PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Improve!!!

neekah
10-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Can I get a critique on this? What can be improved on: 1) drawing/anatomy, 2) painting/shading, 3) skin tones/color theory....Thankshttp://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab252/nika4843/flower.jpg

stuh505
10-09-2010, 04:37 AM
I like your overall color palette, the skin hues and the form and shading of the hair.

As for what could be improved, the black outlines are a crutch that scream, "I'm not even trying to make it look real, so don't judge this picture for realistic shading, color, or form." Now don't get me wrong there is an art form to cartoons as well but it's a whole different ball game.

I say lose the dark lines. Some of them are not positively accentuating her features either, such as the lip lines which almost give her a hint of beard. The shading on the chest does not give the right impression of shaped breasts and on the arms it looks too flat. Her head looks overly tall.

LjSketch
10-09-2010, 06:25 PM
I agree with Stuh on the dark lines, come to think of it, the entire crit is spot on.

In some places you are using value to define the forms, i.e collarbone and cheek bones. If you are going to use value, it would be less distracting to continue that method throughout your piece. If you are going for a cartoon look, try varying your line width as you define the forms.

Are you using a reference?

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2010, 06:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.