PDA

View Full Version : Return To Underwater City, Eric Unsl (2D)

EricUNSL
10-05-2003, 06:25 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2975/returntounderwatercity_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2975/returntounderwatercity.jpg)

Hi,

Hope everyone is well. This is one of a large number of digital illustrations and Mattes I'll be sending off to various film fx companies this fall. Really focusing on Rhythm & Hues but there's a bunch so... Hope they like it. Hope you like it. Professional insight /critiques welcome. Don't know if this should be in focused critiques or not.

Medium: Photoshop 7 & 3DS Max 4.3

HeroChannel
10-05-2003, 06:36 PM
Hi, great work:applause:

Very good atmosphere and character design, congratulations:thumbsup:

mariamaria
10-05-2003, 09:40 PM
How beautiful!!!!
I like a lot the colors you've used in the whole scene and I specially like the characters, concept and lighting effects over them
I think the environment could be more believable if you put more brightness and some reflections at the window glass and put a little glow at the four neon lights

(sorry my bad english)

OrcOYoyo
10-05-2003, 09:46 PM
Very cool atmosphere, due to the lights and color.
i like it :thumbsup:
I also think that some more reflections on the glass could even more improve the picture.
but its cool as it is no doubt :D

Adainiel
10-06-2003, 12:15 AM
Hey Eric,

i absolutely love the view into the underwater world. The detail you've put into creating the textures on the walls as well as her robe are incredible.

A couple things that stand out to me though, with the female, her leg seems a little bit short compaired to her torso, though it could be just the fabric throwing my eyes off.

Also, the couple seem to be somewhat seperate from the background. I would expect them to be covered in even more blue light then they are now. As it stands it seems that there is a light focused just on the two of them even though the metal background is softer lit.

One last little thing, and these are all just little nit picks, but the furthest building from the window is in a slightly different perspective than the other two. It's almost as if it's on a slant tilting towards us.

Hope these things help and good luck with sending it off!
If you are trying to get more critiques and views i would suggest posting it under the focus critiques section since the 2d gallery can be quiet at times.

Good luck once again = )

JPPLAY
10-06-2003, 03:22 AM
Very nice composition.

kevinology
10-06-2003, 03:53 AM
Hi,
This is wonderful!
Did you do any concept work before hand, and also how long did this take to create?

Anthony
10-06-2003, 04:22 AM
Great work! Very nicely rendered.

Rotamus
10-06-2003, 04:24 AM
simply amazing! i love the robe and the lighting/colors...very well done .. i would love to see the 3d scene without photoshop work because i can see theres a mixture of the 2

:buttrock: awsome work buddy

onewei79
10-06-2003, 04:53 AM
nice painting.. i see you're from NYC... do you know the sci-fi illustrator Donato Giancola?? his site is www.donatoart.com
your work is very similiar to him, composition and background, fleshtone.. etc.. i was wondering if you know him

mrgrfx
10-06-2003, 05:50 AM
Looks just like an awesome sci-fi /fantasy book cover. I'd probably buy the book if I saw that artwork... then again it's kind of romantic, so maybe my wife would buy it... OOOH Fish Love...

Great Painting!!!

DangerousLlama
10-06-2003, 06:15 AM
looks awsome. love the texture on her robe. the purple things on the manta ray creatures tail (?) seem to stick out to much

good luck

spooky3d
10-06-2003, 06:34 AM
Great job love the colors!!

DreiGrasheir
10-06-2003, 07:22 AM
incredible... the only things that stood out to me right away were;

-the tattoo on his arm. It doesn't appear to be blended into the skin, just kind of on there.

-the two highlights on his forearm just below seem kind of out of place.

-as OrcOYoyo said, i think more reflection in the glass would add a lot to the scene.

-i agree with DangerousLlama that the purple seems out of place.

other than that, i'm literally at a loss. The environment is great, the robe is phenominal. keep uf the great work!

caulfield
10-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Really nice...anatomy's beautiful...but there's something I have an issue with.

You're looking directly level at the guy getting it on with the squid lady, but you're looking at the buildings in the background from a different perspective. In other words, they seem to be tilted towards the camera.

I realise this is a major issue, unless the background buildings were rendered out of Max...but to me it seems really obvious.

iratethemad
10-06-2003, 08:40 AM
Alright Sealab 2023 love the pic

misjah
10-06-2003, 10:36 AM
OMG! ...this calls for a tutorial dude :p

Nothing to crit what so ever

TheHellmaster
10-06-2003, 12:16 PM
Really cool. I like it!

Just the perspective trough the window is a little bit strange...

cuse
10-06-2003, 12:53 PM
Think the characters look fantastic, window looks funny?!?

cuse

Thekkur
10-06-2003, 01:02 PM
very nice, no critiques to add except for some of the already mentioned ones.

I don't really like the way the characters interact. But that's a personal flavour. I think it reminds me too much of thos cheap Bouquet series novels.

Hope to see your work in a movie!

slaughters
10-06-2003, 01:28 PM
Technically well done.

I'm not sure why, but the first thing that came to mind when I saw this image was, "Book cover for Romance novel".

Maybe it is the position of the man and woman. It looks like they are holding a pose for the camera instead of being caught in a spontaneous embrace.

Maybe it is just that the image composition reminds me of a book cover, or it might even be the lighting and painting style.

GUYJIN
10-06-2003, 02:01 PM
Beatifull! I particularly enjoy the robe of the lady... amaising texture!
Hats off to you!

rubber-chicken
10-06-2003, 02:38 PM
You should check out http://www.paulyoull.com , he is a friend of mine and does illustrations like yours for book covers, he lives in the UK but works for guys in New York, his brother is also an illustrator but he lives in NY.

His site has all his work on including sketches.

check it out

Chris :p

Oh great pic by the way love the tezture detail

gagn
10-06-2003, 03:13 PM
I think that's a great cover for a sci-fi harlequin novel. You can really feel the passion between the man and that cold-blooded fish-girl.

SouthernLaw
10-06-2003, 03:37 PM
First the critiques...

The perspective from the window is off a bit... as if the room they're in is tilted down towards the sea floor.

The purple things on the vessel (creature?) tail are way too saturated. They pop out and ruin the depth that the rest of the view has.

Now for the praise...

The detail and care in your rendering is awesome! That robe! Wow... just wow!

And I love the expression on the female's face... that smile/smirk is just great.

Good luck in the job hunt!

Kel Solaar
10-06-2003, 04:15 PM
Excellent work, especially the lighning and texturing

Franz
10-06-2003, 04:30 PM
Very impressive Mr.Wilkerson.

Wonderer
10-06-2003, 04:35 PM
That's a hell of a image! Congratulations!:beer:

kaguya
10-06-2003, 05:57 PM
Nice work there!!!
Things that bother me though are her hair feels like avoiding his hand and the cylinder thingy on his hip feels like going into his hip.
Apart from that good job :applause:

Franc
10-06-2003, 06:05 PM
:thumbsup: Beautiful work

Digital Backlot
10-06-2003, 06:35 PM
Dig the ILM tat

Julez4001
10-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Fantastic Image

Apollux
10-06-2003, 07:00 PM
I love this image LOVE IT!

There is something that I must ask: Both characters are 3D or are a studio picture and then composed into the 3D background?

I believe they are 2d composed into 3D because of the perpective issue already mentioned (and that isn't as disturbing as many said). Also, and surprisely nobody mentioned it before, there are some lighting issues here and there.. the light on his skin is comming from a slight different direction than the light on his accesories.

If they are real actors, I must say that the add-on CG touches to make them more "real" are totally cool, I mean HIS wardrobe and HER ears.

On the other hand, if they are 100% 3D then you must must be put on your own temple for adoration of the Rigging gods! One can actually feel his muscles bulging to suppor her weight (chess and forearm are perfect). Hair textures are A1 quality also.

:applause:

Mindgem
10-06-2003, 08:18 PM
Dont flame me now, because i am not a professional, just asking.

Is your painting made from a photo, or is it all "handpainted" ?

cupcake
10-06-2003, 09:40 PM

Nice work.

John Keates
10-06-2003, 10:33 PM
I would like to know if you are using any figure reference. You guys are so good that it is hard to tell sometimes! You are going to well I am sure. Good luck.

pearson
10-07-2003, 01:06 AM
Funny a friend of mine just started at R&H. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Nice image, but what did you use Max for?

o-phile
10-07-2003, 02:00 AM
what's kinda funny (to me)
i can sooooooooo see that as the cover for one of those gurly novels lol

haha, but it's groovy shizza... :)

OOH SPIDEY'S ON

:: gawks at tv ::

JaKaL
10-07-2003, 02:06 AM
Unbelievable work!:buttrock: :beer: You should have no problem nailing down a job! Good Luck!:thumbsup:

EricUNSL
10-07-2003, 05:00 AM
HOLY MOLEY!!!!!!!!!!!

What a amazing response! I thought my thread would've been buried by now. Thank you all very much for your thoughts and suggestions. I personally love the nitpicking because it makes me aware of the little stuff I miss of forget to do after staring at it for so long. Never had this many people react before. Want to answer all your questions....

mariamaria: You're right about the reflection in the glass. Even a dark silhouette would add some more to the piece. I tried it but I thought it conflicted to much with the value contrast I have between the foreground and BG. I'll give it another shot though.

Adainiel: In reality there probably would be more of a blue tone over their bodies but that goes against the warm/cool relationship I was going for. The figures needed to pop first. Thanks for the nitpicks though. I'm still getting the hang of creating convincing mood lighting in my work.

kevinology: I did a couple rough sketches and color sketches before settling on the final comp. I guess about a month's time from start to finish. Pretty standard for a cover commission.

Rotamus: The 3d elements in the scene are the stingray tow ship and one side of the foreground that I duplicated and textured in PS. I'll post the 3d scene if ya really want to get a good laugh at my modeling skills. :blush:

onewei79: Yeah I know Donato! Great guy, I studied with him for over a year at School of Visual Arts NYC. He's still a great mentor to me and his words of wisdom and influence affect my work tremendously. He told me once " Not to scare you or anything, but when you graduate, I'm your direct competition."

mrgrfx: Glad to hear it. That's what I was going for. This sample totally works as a wraparound jacket cover. Although the characters should really be on the right side. Oh well.

Spike: Yeah I know the BG perspective is a bit wacky but I wanted something a bit more dynamic than a eye level shot. I'll post the 3d scene so you can see where I started. Thanks.

misjah: A tutorial? I've got some WIP shots I could show but I doubt anybody really wants to see that stuff.

slaughters: I was totally going for the bookcover feel. Trying to get more cover commissions while trying to break into the fx biz.

rubber-chicken: Wow thanks! I'm been looking for a Youll presence online for years. Yeah I met both Paul and Stephan at Worldcon 2001 in Philadelphia. Got my picture taken with them and Dave Seeley. I know, Total geek boy. They even signed my sketchbook. Tee hee!

Digital Backlot: Dig the ILM tat? Huh?

Apollux: Ok, you're right. The figures started as a black and white photo from a photo ref shoot that was done for me. Then composited into the 3d scene and painted. Man I wish I could model figures well. I'll leave stuff like that up to Pascal and Stahlberg!

Thanks again to everyone for sharing. I've got about 5 more to finish up. Hope it impresses somebody. I'll definitely post the rest as I go.

Eric W.

Apollux
10-07-2003, 05:31 AM
UNSL, not only did you got many attention.. you were put on the Gallery as well.. congratulations :beer:

I guess this is a finished peace, but if I could give you just one advice to improve it, it would be quite simple:

You see the tube-like thing on his pants? could you make it's angle a little more vertical?

A saw and saw the picture many times, and always that tube wanting to take fly on his own was THE ONLY thing disturbing my eye... it sorts of attract the attention toward itself :shrug:

phoenix
10-07-2003, 08:10 AM
very impresive , very erotic.....i love the overal theme .colours are nice

olijosman
10-07-2003, 08:11 AM
great work! I love the hands ,the skin sensation,and the wardrobe!:thumbsup:

Saeed
10-07-2003, 10:41 AM
realy nice job:applause:

cultist
10-07-2003, 01:40 PM
great...so great....and so bookcover :love:
kiss her......yeaaaaaaah, kiss her

and i do want a tutorial

etsuko
10-07-2003, 01:54 PM
The woman's left hand doesn't look like it's touching the guy. It looks abit odd without shadows there? *shrug*

EricUNSL
10-07-2003, 02:40 PM
While researching companies I've found that some prefer to view only demo reels. No websites or portfolio books. So I'm looking for inspiration. An idea on how to set up a reel just of still images. No 3d animation. I've seen dozens of reels here but they're all directed toward character modeling and animation. I have environment models I can show before and after shots of from my digital matte painting.
Anybody know of any other company/individual reels out there that focus on matte work and visual development?

Need to get a solid idea on the pacing, potential music and overall format. I've seen Digital Firepower's reels and Doug Chaings for Robota. It looks like that may be the best way to go.

Thanks guys!

WoW, another request for a tutorial. Won't somebody get upset if I start posting a bunch of WIP pics. I think I'll make one up and post it on my site when it's done.

EricUNSL
10-07-2003, 05:39 PM
Hi,

Ok a couple of you suggested that I put the figures reflection in the window for some added realism. I tried putting it in again and this time I think it came out ok.

So now I ask.. With or without woman's reflection? I like it either way. What do you think?

http://www.starleagueart.com/images/personal/reflect.jpg

Mindgem
10-07-2003, 09:26 PM
Once again, its a great piece, its acctaly depressing, because when I look at my own stuff I am so far away from this.
But, u never answer my question,
did you have any photo reference for this or is it all drawn ?

EricUNSL
10-07-2003, 10:55 PM
Sorry Mindgem,

I thought I answered this already. Yes I used photo reference for this. Since my portfolio is geared toward commercial illustration with a focus on the publishing industry, 80 -90% of my work relies on some help from reference material. The figures started as a black and white photo from a photo ref shoot that was done for me. Then composited into the 3d scene and painted. The City, various objects, patterns, textures and antennas were all painted in. PS 4 life!

Mindgem
10-07-2003, 11:16 PM
Thanx for the answer, its a beautiful bookcover.

Apollux
10-08-2003, 12:38 AM
The reflexions look nice, but untill not seen how it look on the whole scene it is hard to tell if they should stay or go ... and yes, please post WIP images.

JaKaL
10-08-2003, 04:35 AM
The Reflection looks good! keep it!:thumbsup:

EricUNSL
10-08-2003, 04:53 PM
Hi,

Ok a couple people request that I show the 3d portion of the painting that was eventually painted over. These are the foreground and background renders I did in Max. Very quick stuff and a terrific alternative to drawing out the entire environment by hand.

http://www.starleagueart.com/images/personal/3dblock.jpg

http://www.starleagueart.com/images/personal/seaship4.jpg

mariamaria
10-08-2003, 08:15 PM
Congratulations for your place at the gallery!

About reflections, I like them but like apollux say it depends to the effect in the whole scene, anyway it's just a small detail...It looks OK like it is

sethmisek
10-09-2003, 06:39 AM
Wow!! Killer Awsome image.

greengold
10-10-2003, 03:04 AM
Beautiful piece of artwork! I have to agree with a earlier post, it sure looks like a book cover! If you have not sent that to any publishers yet I would highly encourage you to do so. Color and lighting really make the piece stand out, great job.

EricUNSL
10-10-2003, 02:59 PM
Thanks greengold,

Yeah I'm sending all my new work out to everybody. Publishing to film industry. Probably have quicker results with a publishing co. but ya never know. Been looking into getting an agent/ head hunter to do some of the footwork for me while I paint. Oh well back to work....:thumbsup:

Hwang
10-10-2003, 07:11 PM
Great work!!!!
:buttrock:

facial
10-15-2003, 09:22 AM
Really grear stuff, I love it.
Seems like from a Film. LOL

lildragon
10-18-2003, 10:01 AM
Really great work here Eric, I don't have much to crit, it's too well done :)

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Great work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_oct03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

maxchampion25
03-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Was looking for more work from you. Didn't think to check your site. very cool sir. Want to see more.:thumbsup:

dr1ch
03-24-2004, 04:30 PM
yes is there any place we can see more.......what did you use to make this?......mindblowing!

_TIMOTHY_
11-03-2004, 06:48 PM
Great work!! I wish I was nearly as good as you :deal: !!
Love the surrounding, it just fit's perfectly

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.