PDA

View Full Version : Piano Room, Max4ever (3D)

Max4ever
10-04-2003, 10:43 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/17264/pianoroom_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/17264/pianoroom.jpg)

Thnx to all from the WIP section for helping me out.

Ac0rN
10-04-2003, 10:50 PM
damn dude ! that looks so realistic :applause: :eek: :thumbsup:

NeBuLa
10-04-2003, 10:55 PM
wow very nice i really like the light i this picture very nice work.

Man
10-04-2003, 10:58 PM
great job man

the only thing bothering me is the giant "thing to smoke" (don't remember the name of it)..way too big!

BUT THAT'S IT

everything is great:the models,the shaders ,the lighting

congratulations

Gatling
10-04-2003, 11:03 PM
Very very nice :applause:

The only thing that I find distracting is that the background (the tree) is so obviously copied twice, in both of the windows. If you could find another picture for the farther window, or preferably even model the brush, then it will come out much better in the end :D

Xtra
10-04-2003, 11:03 PM
Fantastic work! BTW: did you use Max for rendering, too?

Max4ever
10-05-2003, 12:16 AM
@Xtra: no, V-ray.
@Gatling: I'll see what I can do about that.
@knoxville: hmmm, I have to disagree...it looks ok in my opinion.
NeBuLa and Ac0rN 10x guys

superfly18
10-05-2003, 12:35 AM
Dude, the piano, i'm sorry, but the piano kills the picture. It looks composited into the scene, which is why i thought you did a photograph rather than a full render. Adjust the piano's height.

poisonspider
10-05-2003, 12:39 AM
i want to see a wireframe please, also can you message me on aim (poisonspider35) or msn (spencer@travel-net.com)

superfly18
10-05-2003, 12:41 AM
Dude, the piano, i'm sorry, but the piano kills the picture. It looks composited into the scene, which is why i thought you did a photograph rather than a full render. Adjust the piano's height.

Rivendale
10-05-2003, 01:36 AM
Wow, that's great work max4ever!
It's just about perfect other than the piano maybe as superfly18 said. Didn't really notice it before he said it though. One thing that would improve the image is if something was happening in there, maybe a girl sleeping in the chair/sofa thing ;) , but it's beautiful as it is.
:beer:

Max4ever
10-05-2003, 03:30 PM
I'll show the wireframe on monday when I'll get to work.
the piano looks composited maybe because of the fake DOF...
what do you mean the hight? is it too big or what?
10x

Raul-Reznek
10-05-2003, 04:33 PM
bastard :P :D

e338
10-05-2003, 04:49 PM
hi,
let's say piano's a bit too tall i think.
anyway, great render

mmm.
you hear that?

listen...

maya maya maya maya maya maya maya maya maya maya maya maya maya maya maya maya

:scream:

Max4ever
10-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Raul, talk to the hand coz the face ain't listening :D
e338, I can hear something but it sure isn't maya...it's xsi :D
:beer:

funchski
10-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Great image, but I have a couple of comments:

1- Piano. I think that it does look too tall - perhaps the legs appear too long in relation to the body?
It might also be because of the seat being too low - is th seat one of the footstools from the foreground? If so, then it might be an idea to create a taller version ( or a new stool ).

The material of the piano looks too grey. I assume that it is supposed to be a black piano, but I think you need to adjust the falloff of the reflection. The reflections as they are seem to "wash out" the black.

2- The footstools in the foreground. The fabric texture (very nice by the way) goes in the same direction. Rotating them with respect to each other would look more natural.

Well done.

funchski

Kreaction
10-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Very good job man ! especially lighting..:beer:

I've seen your wip and i think you've take the better way !

can't wait monday...!:buttrock:

elnady
10-05-2003, 07:49 PM
Hi max4ever Great work
Like all the scene:thumbsup:
hey Rual :thumbsdow

ReSeT
10-05-2003, 10:27 PM
but the piano kills the picture

don't think so...

This is a great image and you've done the photorealistic thing very well. Especially your lighting is very good and you've done awesome texture work. Didn't think, that MAX is able to render something like this.

well done :thumbsup:

Salaadin
10-05-2003, 10:38 PM
this is really neat man you did a great job with the texturing and the lighting amazing.. but i have one tiny question ..
the reflection of the plant on the floor is confusing because the plant seems far and if it had any reflection it would be on the carpet nest to it and we wouldn't see it,, but that reflection makes it look like its closer that it appears..

i dont know if im just imagining that but that's what i see..
other than that it amazing and it should definitely be on the 1st page

keep it up

:thumbsup:

kinglamoni22
10-06-2003, 02:43 AM
just thiken up the main part of the piano so its a little thicker. keep the higth the same, grab the pollys that are on the bottom part and pull them down a couple inches. this will keep your piano at the same higth so you can see it over the chair but it will make the legs shorter so it doesnt look supper tall. laters.

sCM redruM
10-06-2003, 03:37 AM
I'm dying to see a wire...

This is an exceptional piece...The piano proportion is off a little off, but other than that, there is no flaws...

Truly a remarkable piece...
ruM's OUT...

r3dbu11`
10-06-2003, 11:59 AM
the piano is a little bit too high try lowering it and then it should look just fine
the rest of the pic looks great, nice furniture, nice ambient, nice light.
Home Sweet Home i could call it :)

Carm3D
10-06-2003, 12:01 PM
Great stuff... The view outside the window is all photograph right? It looks like some chromatic aberration inherant in some digital cameras.

I hope that "thing to smoke" is just a set decoration. Those are bad for your health.

cuse
10-06-2003, 12:06 PM
ouch,

you smell. great work.

cuse

Kvaalen
10-06-2003, 12:06 PM
Great job! It looks realistic.

BTW, that "thing to smoke" is called a pipe and they exist in many sizes. ;)

cermit
10-06-2003, 12:37 PM
thats really amazing..only that what is outside the window (the photo) needs some improvements

Max4ever
10-06-2003, 12:42 PM
wow! plugged, cool! :beer:
here is the wire...a screenshot of the project.
let's answer some questions now:

1- Piano. I think that it does look too tall / The material of the piano looks too grey
I'll modify it. 10x
the reflection of the plant on the floor is confusing
That's the way max rendered it...the plant is on the floor, so tehnicaly is correct.
The view outside the window is all photograph right?
yep! :rolleyes:
I'll be back with the refined piece. 10x again for support.:beer:
http://dragos.eonet.ro/wire01.jpg

Carm3D
10-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Don't roll your eyes at me, mister.. I'll take that "thing to smoke" and make you use it until it effects your singing voice!

safakoner
10-06-2003, 12:51 PM
excellent :applause:

rickycox
10-06-2003, 01:12 PM
It looks good, but I keep finding myself counting the clones.

Jedi_Sav
10-06-2003, 01:29 PM
Amazing.

I love the cracked wall/column base, totally immaculate with a bit of real life.

Sherif.Nagib
10-06-2003, 01:41 PM
I knew you're one hell of max user since i saw the great job you done with simcloth & afterburn in vfxtalk.com :buttrock:

Wonderer
10-06-2003, 01:47 PM
What can I say that haven't already sayd yet? It's awesome!:eek: :thumbsup:

Kel Solaar
10-06-2003, 02:58 PM
Excellent rendering, very realistic!

Max4ever
10-06-2003, 03:06 PM
achilles81, hey man, glad to see you here!:beer:
Carm3D I'm a heavy smoker so...not a chance.
:p
10x all, I'm glad you like it.:thumbsup:

urgaffel
10-06-2003, 04:13 PM
It's a really nice piece, but there's one thing bugging me, and that's the blue lightin the back of the room, where the piano is. It seems that it'd be more yellow/orangeish tones because of the foliage outside. The light you have now looks as if it was a bluesky outside, not green/yellow foliage. Other than that, nice one.

joie
10-06-2003, 04:27 PM
There is no way to play that piano, either the piano is too tall, but the really important things is that the "chair" is so much low, you would finish with a terrible pain in your wrists...

Max4ever
10-06-2003, 05:27 PM
Sorry guys, Parite-B(for those who know the virus) has devastated my computer :annoyed: it apears to infect the .exe files...it will take a while to reinstall the system. I'll rescale the piano as soon as I have a max workin'.

Zanmato
10-06-2003, 06:50 PM
Exceptional work! :thumbsup:
Excellent use of lighting. No crits.

Mindgem
10-06-2003, 09:04 PM
Raul-Reznek

Your site is NOT up again...

Goon
10-06-2003, 09:06 PM
It feels warm. :drool:
Very nice job man, your lighting and textures are fantastic.

this might be some strange feature of the furniture, but unless they have some sort of built in support lining the sides of the cushions, those chairs have never, ever, ever, been sat in. they are too perfectly flat.

Raphael-Lacoste
10-06-2003, 09:11 PM
yeah if your objective is to be realistic, you should be more documented to model the piano ;)
the plate under the keys is really too flat and also the board, too thin...

Max4ever
10-06-2003, 09:56 PM
El Rafo, hey man, your kung-fu is great! I admire your talent :beer:
about the picture...well the piano is modeled after references...I never model without references unless it is a fantasy scene.
Mindgem you read my mind
Goon, some of them are flat...some are used...look carefully.
Zanmato 10x dude, the light and atmosphere is the whole idea in this picture.

here are some shots of the piano from wip
http://dragos.eonet.ro/wip02.jpg
http://dragos.eonet.ro/wip04.jpg
http://dragos.eonet.ro/wip11.jpg

as you can see in the previous versions, the piano is modeled ok...in the image without reflection, the piano looks tall...with reflection it looks smaller...that's beacuse the keys are reflecting into the piano creating the illusion that is smaller...damn i have to practice my english.

jalingo
10-06-2003, 10:11 PM
First, I like it a lot. It's very realistic and the lighting is great.

For some reason, and I have no clue why, it looks like a render of miniatures - a really detailed dollhouse. Perhaps because everything is smooth. I don't know - sorry.

Shinova
10-06-2003, 10:26 PM
I am sooo tempted to try getting in 3ds (I'm on Maya right now). Those shots look awesome.

And I think the piano keys are each a bit too wide, but other than that, awesome pics!:thumbsup:

joie
10-06-2003, 10:56 PM
mmm, you have to search for some pianos documentation, the piano keyboards have 88 keys, you have 7 octaves (aprox) and 5 black keys in every octave (except the first and the last octave whose are unfinished), so you have two black keys missing in every octave (each octave is made of 7 white keys and 5 black keys).
Search in google and pay attention to that details, Im a pianist and I cant understand a piano room if the piano (wich is the center of interest) is made wrong...
I hope Ive helped you.

:)

gromdt
10-07-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Salaadin
i have one tiny question ..
the reflection of the plant on the floor is confusing because the plant seems far and if it had any reflection it would be on the carpet nest to it and we wouldn't see it,, but that reflection makes it look like its closer that it appears..

I noticed that too Salaadin.

I also think the reflection of the wooden armrests in the foreground may need to be bumped down just a tad.

These are just suggestions, you've created a great portfolio piece. Congrats.

modestmouse
10-07-2003, 12:55 AM
I wish I have a 3D camera! :scream:

linus3d
10-07-2003, 02:59 AM
Looks excellent, except for the piano.

Terro
10-07-2003, 03:16 AM
About time it reached the Finished section. Everytime I posted on it in the WIP I could not see anything else you could add, but you proved me wrong. This is amazing work and you my friend have a great imagination :)

facial
10-07-2003, 05:04 AM
Nice job, I love this feeling about lighting. :thumbsup:

dbach
10-07-2003, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by riki
It looks good, but I keep finding myself counting the clones.

I agree.

I think that it is a little odd for there to be a great big chiped tile and big sections of removed paint in one part of an otherwise immaculate room.

I like the lighting although I think I prefer the stronger contrast provided in the test renders.

Nice work,

- Don

hackie
10-07-2003, 06:44 AM
you are the god of lighting!!!!
i'm bowing to you, man!!

ji.:buttrock:

sixthe45
10-07-2003, 08:22 AM
This is truly photorealistic stuff. :applause:
Lighting is top quality.

MikeNash
10-07-2003, 08:28 AM
Very nice,very realistic work
The piano looks good enough,i think maybe darken colour of it,who knows
I would construct 3d background instead of using realilfe pictures,its pretty hard to get away with making real life pictures match your cgi level of realism.
A 3D enviroment will give you that nice depth for the outside

Sqwall
10-07-2003, 09:29 AM
Nice. Nut there is one thing that bothers me. The outside photo. :p

RAF
10-07-2003, 09:43 AM
WOW, great indoor scene! very fantasic materials. Atmospheric lightning!:thumbsup:

Max4ever
10-07-2003, 10:05 AM
"I would construct 3d background instead of using realilfe pictures"

agree, when animating...on a still I don't see the reason.

"It looks good, but I keep finding myself counting the clones. "

I lost that tehnical sense long ago...if it looks good I don't see
why I shouldn't clone it. btw, how many chairs do you have in the house? how many different?look at the floor, how tile is it?in interior design, clones look good, gives you a balance; it's abut ritm...I know that because I'm a student at arhitecture, interior design.
the only thing that bothers me is the main entrance...I had to sacrifice the the utility of the room and go for the atmosphere...

"I prefer the stronger contrast provided in the test renders."

that's a fake lighting...the real lighting is brighter, I had this talk on WIP section and they all agree: there must be more light. Another thing, when is dust in the air the contrast is low.

"Looks excellent, except for the piano."

And I know why is that...because the piano was first built for a modern kinda' room...then I choose that furniture...If i modeled the furniture first, I would choose the propriate piano for it. Anyway I changed that piano before got infected with parite-B...the scene is kaput. I'll come back for it one day....

"the reflection of the plant on the floor is confusing"

I already had this conversation.

"the piano keyboards have 88 keys, you have 7 octaves (aprox) and 5 black keys "

...joie, touche! I modeled the piano after references but the white and black keys made me dizzy so I've just droped them on the piano...black, white...who's gonna notice...eh, it seems you've noticed, 10x man :beer:

"it looks like a render of miniatures "

that's the effect of DOF. it always gives you that impresion on a large scale, like an interior for example. I saw photographs with DOF and they look miniature indeed.
hope I answered some questions.
10x to all for support and for giving me honest crits: they sure helpe me evolve.
:thumbsup:

brunner
10-07-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by max4ever
[B"it looks like a render of miniatures "

that's the effect of DOF. it always gives you that impresion on a large scale, like an interior for example. I saw photographs with DOF and they look miniature indeed.[/B]
Or is it just you overdoing the DOF? :cool:
You're always abusing it ;)

behzad
10-07-2003, 05:55 PM
I love it, looks amazing. Foarte bine.

behzad

Max4ever
10-07-2003, 06:15 PM
brunner, U know I love you but...bah tu tii cu ursu'? :beer: :scream:
behzad, saru'mana :D

JA-forreal
10-07-2003, 06:51 PM
I love your renders!

With GI rendering it just "Set it and forget it!" The only thing I have to focus on at times is the shadow light setup. Soft or hard.

Max4ever
10-07-2003, 07:08 PM
"With GI rendering it just "Set it and forget it!" "
yes, if you want a 10 hours render...
the render took only 45 minutes at this resolution...

Vulkin
10-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Mhhhhh... Very Nice ! I like Lightning :beer: :beer:

Krix
10-07-2003, 08:28 PM
Great Job!

I posted a photo to another forum as a CG picture and i've got interesting critisms. I wanted to point how different people look at a picture if they know (or believe) that is fake.

I think the Piano is just good...the only thing that the "stool" what is next to it kinda small compare to the piano. Well, it's not a pianochair...so nobody could play well if sit on that stool. That confuse people.

Great GI/Lighting setup! Great work!

Krix

Mindgem
10-07-2003, 10:14 PM
where is this thread Krix,
i browsed all your posts and saw nothing.

Max4ever
10-07-2003, 10:17 PM
Vulkin, 10x man.
"I posted a photo to another forum as a CG picture and i've got interesting critisms"
well Krix, there will always be critics...no matter what...the important thing is to choose the right ones and learn from your mistakes.
BTW, the piano chair is indeed a little bit smaller...I know that...I also know that the piano keys are not corect...and many other things. Next time I'll be better, that's the whole idea about a CG forum :beer: :thumbsup:

joie
10-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Well, its when you think that nobody will notice the mistake that appears someone (me in this case), who "only" see that mistake...

Sorry but, as a pianist, I needed to noticed the wrong keyboard configuration, hope you will be able to forgive me, will you?

:D

Krix
10-08-2003, 12:51 AM
Hey Joie,

Are you serious? I have a piano at home...but from here (far) I cannot really tell. Can you really see the keyboard configuration?

...or maybe I only need glasses...

:surprised

Krix

Max4ever
10-08-2003, 01:03 AM
in the final image you can't tell...but in page 2 I've posted some early stages...with the piano close-up, my mistake, I'll choose baloons for 800. :D
joie, np dude! I apreciate that.:beer:

joie
10-08-2003, 09:54 AM
As he said, with the global shot Id never have seen those details (only the proportions), but he posted a close-up and I noticed...

The piano keyboard is not as simple as everybody seems to know..., all the keys in an octave are totally diferent, so you have to model them separatelly and, when the entire octave is modelled, you can then start to duplicate them (7 times).

You know, I tried many years ago to make a render of a close-up of a keyboard, and its really painfull...

dbach
10-10-2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by max4ever

"It looks good, but I keep finding myself counting the clones. "

I lost that tehnical sense long ago...if it looks good I don't see
why I shouldn't clone it. btw, how many chairs do you have in the house? how many different?look at the floor, how tile is it?in interior design, clones look good, gives you a balance; it's abut ritm...I know that because I'm a student at arhitecture, interior design.

I can see your point however, I could ask you how often it is that you have the exact same curle to the corners of pillows (the big orange ones) or the exact same indent in the otomans. As a design render I don't thing you have to worry to much about things like that but I thought it was being presented as a still life, or maby you intendid it as a still life? :)

Out,

-Don

Krix
10-10-2003, 05:59 AM
As he said, with the global shot Id never have seen those details (only the proportions), but he posted a close-up and I noticed...

Yeas sorry! I haven't seen that...

I was so amazed about the first picture that I instantly posted my opinion. On the close up it is obvious, you are right.

Anyway dude MAXFOREVER guy! Goddamn good job!

Keep you in great work dude!

Cheers,
Krix

joie
10-10-2003, 09:15 AM
Hello, I modelled this keyboard in order to explain the advantages of NonLinearAnimation in MAYA, I supposed you mayd be interested.

Cheers!

Max4ever
10-10-2003, 10:16 AM
joie, nice keyboard. I know some things about maya, in fact I start working with it 1 week and then get back to max...I had several attempts, not working for me. The modeling instead is realy cool but the render kills me. I'll stick with max 'till a better version of Mental Ray.:beer:
Krix, 10x dude :thumbsup:
"I could ask you how often it is that you have the exact same curle to the corners of pillows "
Indeed you could, dbach, and I'll tell you to look closer. there is a noise aplyed to each pillow so it wouldn't look the same, also the mesh is modyfied for some of them. They can't be totaly different.
Look also at the wires, you'll see that the amount of polys is different for some pillows.

DustinBrown
10-12-2003, 05:20 AM
Thats pretty damn sweet. The content is a bit yuppie for my taste, but thats alright. Everything is pretty top notch, IMO, except the composition of the image. Also I think the DOF needs to be extended a bit.

-Dustin

Max4ever
10-12-2003, 11:11 AM
10x Dustin, the composition had to be sacrificed for the look. The DOF is fake, made in After Effects; I'll try a DOF from V-ray later.

lildragon
10-18-2003, 09:05 AM
Really nice work here, but it's not quite lived in enough, I see you started with the cracks at the base of the door and column, but the cushions barely have indents in them :). And yes the piano is a bit tall, but overall well done.

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Great work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_oct03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

Max4ever
10-18-2003, 12:46 PM
:love:
Thanks lildragon.
This is a good day :D

mhsf
08-29-2004, 01:23 PM
J like it.

Max4ever
08-30-2004, 07:18 AM
wow, I thought this thread is dead already :))
I'm glad you like it pal. :)

gogator100
07-03-2005, 09:02 PM
This is very realistic ..
Can u share light setup? if u can hehehe

CGTalk Moderation
07-03-2005, 09:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.