PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys start off your illustrations?

zef
10-05-2003, 05:22 PM
you guys start off your illustrations. I am a bit curious if most of you sketch your drawings on paper first and scan them in or if you have a Wacom Intuos2 (or any tablet) do you do everything on your comp. Also, do you guys start of on a very high resolution to put in finer details then shrink the image down to size? Thanks for your time.

Zef :arteest:

Hawksmoor
10-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Not one of the big boys or girls here - but anyway:

I tend to do a very very rough drawing in painter (although it could often be a doodle that I like) - simply to get the pose right. I try to keep this small - I find if I work on a larger scale at this stage I lose a bit of the looseness that sketching provides (my mind wants to start being too formal)

After this I'll normally blow it up in painter, and roughly flesh out the sketch adding muscle details, clothing, correcting any wrong bits, etc. Still rough ashell but enough to give me the basic drawing.

Then - because I'm basically anal, I'll print out a copy of this rough base, put it on a lightbox and produce a clean and detailed copy of it, often adding in anything like cracks in rocks, intricate detailing on clothes and so forth (I'm a character concept artist/3d modeller for a games company - so rarely if ever do backgrounds).

Then I scan in the detailed pencil sketch, watercolour it with dark colours (using digital watercolours) and paint forwards to highlights.

Basically pencil, lightbox and an A3 Wacom Intuos. And I normally paint at the size the pic will be seen at - means you know where to put detail rather than watching in blur n fade (no matter how slightly...)

VShane
10-05-2003, 07:12 PM
I sketch all my sketches for paintings at the size I need and 150 dpi. After the rough sketch is done, I add another layer then refine the sketch further on top. Once have the the sketch super tight, I delete the previous layer. From this point I can tak it into inking or painting.

But I do all the process in Painter from sketch up.

Lunatique
10-06-2003, 04:40 AM
I do all my sketches in the computer, and have been since 2002.

tayete
10-07-2003, 02:30 PM
Yep, the same as Lunatique (with quite different results - pity me :( )

I am wondering now if I should always start with paper and pencil and scan it....mumble mumble...

Cole
10-09-2003, 03:26 AM
I almost always do a sketch, which i then scan and ink for coloring, or scan and use as a template for painting. Of course, most of my sketches tend to be on napkins, lined paper, or paper towels since i tend to draw them while im bored somewhere :/ doesnt exactly make for the best scan, but you get used to working with them ...

chrisdejoya
10-10-2003, 04:36 PM
i always draw in real media first. i just don't like how sketching on a wacom feels...you know, moving your hand down there, and seeing the lines up on the screen. no, i won't be getting a Cirriq, pencil and paper is much cheaper thank you.

Trickster
10-11-2003, 04:16 PM
would prefer scanning work in but main problem is that i don;t have a scanner so... i try drawing everything on computer with tablet!

i hate my tablet pen, too chunky!:annoyed:

My Fault
10-11-2003, 06:09 PM
Pencil and paper. Nothing wrong with sketching on the computer, but I already spend enough time on this infernal machine and relish any chance to be off of it. Besides, it's nice to jump on a paddle boat, head in to the middle of the local reservoir and draw. Yeah you could bring a laptop, but if my sketchbook falls in the water it just gets wet, if my laptop does.... my wife would kill me! :p

Quizboy
10-17-2003, 05:04 PM
Hello, I've got a question for you folks who sketch directly into the computer (Lunatique, Wacom Knight, etc.) I am also trying to switch to doing this exclusively, but my main problem is that I am not able to turn the page reliably in order to move my lines with the comfortable curve of my hand as I was taught to sketch. This means I feel extremely uncomfortable with lines that curve to the right and lower side of the screen, and more comfortable with lines that curve left and up...

How do you deal with this? Obviously a Cintiq 18SX Tablet would solve this problem, but do all of you have one of those?

Atwooki
10-17-2003, 05:26 PM
quizboy:
I am also trying to switch to doing this exclusively, but my main problem is that I am not able to turn the page reliably in order to move my lines with the comfortable curve of my hand as I was taught to sketch. This means I feel extremely uncomfortable with lines that curve to the right and lower side of the screen, and more comfortable with lines that curve left and up...

Couldn't agree more....and that lovely 'undo' button the eraser :beer:

Atwooki

wrosado
10-17-2003, 05:26 PM
In Painter you can 'turn' the canvas around like you would a piece of paper. I think the hot key for it in painter 7 is 'E'...

It might not be much but does help draw those curves the way you would with a paper and pencil.

will rosado

Quizboy
10-18-2003, 04:57 AM
damn. guess i have to go learn Painter now of I want to use my tablet effectively...

Osaires
10-18-2003, 03:20 PM
Hi folks, nice topic. :)

In painter 8 you can move the canavas with the space button and rotate with space + alt button,not sure if it works in older version of painter.

I used to paint on paper and scan it, but when i got use to painter 8 i think this works better, and you also got layers and a undo function :thumbsup:

Jinbrown
10-19-2003, 01:22 AM
Hi folks,

In versions as far back as Painter 5 (probably earlier), the following two Tools palette icons/tools are used:

The Grabber tool is used to move the image around in the image window and the letter key to activate it is G

The Rotate Page tool is used to temporarily rotate the entire image (Canvas, Layers, Text, Shapes, etc.) to a more comfortable position when drawing and painting at odd angles and the letter key to activate it is E. Click in the image to jump the image back to the normal upright position.

I find this easier than using the Space bar and Alt+Space Bar because, if you have the Brush tool active and happen to hit the Alt key before hitting the Space Bar, you activate the Dropper tool and sometimes can also activate the main menu bar. Then you have to hit Alt again one or two more times to deactivate the main menu bar and begin all over again.

It's easier to toggle between the G, E and B keys (for me, that is).

Whatever works for you, though, is the best.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.