PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 10...will there be a construction stack?

adrencg
10-12-2010, 04:45 PM
I want to go back to my roots with LW, when they release 10 -- but after working with XSI's construction stack for the last few years, it would be hard to live without it. Will the new LW have anything similar? I couldn't find the info.

Also, does anyone know about a pass system being integrated?

adrencg
10-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Finally found it. Looks like it has a modifier stack -- this is great news.

earwax69
10-13-2010, 10:29 PM
You sure? I was thinking only CORE will have the modifiers stack and history...

DSW
10-14-2010, 01:22 AM
CORE is part of LW10.

earwax69
10-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Ho... well... cool! :surprised

Cageman
10-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Hi adrencg,

For a clarification of what LW10 is, take a look at this video: http://tv.newtek.com/player.php?recordID=96

As you will notice, LW10 consist of 3 applications; Layout, Modeler and CORE. The historystack as well as Modifier stack will not be avaliable in Layout or Modeler, but both are allready present in CORE.

CORE will replace both Layout and Modeler in the future, making LW a fully integrated environment, but until that happens, Layout and Modeler are further enhanced to give more productivity to the users. CORE will be able to do things not possible in Layout or Modeler and interchange between them is being worked on.

All this said, if you are used to XSI and the way you model there, I'm not sure LW10 will be what you are looking for regarding modeling. As I wrote; CORE will eventually get there, but I'm not sure it will be developed to such a degree that would allow you to completely switch from XSI with the release of LW10.

However, LW10 Layout (and CORE) do have some things going for them that makes them attractive for sure. I honestly think that LW10 with VPR (both Layout and CORE) and further developments regarding the renderengine is well worth the price of upgrade. Since XSI has PointOven, bringing assets over from XSI to LW for shading/rendering is as easy as counting to 3.

:)

earwax69
10-14-2010, 11:59 PM
That video is just showing the new flashy features. Nothing really about the workflow between Core, layout and modeler. But your post was informative, thanks. I guess we will no be able to see how it all interact until we get our hands on the real thing.

I just wish my boss is gonna let me update our package. We tend to use more and more 3ds max but I still go back to LW when there is not much deformation to do.

Cageman
10-17-2010, 06:00 PM
That video is just showing the new flashy features. Nothing really about the workflow between Core, layout and modeler. But your post was informative, thanks. I guess we will no be able to see how it all interact until we get our hands on the real thing.

Now that www.newtek.com is set back to the ordinary page, I have to clarify something here. Yes, you are absolutely correct that the video only showed some of the new features... it was clearly an overview presentation of what LW10 will be.

That said, if you read the text below the video (when it was on the frontpage), it stated that during the following months, more videos will be done to showcase specific features in more detail, as well as workflows.

:)

CGTalk Moderation
10-17-2010, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.