PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Pascal Campion

Deje3D
10-14-2010, 08:55 AM
I just wanted to share this with a bigger audience. It is copy/pasted from my site:

Pascal Campion has about 4000 friends on facebook. People follow his blog and twitter. There is a really good reason for this. Pascal makes a illustration almost every day. He is known for making moments from everyday life. The illustrations is filled with emotions and mood. We are so lucky that he agreed to make a interview.

For the readers who don’t know you, could you tell us a bit about yourself?
“My name is Pascal Campion
I was born in the States, but I grew up in France.
I went to an art school there called, Ecole Des Arts Decoratifs de Strasbourg, and graduated in 2000
I came to the states right after graduation and started working in the field of animation almost right away.
And I still do, but I don't animate quite as much these days. I mainly do design work”

How do you get the time and motivation to make your daily illustrations?
“Discipline and passion”

What are you thinking about when you are drawing?
“When I'm drawing, I'm thinking about what the characters in my image are thinking, what they did the moments before the action they are doing in the image, the morning before, the days before. I sometimes think about what their jobs are, and how were there parents, and all that helps me figure out what the environment they live in looks like.
I also like to think about what the reader is going to think If I omit a few details, or if I add too much... is it going to help them figure out the story or confuse them?

I think about things like that”

How do you choose the colors for an illustration?
“I chose them based on the mood I'm trying to accomplish.
I try to figure out the type of lighting and temperature I want this slice of life to be in, and based on that and the environment, I find a color palette that suits me and the image.”

Your illustrations seem to be inspired from real life moments. How is it to share these personal moments with the world wide web?
“It feels pretty good.
It's not always based on what has happened to me, but it's usually based on something I'm feeling..and I try to convey the emotions in a way that most people can relate to, because they have felt that at one point or another in their life..or want to feel that.
In that sense, I don't feel like I'm just talking about me, myself and I, but that I'm trying to reach out and talk about universal emotions and feelings
I'm not sure if that makes sense?
I think there are a few major emotions in life...and that we all perceive them in a very different way. a certain situation will make you feel love or tenderness...but the love or tenderness you would experience in this situation is different then the one your neighbor would experience, but you still call these Love and Tenderness.
I try to capture the essence of these emotions and have people experience them the way they would if they were in that situation.
I just use my own experiences as a springboard for that.”

What do you think makes a great artist?
“Vision.”

I know that you've been working at big companies like Dreamworks Animation and Cartoon Network. I am really curious to know, what do you think are the highlights of your carrier- and why?
“I think the main highlight of my career happens every time I get paid to do what I do...no matter what the job is.
I'm still amazed to this day that I can make a living doing art.
It's definitely a great feeling.”

Do you have any hobbies besides drawing?
“A lot!
I read, bike, love movies, Love football, I like wine, I like people watching and above all, I love spending time with my daughter and my wife.
Drawing not my main hobby though.
I use to draw all the time, now I rarely pick up a sketchbook to draw...I'll use one just to jot down story ideas and sketches..not to draw stuff around me.
I admire people who do it though..it's just not what I do.
I think people tend to confuse drawing with telling stories through images... the same way people tend to be surprised when I tell them I'm not a huge animation fan.
I love movies...but I won't go out of my way to see an animated movie just because it is animated.
if I don't think I'm going to care for the story, then I won't see it.
Same thing with two D. I like it a lot, but I won't go see a movie animated in two D unless I think I'm going to like the story.

That said.. when I see old clips of animation done by the old Disney studios, I marvel at them... but that's it.
It's not a major thing for me.”

Where do you picture yourself 10 years from now?
“I have some big projects I'm working on, both professional and personal...I hope that in ten years from now, some of them will have grown to huge proportions in my life!
I hope that by then, I'll be only taking care of them. “

I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did. If you did I will recommend that you stop by Pascal's homepage, where you will find a lot of his work.

http://pascalcampion.com

You can find more original interview on my homepage: http://poly-face.com/Article_Interview_with_Pascal_Campion

cg-cnu
10-15-2010, 07:07 AM
I am a big fan of pascal. I love his work.
Thanks for the interview.

For those who have not seen his video interview..........here is the link.
http://vimeo.com/13387502

Deje3D
10-15-2010, 09:43 AM
yea me 2 :) he is pretty amazing.

NP.

Maostro
02-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Thak you for introducing me this great artisthttp://forums.cgsociety.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=6729070#

So sad he does not love animation, his drawings suggest movement, and you would really love to watch those images in movement

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2011, 03:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.