PDA

View Full Version : best topology for UV layout

Xetil
10-13-2010, 04:21 PM
hi, could anyone tell me how topology is connected to when it comes to laying out UVs?
Will a evenly sized quad poly mesh give me an easier time when laying out the UVs? Or is there other approaches to consider when modelling for best UV layout?

ezekiel66
10-14-2010, 06:08 PM
You can create your topology with animation in mind (so your surface deforms well), but you won't in most cases model with the UV layout in mind.

The UV layout of an evenly sized quad polygon won't be easier than any other polygon. You have to make sure that the UV layout resembles the actual geometry as closely as possible so no texture stretching occurs. You always have to keep the balance between as few UV seams as possible and as little texture stretching as possible.

saynefox
10-17-2010, 09:00 PM
There is no best. UVing is just a good even spread of UV map layout that tells the computer to project your texture along your mesh. Make sure your normals face outward and you don't have any pinching or stretching in your UV map and you should be good.

Place seams where people don't see them or where you won't have a change in color in the middle. You can always use RoadKill or ZebraUV, heduce UV layout.

Hope that helps.

Xetil
10-24-2010, 01:54 PM
thank for the answers, i learned something new there :)

caricature
10-29-2010, 03:35 PM
I prefer model with UV in mind, especially organic models. Here are some templates and once you understand the technique, you can build any shape and partially unwrap to morph to unwrap the model as you model.

http://www.1catalogue.com/3d-encyclopedia/directory.htm (Optimum UV model templates)

CGTalk Moderation
10-29-2010, 03:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.