PDA

View Full Version : Digital Painting, where to start?

RDesigns
10-05-2003, 06:54 PM
I've done a lot of basic 2D design for quite a while (http://rdesigns.1ahosting.us), and I've more or less lost interest in it. The member galleries at http://www.gfxartist.com/ really "wowed" me, and I'm thinking about venturing into digital painting (and I know it'll take me a long time before I can make something on par with those paintings).

Does anyone have some good advice for a 14 year old (grade 10) student that barely knows the basics of sketching and perspective, does not have one of those fancy sketching pads (wacom? I don't know :D) and doesn't know anything about painting in photoshop.

Also, if you have any good tutorials for beginners, please post them here.

Stroker
10-05-2003, 07:46 PM
barely knows the basics of sketching and perspective

Get yourself a small chaulk board, the portable kind. Get some chaulk. Wander around and sketch what you see with as few lines as possible. Erase it and draw something else, again with as few lines as possible.

Along the same lines, try some cheap newsprint and a soft, black charcoal pencil like a 2b. Practice sketching with that.

The idea is to get the basic shape, or feel, with out getting detailed. With out this foundation, details are about useless.

Also, practice sketching with out looking at your paper. It's hard to do, but it helps a great deal.

Or practice by drawing a photo (magazine or whatever) that is upside-down.

Go to the library and read a few books.

bumskee
10-06-2003, 11:41 PM
14, it's great to see you jumping in at this age. Firstly don't expect digital painting to be easy, in fact it probably take ages to be any good. Stroker is absolutely right, follow his advice and start from the fundamental.
Don't rush yourself, take your time and don't expect things to come by easily. draw everything and anything you see, don't drwa from what you remember rather look at what you are drawing, it's not as easy as it sounds but once you get the hang of it, you will learn a lot more.

Hopefully you will figure out how to go on about this. with enough patience and devotion you will do just fine.

good luck

dpvtank
10-08-2003, 04:30 AM
this is awesome...I'm 14 as well and I also happen to live in Mississauga, Ontario.

Anyways, I suggest you go to 3dbuzz.com and sign up for an account there. They have amazing concept art free videos there (starting from stage one...not random stuff)...

I would say start off with a pencil and a paper instead of straightaway jumping into photoshop..

I got into flash when I was 12...and 3d when I was 13 (I spent one year researching which application to use and such)..

it is one thing I've learnt from that journey is that you musn't expect masterpieces overnight..

don't expect to make something epic and cinematic like you see in the movies and games..

it definately takes time and practice..

in the meanwhile, following tutorials around is the best way to go. I suggest you go to Chapters by Square One and pick up a few books.

stuff like The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion, and Internet Animators
by Richard Williams

The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation
by Frank Thomas

books like that..and while you're at it..also drop by and take a look at the 2d artwork (a lot done in photoshop after drawing manually) on http://cgnetworks.com/gallery.php

I find that to also be very inspirational..

just my 2 cents.

(e)
10-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the tips and links, I, too, am looking into digital painting :)

(e)

RDesigns
10-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your great advice! :) I started sketching some days ago, and I think I'm getting the hang of it (I did a lot of sketching in grade 9 so it isn't completely new to me), I can even sketch properly (umm..kind of :D) without looking down.

I understand that things won't happen overnight, but I'd like to know what I should be aiming at, so could you guys please provide some good, basic digital paiting tutorials (I could just find a book in the library, but I find that short, basic online tutorials are much more helpful when I'm doing stuff on the computer). Also, I don't want to spam the board every time I have a new question, so it'd be easier if I just bookmarked it now :D (or even try it out and see how I do).

Thanks for the book recommendations dvptank, but do you there'll be some similar books in the Mississauga Libraby?

Again, thanks guys!!! :)

Ian Jones
10-11-2003, 03:11 AM
try http://www.sumaleth.com/links/

You can search for plenty of thigns over there. We have a 2d painting section here at cgtalk. There are also other forums such as:

forums.sijun.com <--- the old mother of them all

www.conceptart.org <---lots of concept art of course

www.eatpoo.org <--- yes, its a slightly wacky forum.

RDesigns
10-12-2003, 05:15 PM
Thank You!

The tutorials/tips&tricks in www.sumaleth.com and forums.sijun.com were really helpful :lightbulb:.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.