PDA

View Full Version : Ecosystem/ variable density Question!!!

hipercandombe
10-13-2010, 01:53 AM
Hello, I wonder if you could help me with a problem here.
Im trying to use the funtion editor to make an ecosytem of rocks that their density towards the camera is greater and it goes decreasing as its goes way back.. Iv tried to used a distance to camera input node ( in Variable Density funcion editor), but i get no results. Can you guide me and help me how is the best way to achieve this? Thanks

jeppers113d
10-13-2010, 04:03 AM
its actually pretty simple, first you're going to want to look at your terrain from the top view, take a final rendered image of the top view and bring it into photoshop.

now what you're going to do is lets say your camera is at 6' o clock right in the bottom middle, you mentioned you want your rock ecosystem the most dense, in photoshop, create a layer on top of your image you brought in, and on top of that layer paint everything you want really dense in black, and the gradually paint to white where you want the ecosystem less dense. or even no rock population, so on a scale factor of 0 - 10, 0 being no population (white) and 10 being fully populated most dense (black) you now have a gradient map populated to your liking.

save that out 512 x 512 bitmap greyscale

go to the density tab, then go to the function editor for density, click the icon to insert image and load that image you created in PS in there.

I sometimes get confused on the black and white of vue, so if its not as dense towards the camera, go back to the load image, and click invert option.

hope that helps =)

any other questions feel free to ask...
~jeppers

don't leave any transparent places, color those white

hipercandombe
10-13-2010, 06:00 AM
Hey man, thankyou very much, Ill tell you how it went. If i get into trouble again i'll askyou again. Thanks again. Bye

CGTalk Moderation
10-13-2010, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.