PDA

View Full Version : Edge loop insertion (Curve)

Mattflip
10-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Hi all, this is my first time on this forum and i hope you can help. My query is..

Is their a way to insert an edge loop into a circle and keep the correct curvature instead of the curve being flattened. I'm use Maya

I'm currently stuck creating a high poly motorbike wheel rim due to this problem, surely their is a way around it??

Thanks all

Mattflip
10-15-2010, 12:34 PM
31 views and no one knows how to insert an edge loop into a circle without it flattening that edge. That's not so good lol, its such a basic thing that you would have thought auto desk would have implemented, like they have in 3d max,not a fan of 3d max tho unfortunately

Thank you anyway

Nyro
10-15-2010, 02:46 PM
I fear you might have not described your issue clearly enough.

An edgeloop on a circle? Why don't you post a screenshot of the model in question and maybe use photoshop to point out where you want the edgeloop to be. I'm having a hard time visualising your problem based on your description alone.
Judging by my own experience, having to clarify/post just to find out what someone is asking about deterrs potential problem solvers from actually taking on your issue. We're a lazy bunch ;)

ezekiel66
10-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Is there a way to insert an edge loop into a circle and keep the correct curvature instead of the curve being flattened. I'm use Maya

Apart from the fact that you cannot insert an edge loop into a circle (due to the fact that a curve circle does not have any edges. What you are talking about probably is a poly cylinder or torus): no, there isn't. And I do not know of any 3D program that has such a feature implemented.

You have to either tweak the vertices by hand, or maybe move the appropriate edges by assigning a push operator.

Nyro
10-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Ah sorry, now I think I understand what the issue is.

Interesting, this question has been asked before (or at least a very similar one) and it's been discussed in detail in this thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=25&t=871293&highlight=torus).

Maybe you'll find some help there (the gist of the solution: add the edgeloop directly next to an existing one, then rotate the new edgeloop with the pivot set to object center)

RappyBMX
10-17-2010, 04:33 AM
And I do not know of any 3D program that has such a feature implemented.

well in max you can do this by script... see http://vimeo.com/15029844 at 0:56

earlyworm
10-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Even though that is quite a useful feature - that script doesn't do what is wanted here as adding that edge will still result in a change to the subdivision surface (adding the edge like it did would result in the surface lifting up from it's original position).

Decency
10-21-2010, 03:04 PM
And I do not know of any 3D program that has such a feature implemented.

3ds max has this... flow connect:)

CGTalk Moderation
10-21-2010, 03:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.