View Full Version : Free Plugin: PlaceOnPoints

Geespot
10-05-2003, 07:16 PM
Just finished my newest plugin.
You can find it at my site

Its called PlaceOnPoints

www.spot4d.tk

I have a feeling abstract makers will like this one :scream:

Thanks to arndt, Mac version now available!

Enjoy

P.S check the gallery, has some pics i made with it

xeno
10-05-2003, 07:39 PM
Awesome!! Thanx loads d00d, this plugin will make a couple of things im gonna be doing a lot easier!

tmx!

JIII
10-05-2003, 07:48 PM
cool sounding but Xeno your missing your glasses.

FreWe
10-05-2003, 08:13 PM
Thx Geespot! The two plugins you made are VERY useful! :thumbsup:

flingster
10-05-2003, 08:26 PM
anything abstract you got my vote....
will have a mess about...like the idea of making grebble or whatever you guys call it.
basically cube..on cube wall image..space style.
thanks for sharing bud as always.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SeanL
10-05-2003, 08:36 PM
Geespot,

Read your news section...thanks for creating a Mac version :)

Much appreciated.

Geespot
10-05-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by FreWe
Thx Geespot! The two plugins you made are VERY useful! :thumbsup:

Thank you, much appreciated

Im not really an abstract fan but this plugin came about at just messing about with the QikiLoft plugin i made.
I thought it was pretty cool so I started adding to it.

Read your news section...thanks for creating a Mac version

Mac version will be soon. Going to see if I can compile under mac myself first.

Brucie Rosch
10-05-2003, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the plugin (though I have to wait for the Mac version).

I'm confused about the "non-commercial" use limitation though... I'm an illustrator and I get commissioned for assignments... so I can't use your plugin when producing my illustrations? (I assume that's what you mean.)

I'm not sure why a plugin writer would have this restriction, unless you are also selling the plugin.

cookepuss
10-05-2003, 09:37 PM
Good plugin. Only one negative. It doesn't seem to work well with splines. It'll use splines as the cloned object, but not the target object. IOW, you can't directly use this plugin to create cloned objects at spline control ponts.

The work around....

Select the spline's CPs in the structure tab. Copy them. Create a new, empty polygon object. Past the duped vertices into the polygon object. Now, you can use PlaceOnPoints to dupe objects to the former spline's CPs.

Quick and easy work around. Just wish the plugin did this without a hack.

Geespot
10-05-2003, 09:38 PM
well I like to offer free stuff but I would like to be paid for it too. So i decided anyone can use it but if you going to make something and get profit from it then thats not allowed, unless of course I sold it to you.

Just like how you can get academic versions of software, only students can buy the software but they are not allowed to sell any of there work.

Same thing with this, you can use the plugin as much as you want for free, but if you make an image that took advantage of the plugin (and you gained profit from it) you will have to pay.

Iv'e never made anything thats ever been sold, so im all a bit new to it.
Sorry for any confusion

cookepuss
10-05-2003, 09:44 PM
The only problem with that is that the artist would have to be honest enough to disclose his/her commercial use of that plugin. It's a small utility plugin. The chances of you figuring out, "Hey, he used PlaceOnPoints in a commercial project!" is kinda nihl, not to sound rude. PlaceOnPoints is a cool shortcut utility. The emphasis here is in on "shortcut", as it just does something that can already be done manually. Being able to divine its use in a commercial project without some sort of disclosure is one heck of a psychic trick.

I totally agree on you wanting to get paid though. Let's just hope that you make more money where others have starved. :p

Geespot
10-05-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by cookepuss
The only problem with that is that the artist would have to be honest enough to disclose his/her commercial use of that plugin. It's a small utility plugin. The chances of you figuring out, "Hey, he used PlaceOnPoints in a commercial project!" is kinda nihl, not to sound rude. PlaceOnPoints is a cool shortcut utility. The emphasis here is in on "shortcut", as it just does something that can already be done manually.

I totally agree on you wanting to get paid though. Let's just hope that you make more money where others have starved. :p

Yea, I already thought of that. I wouldn't be able to tell if someone used PlaceOnPoints, im just hoping there are more honest people in the world than I think :shrug:

Still im not expecting it to be used commercially anyway.

To your other problem about the spline. Its because a spline isn't really a mesh so the plugin doesn't read it's polygonal data. Not sure how I would go about to making it work with splines but i'll have a look into it

cookepuss
10-05-2003, 10:15 PM
Haven't had the time to read the SDK yet. Still there has to be an obvious data structure associated with the storage of CP info for splines. In theory, you could just dump out the tangent data and use the control point locations. Essentially, that's what's being done in my manual work around. You just need to treat those control points as standard vertices. The only provision would be that you'd have to run a spline/polygon check before initiating the clone process, to block impossible "Place on Polygons" scenarios.

Another use for this code would be to actually clone along the spline, assuming that you use the tangents. With a basic knowledge of splines, this should be fairly easy to implement. Finding the exact location along the spline should be easy too. The math is pretty basic.

JamesMK
10-05-2003, 10:21 PM
Way to go, G - you're on a roll now! :D

danb
10-06-2003, 12:13 AM
cool this is really nice. simple to use too. thanks for sharing it with the world:beer:

Geespot
10-06-2003, 12:18 AM
I changed my mind, use it as you will, for commercial or personal.
no restrictions or anything

Brucie Rosch
10-06-2003, 01:45 AM
I don't have a problem with paying for a plugin if I find it useful... I just didn't see an option for paying (or a price) anywhere on your site.

If you're going to keep writing plugins, you really should think about charging for them (small money for small plugins, bigger for more useful ones). If you've got good ideas and can program, by all means, make money at it! After all, the more motivated you are to make improvements and write new plugins, the better off we all are.

my 2 cents :)

cookepuss
10-06-2003, 03:14 AM
A little suggestion, Geespot. Free or commercial, include some sort of txt file that outlines any terms. If it's straight up freeware then have a text doc that says that in no uncertain terms. If it's commercial or free for non-commercial, have a document that clearly says that. To quote a U2 song, "There's no blood thicker than ink." A man's word is great, but to get it in writing is even better. :) Besides, it's a practical consideration. The words "as is" and "use at your own risk" come to mind. This is for your own benefit as well.

Mentat7
10-06-2003, 03:41 AM
I am having problems with this plugin and the QikiLoft plugin. Neither one is working. I have installed them both the C4d Plugins directory....I can see each of their folders there respectively but they are not showing up in my Plugins menu. I have removed them and reinstalled them but the same thing occurs. Any ideas? I am using 8.1

wuensch
10-06-2003, 10:37 AM
--hehe, came as a godsent.
I am gonna use it to distribute Thorns alion a pipe today for a job.
Thanks
If I could I would pay you right away,( something like 5-10 USD I feel appropriate),.open up a paypal account to be able to accept payment without overhead.
but I would rather suggest you add a couple of features and make it Placeonpoints Pro and make it areal winner:
Add some more randomness, like random Rotation away from Z axis per Object and a randomness to skip polys (no Object on, say, 45 % of polys, get the idea) or to influence the distribution by a map or shader (Black yes, white no, grey:randomness).
That would be a really fine addition to the toolbox then.

Olli

Geespot
10-06-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Mentat7
I am having problems with this plugin and the QikiLoft plugin. Neither one is working. I have installed them both the C4d Plugins directory....I can see each of their folders there respectively but they are not showing up in my Plugins menu. I have removed them and reinstalled them but the same thing occurs. Any ideas? I am using 8.1

Windows or Mac?
Do any other plugins work for you?

Geespot
10-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Olli Wuensch
--hehe, came as a godsent.
I am gonna use it to distribute Thorns alion a pipe today for a job.
Thanks
If I could I would pay you right away,( something like 5-10 USD I feel appropriate),.open up a paypal account to be able to accept payment without overhead.
but I would rather suggest you add a couple of features and make it Placeonpoints Pro and make it areal winner:
Add some more randomness, like random Rotation away from Z axis per Object and a randomness to skip polys (no Object on, say, 45 % of polys, get the idea) or to influence the distribution by a map or shader (Black yes, white no, grey:randomness).
That would be a really fine addition to the toolbox then.

Olli

Funny you should say that, last night when I was going to sleep I thought about a coverage option, where you could choose the amount of coverage the clones would cover. So like a 50% cover would cover about half the object.

the map idea is good, i like that.

I also thought using a spline graph in the attribute manager to decide the scale of the clones across the object.

I don't want to promise anything because the map and spline graph is way over my head, im still learning. Im just going to take things slowly to make sure I know what im doing. I still got alot of 3D math to learn :surprised

If I did managed to add those features in, then maybe I will sell it. I could have two versions PlaceOnPoints which is free, and PlaceOnPoints Pro which costs a small fee. Just something for me to think about

cookepuss, thanks for the advice, I shall do for future plugins.

Brucie Rosch, yea i kinda rushed it out and didnt think much about prices or anything, my fault. Still its free for everyone now so it don't matter :)

Mentat7
10-06-2003, 02:38 PM
I have Windows. And all my other plugins work. They are in the same directory and I can see all of them. These two plugins though just don't show up in C4D when I start it up. :shrug:

wuensch
10-06-2003, 02:56 PM
I am on 8.2 and havetons of plugs installed.
Placeonpoints works for me (Win2000).
Have not tried the other one---
maybe update to8.2 (its a nice update, no Problems so far).
olli

cookepuss
10-06-2003, 03:12 PM
Yeah. I'm using it on 8.2 & WinXP. All of my plugins work, including this one.

Rushy
10-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Hi...

That looks cool - I like playing with abstract stuff. The only drawback is that I have version XL 6.3 - any chance of compliling it for that version?

Cheers

Rushy

gfx@rt
10-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Thanks, very useful!

antevark
10-08-2003, 05:00 AM
If I were you, I'd just put a paypal donate icon somewhere on the website.

Great plugins! Eagerly awaiting the mac version.

Geespot
10-08-2003, 10:44 PM
Rushy, I havn't decided to compile a version for 6.3 yet. I just don't know what differences there might be in the sdk. Its not a priority for me as I want to continue working on it and make it better.

Rushy
10-09-2003, 08:15 AM
Cheers - just a thought.

joefitzm
10-10-2003, 05:58 AM
i have a mac running os X10.2, and i can't seam to get your plugin to work in version 8.2.

any suggestions?

thanks,

joe

Geespot
10-10-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by joefitzm
i have a mac running os X10.2, and i can't seam to get your plugin to work in version 8.2.

any suggestions?

thanks,

joe

Sorry no Mac support...... yet

Scott M C4D
10-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Hiya,

I am also having problems with the two Plugins. They are not in the plugins list even though i have installed them properly in the plugin's folder.

I am using C4D R8.2 XL with Windows 98se.

Geespot
10-11-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Scott M C4D
Hiya,

I am also having problems with the two Plugins. They are not in the plugins list even though i have installed them properly in the plugin's folder.

I am using C4D R8.2 XL with Windows 98se.

To everyone that has problems with the plugins not showing up in the plugins menu, can you check your console window to make sure no errors have been reported in it.

I just don't understand why they wouldn't show, I havn't done anything different or unique.

The only thing I can think of is the directory structure is incorrect.

It should be :

Cinema4d/Plugins/PlaceOnPoints
inside the PlaceOnPoints folder should be PlaceOnPoints.cdl and a folder called res.
Inside the folder res, should be more files and folders.

Same with QikiLoft

Scott M C4D
10-11-2003, 01:41 AM
Yeah checked locations and there the same.

I did check the consol but there is no reference to either of the plugins.

Place on Points does show on the startup loading screen but nowhere to be seen in the program.

Geespot
10-12-2003, 01:19 PM
Mac version of PlaceOnPoints is now available :)

http://www.spot4d.tk

let me know if it works or not

Still don't know why the plugins don't show for some people though, sorry

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.