've already been accepted.

Question though - even though I have a million questions - but why did you choose the 2 year program over the 3 year one?

gmsalpha
11-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Honestly, the 3-year program is for people who aren't quite where they need to be in regards to drawing/anatomy/perspective, etc. In my case, they liked my 2D stuff enough to feel like I don't need that extra foundation work. Another thing to keep in mind is that they will re-evaluate you after the first year of the 3-year program. You'll have to show them a new portfolio, where you're much more likely to get into the 2-year program.

MrConterno
11-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Just got accepted the other day but I'd still like to see your blog and portfolio.

saprissa9
11-26-2010, 06:20 PM
what kind of questions do they ask in the interview??? and thank you for your help.

Jae1234
11-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Hey guys,
I am also interested in Gnomon school for 3d modeling. If its possible, can you PM me as well on what your experience has been like at the school. Also, has any of you guys taken online classes from Gnomon?

MrConterno
11-28-2010, 08:27 PM
what kind of questions do they ask in the interview??? and thank you for your help.

They didn't give me an interview because I've been talking with them for about a year. They just went ahead and looked at my stuff and accepted me.

From what I have heard it's nothing difficult. You just need to show you are serious about this. Sort of like the questions on the application. If you are serious about doing this and have given it a lot of thought, you will be totally fine.

MrConterno
11-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Hey guys,
I am also interested in Gnomon school for 3d modeling. If its possible, can you PM me as well on what your experience has been like at the school. Also, has any of you guys taken online classes from Gnomon?

You can ask gmsalpha (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=444622) about the online courses, I know he at least took the intro to maya one.

Phaustus
11-30-2010, 05:26 AM
Alright I just had the phone interview tonight. It wasn't anything to worry about. They were really incredibly nice - just asked about my artsy background, and we spoke about the courses and the portfolio I submitted. I guess I applied a bit too early for the summer semester (whoops lol), so I won't find out about being accepted until at least the winter semester starts. :)

azorea
11-30-2010, 05:47 AM
Wow good luck! Better early than late lol :) Do you go to school in the Boston area?

Phaustus
11-30-2010, 07:04 AM
Not anymore, graduated. Working about an hour away from Boston now.

gmsalpha
11-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Oh, I should note that I'm starting at Gnomon in 6 weeks for the Winter '11 term, but I was initially accepted for the Fall '10 term in September. I ended up not being able to do it for various reasons having to do with my current lease and work situation. They said it was totally fine for me to defer my enrollment from September to January. I didn't have to resubmit my portfolio or go through the interview process again. The only real thing that happened is they wouldn't send me my acceptance letter or start the process of talking about tuition/loans until closer to the term I was committing to. So it shouldn't be a problem that you were accepted, but won't be going yet. Just make sure you keep in touch, as they can't quite hold spots for people they're not sure will be there.

MrConterno
11-30-2010, 09:14 PM
0.o just spent all day doing the whole fasfa and vfao thing. I'm still all confused with all the money mumbo jumbo but it sounds like everything went good, I think, maybe, possibly lol.

HughBowen
12-02-2010, 05:59 AM
so does Gnomon offer degree I start school at ETSU in Jan but plan on transferring after the spring semester somewhere else for better job and internship during and after school.(none in Tennessee). I dont see anything about accreditation or degree. I know that it is one of the best around but I still need a Bachelors....

because my choices are in this order:

1BYU
2AAU
3Utah Valley University
4Weber State University
5University of Utah
6University of Arkansas

Gnomon could be a option but not sure on some things

Phaustus
12-02-2010, 06:39 AM
It is accredited, however it does not offer a degree - only certificates. Normally I would frown upon that, but having graduated with an unusable BA in graphic design, and having already researched gnomon obsessively - I would strongly recommend gnomon. Getting a BA for the principle of it isn't the best reason - in the end it's going to be your portfolio/demo reel that will get you the jobs, and a BA can't ensure that...but I'm pretty sure Gnomon can get pretty damn close (wow I sound like an ad). Not saying that you won't get a job or won't be super awesome if you go somewhere else. I just wish that Gnomon's 3 year program existed when I was applying to colleges for undergrad.

green3dhut
12-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Hi all,

I am in my fifth term at Gnomon and I would say I have a fairly decent perspective of Gnomon's strengths, weaknesses, demands and time considerations. Feel free to Email me with your questions and I'll do my best to give you my perspective on what you can expect as a student at Gnomon.

Jeff

azorea
12-10-2010, 04:04 AM
Gnomon doesn't offer you a degree because it isn't going to teach you the basic math, english, history and whatnot it only focuses on art, so it is good for someone like me for example who is about to finish a regular bachelors degree or someone just looking to produce a very strong portfolio that will help you find jobs, they have a VERY HIGH placement rate I believe it is in the 90%s.

MrConterno
12-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Gnomon doesn't offer you a degree because it isn't going to teach you the basic math, english, history and whatnot it only focuses on art, so it is good for someone like me for example who is about to finish a regular bachelors degree or someone just looking to produce a very strong portfolio that will help you find jobs, they have a VERY HIGH placement rate I believe it is in the 90%s.

Heard over the past few years it varied between 92% - 100% (being per class).

Edit: I believe it was Brian that said that. (head of admissions)

HughBowen
12-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Yea it would be a great graduate program but not for a undergrad. I think I still need a Bachelor

CGTalk Moderation
12-10-2010, 07:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.